Cutbacks

Hoveto

We were on QE Grills a few months back. We have found prices up and offerings down. The staff are still very attentive but restricted and the suites are getting tired. We wont be back to Cunard, we are Diamond members. We are also followers of Princess and Seabourn. The later we have reading posts on CC and appears that people are not happy there. One of the complaints has been on some cruises the MDR is closed for Breakfast and Lunch.

IS THIS A CARNIVAL THING.

Where to from here or do we stay at home and make the most of our country??

Hi Lakesregion

Let me take your comments a step further as you and I have been sailing and observing for more than a few years. Ten years ago Cunard rarely sent out any sales material on the Grills. Those that sailed Grill knew what it involved, knew the cost and booked in sufficient number to fill them on a regular basis. Of course then there were but two ships not three and then was then and now is now with many of the true grill passenger having passed to that great ocean in the sky. Now it is a rare day that an expensive mailer does not land with a thud in my mail box flogging the charms of the Grills.
My post box as well...
Also, ten years ago the number of Grill passengers posting to CC were very rare.
Yes, I have observed the increase of posts from Grills passengers over the years as well. They seemed few and far between when I first joined CC.
Did one "Ever" hear from the Rosenbergs? who used to book both QG master suites for full world cruises on the QE2. Therefore, in my opinion Cunard feels that with their mass marketing of the Grills, they are reaching a market that for the most part does not live the Grill life back home and anything "above and beyond" so to speak will work. This has allowed Cunard (or so they think) to slowly reduce the real Grill experience.
Which is foolish and short sighted.

I can see that Carnival are careful when placing their brands, so they don't compete one against the other.

Subsequently they don't mind if passengers move away from one Carnival brand, as long as they migrate to another Carnival brand (and not Celebrity, NCL, RCCL).

But there should surely be a gap between P&O (and Princess), and Seabourn, where Cunard could find a home?

With Cunard Britannia grade being "tweaked"/upgraded to be better in all respects to P&O, and the Grills being almost as good as Seabourn (maybe without the drinks package, and remembering the size of QM2 against Seabourn ships).

Cunard could bridge the gap in the range of brands, so to speak.

Mind you, it would require work in both Britannia and Grills to do this.

Happy sailings to you :)

Pepperrn I totally agree. I have been commenting on other cruise line threads often when people expect the same quality as xx number of years ago but at the same time want a bargain. You rarely get both.
Hi Deeliteful,

So very true!

I often travel solo so get stung on price anyway but I am willing to pay over the odds for something I know I will enjoy. I can't afford grills prices -particularly as a solo traveller - but I still expect good quality food, accommodation and entertainment.
As do I, and so far, despite small cutbacks over the years, I feel I get great value for money in Britannia grade. I've not had a bad voyage yet. I wouldn't keep going back if I did. I can count the number of poor meals I've had on the fingers of one hand. The same goes for poor service. 99% of the time I have the most amazing time (and I soon forget the 1%!). I've had some of the most memorable times of my life with family or friends on board Cunard ships.
If I get that then it's worth the money I paid. If I don't then it's worth nothing because I would not pay anything for poor quality. Hope that ramble makes sense!
Perfect sense :) Thank you so much. Edited by pepperrn

We were on QE Grills a few months back. We have found prices up and offerings down. The staff are still very attentive but restricted and the suites are getting tired. We wont be back to Cunard, we are Diamond members. We are also followers of Princess and Seabourn. The later we have reading posts on CC and appears that people are not happy there. One of the complaints has been on some cruises the MDR is closed for Breakfast and Lunch.

IS THIS A CARNIVAL THING.

Where to from here or do we stay at home and make the most of our country??

Have a look at Hapag-Lloyd's Europa 2.

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1822494

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=716

We saved up and treated ourselves to QG fully expecting it to be a superior dining experience and it simply wasn't! In Britannia last year we were offered an entree soup salad main course dessert (if you wanted it) in Qg you had either appetiser soup or salad. There is a list of daily vegetables in small print on the a la carte menu but they are not offered you have to ask. We expected to be offered off menu items as some nights we were struggling with the choices they are quite limited it was made quite clear this is not An option even requesting a dessert from the lunch menu was a "big ask" and refused to our table mates . Now for less money than we paid just for the suite we are getting a suite of equal proportions on celebrity with a premium drinks package unlimited internet and onboard credit. We have ale ways found the food of equal quality and the entertainment far superior so for us going forward its a "no brainer" just how to get round the large deposit we have paid for next year!

I hope that someone from Cunard is reading all of these comments and passes them on to senior management so that corrective action will be taken before irreversible damage is done and they lose their profitable Grill passengers.

