Cutbacks

Hoveto

I'm posting this from QV, in Lisbon.

No evidence of any cutbacks. The Maitre d' has asked us every day, if we want anything special. So far, I've had smoked salmon with a caviar topping, NY strip steak and crepes (not all on the same plate). In a couple of days, we're having Peking Duck.

The service and attention is as good as ever.

Stewart

That's reassuring. Wishing we were on board :(

• 2 weeks later...

Just to summarise; there was little evidence of any cutbacks. The only exception was one day as I was passing the Queens Room, on the afternoon of a reception, I did see two of the staff wheeling in a trolley full of Spumante (not even Pol Acker).

Thankfully when we attended any receptions, and as we are known to a few of the staff, we did manage to be served Delamotte.

Incidentally, we were stitched up by some friends.

About a year ago, I took one of my sons on a roundtrip TA. We knew that four of our friends would be on board, but never told them. We managed to sneak up on them as they waited for lunch (on embarkation day) in the Golden Lion, and surprised them.

On 16 November, our driver got us to Ocean at 12:15 pm and as Diamond Queens Grillers, we were shown a check in desk immediately, then after a few minutes we went to the security check.

At this point, a stupid woman who was herding the queue, walked up and down “reminding” all pax, to make sure they had no alcohol in their hand luggage as this would be confiscated. I told her she was talking rubbish, and let her know that we were carry 4 bottles of fizz. She went on to say that the rules had changed some time ago and it was no longer permitted. Again I told her she was talking utter nonsense and pointed out that only a few weeks prior, I had travelled on QM2 and taken fizz on board.

She was adamant, and had the stupidity to tell me that she has been on more Cunard cruises then me, so knew best. Idiot.

There is no rule change and we took our fizz on board.

After dumping off out hand luggage, and checking that we had our usual restaurant table, we headed off to the Grill Lounge for a quick glass of something before lunch.

As we entered, we immediately saw two of our friends propping up the bar (why won’t they move the stools like they keep promising). Obviously we got the surprise. They told us that they wanted to quickly go down to the GLP to see one of the senior waiters who had just transferred from QM2 and as we also know him, they wanted us to go too. We went with them, and lo and behold there, sitting was the other two members of the gang! Deuce.

Hattie might be interested to learn that there was also a silent auction in aid of the Prince’s Trust.

One of the items offered was the Commodore’s Flag.

As the Commodore knows our crowd, he told us the history etc. and posed with us for photos.

I bid for it, and the next day received a letter to say that I was successful. It will now join the rest of my Cunard memorabilia.

So no complaints. A good trip. Too much food and drink and excellent restaurant service.

Looking forward to our next on QE in 2016.

Stewart

Thanks for the update and for letting me know about the flag. Did he tell you how long they keep them ? Have they been keeping them to auction them off all at once or do they only use them for a month ??

Edited by Host Hattie

Thanks for the update and for letting me know about the flag. Did he tell you how long they keep them ? Have they been keeping them to auction them off all at once or do they only use them for a month ??

They've probably got a cupboard full of them!

I did receive a personalised letter from Commodore Christopher, giving the thing some provenance. It has actually been up the flag pole!