Curaçao's Floating bridge-gone!

Caribensun

On Princess and HAL we have been docked in Curacao a bit too far for us to walk so we have taken a taxi into town.

Has anyone else found this a problem?

Other than when we've headed out of town, we've always walked, but I'm not sure what you consider to be "into town".

Fortunately, it's not "gone" and not "being replaced by a new bridge" ... simply undergoing repairs & upgrades ... and thank goodness, it's one of our favorite places in our of our favorite ports!

I believe that they pulled the bridge up river, out of the way of the tidal flow, so that they could repair it.

The harbor authority's COO claims they are on schedule. The bridge is part of the November 30th Marathon track, so everyone is keeping their fingers crossed they pull it of in the planned 2 months.

Here's the bridge in Versali bay.

Pontjesbrug-in-de-Baai-van-Versali-foto-Ken-Wong.jpg

Yes. The area near the dock that goes through the Renaissance Hotel and through the fort is complete and it is really nice.

On the other hand, I think the area across bridge (ferry) has gone downhill. The cultural influence seems to have changed since 2007 and alot of the shops that used to carry embroidery and artwork have been replaced with trashy t-shirts.

That's sad. I bought a lovely set of table linens in one of those shops.

Thanks for sharing the pic! I was looking forward to seeing the bridge on our January cruise… Guess I'll just have to advocate for another SoCarib in a year or two. ;)

You're welcome! Curacao is such a great port. So enjoyed a port where you stay in port until 11PM! I can't imagine returning(though I PLAN to!) without the bridge being there and lit up at night!

The harbor authority's COO claims they are on schedule. The bridge is part of the November 30th Marathon track, so everyone is keeping their fingers crossed they pull it of in the planned 2 months.

One of the ferry employees also told me they were on track to have it completed prior to November 30.

Which way do ships usually face when they're docked at Curacao? I was hoping to have dinner on our balcony with a view of the bridge and the town at night.

Every time I've been to Curacao, including last week on Oosterdam, we were port-side-to.

Will we miss anything if we don't take the ferry across into town? I was looking forward to the bridge.

My opinion is no. The shopping is crap. I think the bridge is the biggest highlight to the crossing.

Edited by Aquahound

Will we miss anything if we don't take the ferry across into town? I was looking forward to the bridge.

While I love crossing the bridge, and will do so even more now that I've learned some of its history due to this thread - thanks OP! - I do enjoy walking around on the other side. It should be back in place by time we visit again in March, but I'd definitely take the ferry across if it wasn't.

While I love crossing the bridge, and will do so even more now that I've learned some of its history due to this thread - thanks OP! - I do enjoy walking around on the other side. It should be back in place by time we visit again in March, but I'd definitely take the ferry across if it wasn't.

My opinion is no. The shopping is crap. I think the bridge is the biggest highlight to the crossing.

Thanks for the replies! I think we might take the ferry across if we get bored on the cruise port side.

Didn't mean to scare anyone. Walking across the bridge is the highlight in Curaçao for us and even more special when can do it at night and look back at the ship all lit up. It was definitely a disappointment.

Just wanted to let everyone know so you would not be surprised when arriving at the bridge for your walk and it was missing.

Glad to see you like the bridge too.

Sandipalms

image.jpg.de46f2b5fbd5f197ee2289345c6cb885.jpg

Thanks for the replies! I think we might take the ferry across if we get bored on the cruise port side.

I enjoy the architecture, the history, the floating market, the canal... I travel to enjoy experiencing other countries and their people, not to shop.

To me, the bridge is the attraction. The other side is just a tacky tourist area and one or two cafes crowded for free wifi and overpriced drinks.

That's exactly how I feel. If one wants to experience the country and their people, this is the last place to do it.

To me, the bridge is the attraction. The other side is just a tacky tourist area and one or two cafes crowded for free wifi and overpriced drinks.

That's exactly how I feel. If one wants to experience the country and their people, this is the last place to do it.

Of course it's tacky in the tourist area immediately across the bridge, but if you keep walking far enough you'll get away from that.

Of course it's tacky in the tourist area immediately across the bridge, but if you keep walking far enough you'll get away from that.

Do you feel safe going off the beaten path? What is there to see.....residential, historical, architectural, etc?

First impressions (both times I was there) were enough to deter me from going any further. Some of those little side streets in the tacky tourist area were off-putting enough. I would not have felt safe.