...We expected to be offered off menu items as some nights we were struggling with the choices they are quite limited it was made quite clear this is not An option even requesting a dessert from the lunch menu was a "big ask" and refused to our table mates. Now for less money than we paid just for the suite we are getting a suite of equal proportions on celebrity with a premium drinks package unlimited internet and onboard credit. We have ale ways found the food of equal quality and the entertainment far superior so for us going forward its a "no brainer" just how to get round the large deposit we have paid for next year!

I'm not certain what you mean by that - did you expect your waiter to offer alternative entree suggestions when you didn't find the menu appealing? Going "off menu" on Cunard means pre-ordering a specific item at your request. Since many food items are frozen this has to be ordered no later than lunch time the same day. If you want, say, lobster tail that can be requested through the head waiter or Maitre D'.

As for requesting a dessert at dinner that had been on the lunch menu, it may no longer had been available. Food safety procedures have specific a "hold" times after which an item can no longer be served.

It sounds like a moot point for you anyway since you mentioned that Celebrity gives you more value for your fare.

Edited by BlueRiband

We are travelling Cunard for the first time next year. We have booked a Grill Suite and will expect, for the price, a standard of accommodation, service and food that live up to the reputation that Cunard tries to maintain of being of very high quality. If it's not we won't be back. There are plenty of choices at the higher end of the cruise market (I'm thinking Silversea, Seabourn, Regent) that do offer a premium product at a similar per diem rate (in fact, I think Cunard is quite expensive) but only Cunard seems to have this high-end provision on a large ship.

We like the smaller ships and all-inclusive nature of the other companies and I think Cunard will need to be quite special to get our grey pounds in the future.

I have traveled Cunard all my life and, like you, I have come to like the smaller all inclusive ships. I still sail Cunard if the itinerary and rate interest but I fear you will not find Cunard special enough to give them much of the "grey Pounds" in the future. Imho, no comparison to the smaller all inclusives.

There is a list of daily vegetables in small print on the a la carte menu but they are not offered you have to ask. !

So it appears the A la Carte menu was in operation & it seems reasonable to me that you have to ask for what you want off the menu - including your choice of vegetable from the menu.

As BlueRiband has stated, it is usual practice to order off-menu item at lunch at the latest. I usually make any request the previous evening and if you make this request to your waiter they will normally summon the head waiter or Maitre 'D for approval.

We were never asked! My point about the vegetables is in any decent dining establishment you would expect to be asked when you place your order "would you like any vegetables with that" it was only towards the end we realised if we wanted vegetables we had to order them separately. On at least 3 occasions we declined dessert because there was nothing appealing we told them that they never said well is there something we could do tomm for you? It just wanted the special experience we expected. All caviar has been removed from the menu (including the shirred eggs on the breakfast menu) we heard people asking for it but were refused. We are just sorry we have already booked for next year

Respectfully, that sounds more like an issue with the quality or training of your waiter than a shortcoming of the Grills experience in general. The same with your reported inability to get both a soup and a salad before your entree. Simply listing them in the same menu section doesn't indicate you can't order as you'd like.

Edited by Underwatr

We were never asked! My point about the vegetables is in any decent dining establishment you would expect to be asked when you place your order "would you like any vegetables with that" it was only towards the end we realised if we wanted vegetables we had to order them separately. On at least 3 occasions we declined dessert because there was nothing appealing we told them that they never said well is there something we could do tomm for you? It just wanted the special experience we expected. All caviar has been removed from the menu (including the shirred eggs on the breakfast menu) we heard people asking for it but were refused. We are just sorry we have already booked for next year

Sorry to hear you felt short changed. Your waiter should have explained the layout of the menu to you on the first evening, they usually do, it's a pity if that important step was missed.

Advice would be to scan the dinner menu in the morning and if there is nothing that appeals that is the cue to request a special order from the maître d'. Have they stopped delivering a copy of the menu to your cabin? Another tip is to engage with your head waiter, they will oblige by letting you see a draft of the next night's menu during dinner.

On the subject of caviar, it hasn't been on the menu for years now but I've never had a refusal when requested in QG. Could things have changed in the last 3 months? What was the reason given for the refusal?

M-AR

Interestingly Caviar is still shown as an available option on the "sample" QG Breakfast "Shirred Eggs with Sevruga Caviar", Dinner "Sevruga Caviar on Buck Wheat Blini" and A La Carte "Malossol Sturgeon Caviar, Classical Garnish and Toast" menus on the Cunard (UK) website. (It is also shown on the "sample" PG Dinner menu "Sevruga Caviar on Buck Wheat Blini"). Edited by pepperrn

Interestingly Caviar is still shown as an available option on the "sample" QG Breakfast "Shirred Eggs with Sevruga Caviar", Dinner "Sevruga Caviar on Buck Wheat Blini" and A La Carte "Malossol Sturgeon Caviar, Classical Garnish and Toast" menus on the Cunard (UK) website. (It is also shown on the "sample" PG Dinner menu "Sevruga Caviar on Buck Wheat Blini").

