Curaçao's Floating bridge-gone!

Caribensun

In General Curacao is very safe. We have been to the island about 15 times over the last 5 or six years. Three cruises and the rest flying down and hotel stay.

Like anywhere you should be aware of your surroundings. We have walked all over the town at night with no problems. The people generally have a higher standard of living than most islands, and are very friendly and helpful. About 40% percent of the tourists are from Holland, and that makes it interesting.

First impressions (both times I was there) were enough to deter me from going any further. Some of those little side streets in the tacky tourist area were off-putting enough. I would not have felt safe.

I understand your feelings and think you are wise to avoid areas in which you wouldn't feel safe. I'm male, big and in good shape and I've wandered through some pretty seedy areas during my international travels, but even I remain security conscious at all times. My threshold, though, is higher than yours, and before visiting any new city or city that I haven't visited in a number of years I research crime rates, the types of crimes and areas to avoid.

As Steelboat says, Curacao is generally very safe, and my off-the-beaten-track wanders when cruising are during the day. There are many other islands or cities where I would be far more circumspect in my choice of areas to walk.

Do you feel safe going off the beaten path? What is there to see.....residential, historical, architectural, etc?

In the past when the bridge has been moved/opened to let a ship through and hasn't yet closed again I've taken the ferry to the other side, walked past the floating market where fruit & vegetables are sold, walked past a round open market where lotions, perfumes, etc are sold and gone to the post office.

I've then taken a different route back, past several stores, back to the harbor front and across the bridge which by this time is closed again. Very safe.

One of the best things you can do in Willemstad is to take the Queen Emma Bridge (when back in operation after her top deck is replaced) or the Havendienst ferries (or both, one in each direction) across Sint Anna Baai to the Punda side, grab a table under an umbrella right at the water's edge (i.e. at Iguana too), enjoy a lunch (or dinner) of Sate Ayam, among others, and watch the world (and vessels) go by

In the past when the bridge has been moved/opened to let a ship through and hasn't yet closed again I've taken the ferry to the other side, walked past the floating market where fruit & vegetables are sold, walked past a round open market where lotions, perfumes, etc are sold and gone to the post office.

I've then taken a different route back, past several stores, back to the harbor front and across the bridge which by this time is closed again. Very safe.

We made that same walk more than once and enjoyed it. I especially enjoyed when we came back around and we stopped at a fabulous handbag shop (now closed) where I used to feed my passion for lovely pocketbooks. DH used to get such a kick out of my joy at entering that shop. :)

He had a few shops of his own he enjoyed there. :)

We had dinner several times at outdoor patio of a nice restaurant at the Rif Fort area. I enjoyed their fish and DH and I loved the view.

Never once did we feel the least unsafe or threatened and we walked miles many a time at Curacao.

Edited by sail7seas

One of the best things you can do in Willemstad is to take the Queen Emma Bridge (when back in operation after her top deck is replaced) or the Havendienst ferries (or both, one in each direction) across Sint Anna Baai to the Punda side, grab a table under an umbrella right at the water's edge (i.e. at Iguana too), enjoy a lunch (or dinner) of Sate Ayam, among others, and watch the world (and vessels) go by

That's where we stopped for the overpriced drinks, lunch and wifi.;)

Of course, it is overpriced. It's a tourist place. Tourism is one of their biggest revenue sources. You pay for the whole deal....... the view, the weather, the location. If we don't want to pay a bit more than we would at home we can eat on the ship. I am sure you and most here understand that.

Edited by sail7seas

To me, the bridge is the attraction. The other side is just a tacky tourist area and one or two cafes crowded for free wifi and overpriced drinks.

you mean after you cross the bridge? we found lovely spots and would go back in a nano second. Great calamari & very reasonable drinks. and we didn't have to walk that far from the bridge ;)

There seems to be some confusion or misunderstood uptake on my posts.

I love the bridge.

I love Curacao.

The area across the side of the bridge is, to me, tacky tourist area.

The restaurant at the water has a nice lunch and overpriced drinks.

As a woman walking alone, going further than the tacky tourist area, especially seeing some of those seedy side streets, is not for me. I would be happy to explore it if not alone or with DH.

Hope that clarifies.

We're speaking of three different areas. ;)

Have you gone passed the Government Building, through the stone arches to the new, bright, clean, area of restaurants and outdoor patios for drinks, lunch/dinner and views of the water by the rocks?

Not the area right at the floating Bridge, not the area passed the Old Synagogue, but the other area I just described.......

She's back...

I checked the Curacao port authority Facebook page and as of Friday there was a photo of her with this caption:

"KTK towing our Queen Emma Bridge back to Annabay this morning.

While there is still some minor work to be completed on the bridge it is now open for pedestrians."

I read in the Curacao port thread the official reopening is on the 12th...just in time for the Oosterdam. [emoji322]

She's back...

I checked the Curacao port authority Facebook page and as of Friday there was a photo of her with this caption:

"KTK towing our Queen Emma Bridge back to Annabay this morning.

While there is still some minor work to be completed on the bridge it is now open for pedestrians."

I read in the Curacao port thread the official reopening is on the 12th...just in time for the Oosterdam. [emoji322]

Great news, thanks! Koningin Emma brug/Queen Emma bridge is Willemstad, Curacao :)