The sad cocktail vouchers

justfred

We've not long returned from a Canary cruise on the Eclpse from Southampton, and although we have previously heard about the dreaded vouchers being issued to the Elete and higher category cruisers, this was the first time that we have actually experienced being issued with them. On our first visit to the sky lounge for the evening cocktail hour armed with our 3 dated Elite complimentary raffle drink vouchers, I asked for a scotch, with ginger in a can please, and the bar man told me that would cost me two of my allocated three vouchers sir. Being treated like this is nothing short of an insult.

The reason given by them why vouchers were being issued was due to the number of Elete's members on board, and that these vouchers could be used only in some of the other less popular bars on board but not in the nice bars , like the martini bar etc. and off of a limited Elite member drinks menu.

We were with other Elite friends in the sky lounge during the evening cockail hour most evenings and this massive lounge which could hold at least 500 people was also open to anybody on the ship.

Please please accept that we are not being stuffy, but after spending thousands of pounds to reach our Elete goal its a great disapointment to have this process dowgraded, very very sad!!! its the thin edge of the wedge and hardly worth the efert and cost to achieve.

I can't say that I blame you for being upset. I guess this is one of the reasons they changed how loyalty points are calculated. Previously it only took 10 sailings to become elite. That's not too difficult even for someone like myself who doesn't cruise that oftern. At the rate that I'm going I will never make it to elite on any line with the new point systems. In all honesty other than the free laundry there really isn't anything at the top tier that compels me to be loyal. I'm quite content with the pricing which includes the drink package. It allows me to drink when and where I want. Good incentives, service and itineraries is what brings me back not loyalty perks or new ships.

Yes, the vouchers have to be used even in the Sky Lounge. This is a difference from Royal who pre-loads the vouchers to your Sea Pass Card (hello modern technology) for use in most all bars except MDR AND still hosts a Diamond Lounge event with unlimited drinks.

Oh well, a little disappointing but not a game changer. We avoided cocktail hour for the first couple of cruises as Elite anyway. Thanks for the info Helen.

I guess this is really a case of one man's trash being another's treasure. I prefer the vouchers because most of the time not everyone I am traveling with is elite and I like the freedom of being able to have a drink with them.

On my last couple of Celebrity cruises they were not using vouchers and the elite cocktail hour was a madhouse. I did not find it very relaxing.

Having the vouchers spreads people out over more of the ship and at least for me, makes it easier for me to get a fresh drink when I want it.

I wish there was a way for each person to get their preference.

Have not cruised with Celebrity for some time..can someone please explain the cocktail vouchers? I am familar with RCL where the Diamond Lounge is open in the evening for free cocktails as well as being given 3 vouchers for drinks in other lounges. How does Celebrity handle it?

It has been a while since my last X cruise, but unless it has changed, it is an either or type of thing.

If there are "too many" elite and above on the cruise, they give each elite and above 3 vouchers per evening for drinks. For a while they were good for just about any drink at any bar, but now it seems they are only good at some bars for the listed cocktails that would have been available during the elite event.

If there are fewer elites on board and the ship feels they can all "fit" in the sky lounge (or wherever the event will be held) they have the event, and no one gets vouchers.

I'm confused too as I'm new to Celebrity. I'm thinking there's three daily vouchers to be used either in the Sky lounge or another bar. However, there isn't additional unlimited drinks in the cocktail hour as well?

I'm just used to RCI Diamond Lounge where it's 3 drinks anywhere loaded on the SeaPass, and unlimited drinks in the Diamond Lounge between 5-8.30.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We like both the Elite Sky lounge and the vouchers. It's a nice "X" perk to meet other cruisers and relax with a cocktail. As others have stated, vouchers allow less crowded venues. Whether on "X" or RCCL we appreciate it!

Have not cruised with Celebrity for some time..can someone please explain the cocktail vouchers? I am familar with RCL where the Diamond Lounge is open in the evening for free cocktails as well as being given 3 vouchers for drinks in other lounges. How does Celebrity handle it?

Hi cruisinpeg,

We have so far been loyal to Celebrity but RCL does the benefits much better in our opinion. When Celebrity decides to issue thier drinks vouchers they only allow you to use them in the Sky lounge, the ensemble lounge,Passport bar or the pool bar, and when your vouchers have been used in any of those locations thats it! Celebrity perks seem to be slowly degrading step by step to the point that other cruise lines that we have not yet tried are becoming to look more atractive by price and the various free beverage packages they offer.

"Be carefull Celebrity"

So you need to have vouchers in the Sky Lounge during the cocktail hours? I thought they were only to be used outside the Sky Lounge to help with crowding.

Hi Big G

"Yes" you must use your vouchers when in the sky lounge during the cocktail hour , and at the same time the lounge is also open to every person on the ship so its not just for Elite or Elite+.

Hi Big G

"Yes" you must use your vouchers when in the sky lounge during the cocktail hour , and at the same time the lounge is also open to every person on the ship so its not just for Elite or Elite+.