Hi Pepper

From time to time, I like a starter of smoked salmon topped with caviar, served with a couple of slices of Ryvita.

However, they started a new scheme last year. Now the waiter has to get a signature from the Maitre d' approving the order. Can't think of any circumstance when they would refuse it.

We'll be on board QV on 16 November, so I'll let you know the latest.

Stewart

We have just got back from a cruise on QV in QG we were very disappointed with the dining so much so we are regretting booking for next year. It simply wasn't worth the money. The food was good but no off menu ever offered indeed when our table mates asked for rice pudding from the lunch menu for dessert at dinner they were refused. The sommelier was downright rude to the point it was funny. We were never offered vegetables I had to send 1 main course back and ended up with no meal because it took so long to sort! We are not going to leave a review as we don't want to be seen to put a "downer" on Cunard

I couldn't help noticing your NCL sailing on your list of past cruises. How do you think Cunard compared with that -- and did you post a review?

Interestingly Caviar is still shown as an available option on the "sample" QG Breakfast "Shirred Eggs with Sevruga Caviar", Dinner "Sevruga Caviar on Buck Wheat Blini" and A La Carte "Malossol Sturgeon Caviar, Classical Garnish and Toast" menus on the Cunard (UK) website. (It is also shown on the "sample" PG Dinner menu "Sevruga Caviar on Buck Wheat Blini").

I returned Monday from a great QV cruise and indeed, the 'normal' full portion of Caviar on the ALC menu in Queens Grill has gone. There is a choice of a mixed shrimp cocktail with some caviar on top. However, I saw some people ordering a full portion of the menu without any problem.

There are quite a few comments here about QG and QV, so I thought it might be worthwhile offering a contemporary view. DW and I are currently enjoying QV/QG (and as an aside, still keeping an eye open for Host Hattie, hopefully with cocktail glass in hand for ID purposes). I was a great fan of the Guarantee fares when they were available, their demise led to us broadening the range of lines we voyage with. Having paid a mildly discounted but still substantial sum this time, I’ll naturally be expecting to get my money’s worth and food is the most important part of the equation..

I won’t give too much detail, to avoid blowing my “cover” so to speak, but here are my initial impressions:

Staff remain as friendly as ever, we were recognised and welcomed at the door and several wait staff who had been with us a year ago came over from the other side of the Grill to say hello. No problems at all there.

The daily set menu does look a little denuded, but on closer inspection I reckon that this is more a case of being printed on cheaper paper with the new 175 years branding. Menu items are comparable with previous voyages and the food quality is good so far.

There hasn’t been an opportunity (or need) to stray away yet, having had embarkation evening and then a formal night with the Commodore’s event, both when a la carte isn’t made available. In the past we’ve had no problem even then, we just missed the gig and turned up to QG early to get whatever we asked for, but we didn’t bother this time. However, at breakfast and lunch when we fancied a wander off the narrow track it’s still no problem.

The a la carte menu is still exactly the same as twelve ago and, IIRC, six and twelve months before that. It could maybe do with a refresh because there’s nothing on there I haven’t eaten at least twice already, but for the purposes of this discussion it hasn’t been watered down.

The hot cooking trolley waiting in the doorway for delights like cherries jubilee and crepes Suzette hasn’t made an appearance yet, but might turn up tonight. There certainly hasn’t been any sign at all yet of tableside cooking, but in my experience this becomes more common as the cruise progresses and as soon as someone asks for a favourite dish, lots of people nearby lose their inhibition and chirp up.

The wine list is, I believe, not much different to a year ago, which means that it isn’t as good as it used to be. That’s not to say it’s no good, just that it’s not terribly extensive and for example, the Israeli and Lebanese reds we took a chance on and enjoyed a few ago have not returned.

In-suite canapés remain the same old, same old. I’ve never understood why it’s always five to a plate for two people to share on Cunard and for that matter, every other line. I’m sure the collective noun for canapés must be “a hand”. Anyway, we’ve never bothered asking for caviar or anything else fancy, mainly because the canapés usually arrive while we are out and about elsewhere or else in the shower and rushing to get ready. But for the purpose of research, this time I’ll investigate. I’ll also check out if the pre-dinner nibbles in the Queen’s Lounge have changed for better or worse.

So……….. the initial impression is that nothing has changed. For my money, the slight downward change was probably 2-3 years ago and things seem to be static since then. But as the cruise unfolds I’ll report back, especially if I detect anything the like of which folks seem to be concerned about.