Thank you. We've never experienced the vouchers on Celebrity and maybe never will. Either way it wouldn't effect our selection or cruise. Besides, on our next we have a drink package through the 123Go promotion.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hi Big G

When we had vouchers on cruises, the Sky Lounge was closed off to the general public, and only Elites were allowed during happy hour. They provided canapés in the Sky Lounge.

Thank you. We've never experienced the vouchers on Celebrity and maybe never will. Either way it wouldn't effect our selection or cruise. Besides, on our next we have a drink package through the 123Go promotion.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

There appears to be a bit of confusion in this thread. Vouchers are used as the last resort when too many elites are on board. The default is having the party between 5 and 7' very often in the sky lounge. When this is held, that is the only place you can get drinks. celebrity does not have a dedicated lounge like Royal. Everything is explained in the letter you will find in your cabin which also explains the morning breakfast.

Edited by dkjretired

This is one way of cutting back on the perks! Instead of unlimited drinks from 5-7PM, you are now restricted to 3 coupons (3 drinks regardless if that is water, soda and/or booze) when coupons are used. Some people don't care because they don't drink, others because 3 drinks are too many per evening, etc.

Remember, if you don't want to drink or you think 3 drinks is too much, you are not compiled to drink.

No, I do not drink more than 3 drinks per evening. I am just addressing the perk and the cutback.

Celebrity does offer free laundry, however, that is limited, too.

Select -

• Complimentary pressing of 2 garment items

• One standard bag of laundry (wash, dry, fold) at discounted price on all Celebrity Cruises of 12+ nights (NOT IRONED OR PLACED ON HANGER.)

Elite -

• Complimentary dry cleaning of one garment item

• One complimentary bag of laundry (wash, dry, fold) on every sailing (NOT IRONED OR PLACED ON HANGER.)

Elite+ -

Two complimentary bags of laundry (wash, dry, fold) on all Celebrity cruises (NOT IRONED OR PLACED ON HANGER.)

• Complimentary dry cleaning of one item

Zenith - • Complimentary laundry (Don't exactly know what that means? (UNLIMITED???)

Changes are coming! What next???

I am only comparing RCI and Celebrity's drinking perk. Yes, RCI has the best with the Diamond and Concierge Lounges. Free drinks each/every night and 3 coupons that you can use during 5-8PM. Celebrity does not have a dedicated lounge(s.)

Since I am on a roll, what about the Elite and above morning breakfast. They keep changing that around and using different excuses. Is it a menu, 3 tier tray or buffet in the Tuscan Grill? That depends:

1. can't use buffet because there is carpet in that area.

2. too many Elite and above, so we can use buffet and/or menu

What is the norm and what is the real reason?

There appears to be a bit of confusion in this thread. Vouchers are used as the last resort when too many elites are on board. The default is having the party between 5 and 7' very often in the sky lounge. When this is held, that is the only place you can get drinks. celebrity does not have a dedicated lounge like Royal. Everything is explained in the letter you will find in your cabin which also explains the morning breakfast.

Totally inconsistent from ship-to-ship, cruise-to-cruise. I just vented about this.

When we had vouchers on cruises, the Sky Lounge was closed off to the general public, and only Elites were allowed during happy hour. They provided canapés in the Sky Lounge.

They did not close off the Sky Lounge when we had the vouchers on our Feb 2015 cruise. Everyone could enter since those who were provided PAPER VOUCHERS had to use them to get a drink. In addition, the vouchers are suppose to be good only for that night and time. What difference would it make if they give you 3 coupons and you wanted to use them before or after 5-7PM? You only getting 3 drinks regardless of the time of day. This would not put a burden on any bar or staff.

Why not put this on your Cruise Card like RCI does it, instead of using PAPER?

Edited by Oxo

Hi Big G

That was also our experience on the Eclipse last month - the Sky Lounge was open to everyone. We met some first-time cruisers who said they came along every night because they liked the canapes.;)

We enjoy the Elite event in the Sky Lounge - it's not about getting a free drink, but it's usually more of a social get-together than just ordering a drink in a bar. On a ship where most pax seemed to have drinks packages, three drinks vouchers restricted to certain drinks during a particular time slot, and effectively no Elite lounge, did not seem like much of a perk!:eek:

Edited by Suzy Smith

Thanks. I just didn't realize the difference between the two voucher systems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On our upcoming cruise on Celebrity we will be Elite , but bought the "best" drink package. I guess we won't be needing the vouchers?

Or will we?

I can see us using a few vouchers (we will also have the drink package) for bottles of water and cans of soda. They allow you to use all the vouchers at once for these things (at least that was our experience). We found that we did like to have the bottled water in the cabin and that was the easiest way to get several.

Now, back to the OP. You said

I asked for a scotch, with ginger in a can please
is that like saying that you would like a glass of scotch (or however you would phrase it)and a can of ginger ale soda?

If yes, I guess that is 2 vouchers, and if not, why is it not 2 vouchers?

We have had the vouchers only once. We sat every evening near the Oceanview bar. We enjoyed it very much. Our last 2 cruises we had the drink packages. We still went to the Sky Lounge. We like talking to other people and having some appetizers before dinner. Our last cruise there were only about 65 or 75 Elite/Elite+.