We are on the QE in two weeks off to the Carribean and will be able to comment on the Queens Grill menu changes. We were on the QE in Aug and saw no lowering of standards. We ordered off menu and our Maitre 'd cooked us a 4 course Italian meal at our table and we had any vegetables we wanted. If we didn't like the deserts there was always ice cream and chocolate sauce, my favourite!

We are on the QE in two weeks off to the Carribean and will be able to comment on the Queens Grill menu changes. We were on the QE in Aug and saw no lowering of standards. We ordered off menu and our Maitre 'd cooked us a 4 course Italian meal at our table and we had any vegetables we wanted. If we didn't like the deserts there was always ice cream and chocolate sauce, my favourite!

Totally agree, both Senior Maitre D' Beniamino in QE and Sandro in QV are excellent Italian chefs and do prepare special made Italian dishes. Sandro prepared for us a three course table side meal consisting of Antipasti, fresh spaghetti and a very nice mushroom vitello.

When you ask in Queen grill, you mostly will get it. Just ask the Head Waiters or Maitre as last week, the 'regular waiter' were not happy with off-menu dishes.

We are travelling Cunard for the first time next year. We have booked a Grill Suite and will expect, for the price, a standard of accommodation, service and food that live up to the reputation that Cunard tries to maintain of being of very high quality. If it's not we won't be back. There are plenty of choices at the higher end of the cruise market (I'm thinking Silversea, Seabourn, Regent) that do offer a premium product at a similar per diem rate (in fact, I think Cunard is quite expensive) but only Cunard seems to have this high-end provision on a large ship.

We like the smaller ships and all-inclusive nature of the other companies and I think Cunard will need to be quite special to get our grey pounds in the future.

Actually the larger NCL ships have the "Haven", which is more "segregated" than any Cunard ship.

There are quite a few comments here about QG and QV, so I thought it might be worthwhile offering a contemporary view. DW and I are currently enjoying QV/QG (and as an aside, still keeping an eye open for Host Hattie, hopefully with cocktail glass in hand for ID purposes). I was a great fan of the Guarantee fares when they were available, their demise led to us broadening the range of lines we voyage with. Having paid a mildly discounted but still substantial sum this time, I’ll naturally be expecting to get my money’s worth and food is the most important part of the equation..

I won’t give too much detail, to avoid blowing my “cover” so to speak, but here are my initial impressions:

Staff remain as friendly as ever, we were recognised and welcomed at the door and several wait staff who had been with us a year ago came over from the other side of the Grill to say hello. No problems at all there.

The daily set menu does look a little denuded, but on closer inspection I reckon that this is more a case of being printed on cheaper paper with the new 175 years branding. Menu items are comparable with previous voyages and the food quality is good so far.

There hasn’t been an opportunity (or need) to stray away yet, having had embarkation evening and then a formal night with the Commodore’s event, both when a la carte isn’t made available. In the past we’ve had no problem even then, we just missed the gig and turned up to QG early to get whatever we asked for, but we didn’t bother this time. However, at breakfast and lunch when we fancied a wander off the narrow track it’s still no problem.

The a la carte menu is still exactly the same as twelve ago and, IIRC, six and twelve months before that. It could maybe do with a refresh because there’s nothing on there I haven’t eaten at least twice already, but for the purposes of this discussion it hasn’t been watered down.

The hot cooking trolley waiting in the doorway for delights like cherries jubilee and crepes Suzette hasn’t made an appearance yet, but might turn up tonight. There certainly hasn’t been any sign at all yet of tableside cooking, but in my experience this becomes more common as the cruise progresses and as soon as someone asks for a favourite dish, lots of people nearby lose their inhibition and chirp up.

The wine list is, I believe, not much different to a year ago, which means that it isn’t as good as it used to be. That’s not to say it’s no good, just that it’s not terribly extensive and for example, the Israeli and Lebanese reds we took a chance on and enjoyed a few ago have not returned.

In-suite canapés remain the same old, same old. I’ve never understood why it’s always five to a plate for two people to share on Cunard and for that matter, every other line. I’m sure the collective noun for canapés must be “a hand”. Anyway, we’ve never bothered asking for caviar or anything else fancy, mainly because the canapés usually arrive while we are out and about elsewhere or else in the shower and rushing to get ready. But for the purpose of research, this time I’ll investigate. I’ll also check out if the pre-dinner nibbles in the Queen’s Lounge have changed for better or worse.

So……….. the initial impression is that nothing has changed. For my money, the slight downward change was probably 2-3 years ago and things seem to be static since then. But as the cruise unfolds I’ll report back, especially if I detect anything the like of which folks seem to be concerned about.

My butler got me Caviar every night back in late 2010 along with the standard Canapés. I did notice that not all pax in Queens Grill got the same service we did. Then again some of those Pax were what we refer to as difficult.