Cutbacks

Hoveto

I returned Monday from a great QV cruise and indeed, the 'normal' full portion of Caviar on the ALC menu in Queens Grill has gone. There is a choice of a mixed shrimp cocktail with some caviar on top. However, I saw some people ordering a full portion of the menu without any problem.

Caviar is STILL available in Queens Grill. It might however have been moved to the "off menu" list of items such as Foe Gras or Sweet breads. These are not considered "politically correct" in the culinary world. Of course, my opinion as to where those type of Politically Correct people can put their heads, is well known, but that's another story.

I have been offered by Cunard, many good deals: (example Dec 15 crossing) Balconies from $599 & Princess/Queens Grills at $1,999.

So Cunard does discount Princess & Queens Grill often.

http://www.cunard.com/cruise-search/book-a-cruise/cruises/qm/1166-m530-sou1-nyc1/?utm_campaign=CE5TA430_US&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Eloqua&utm_source=CUPR&utm_medium=EMAIL&utm_campaign=PULSE&utm_content=CE5TA430&elqTrackId=1cd91eab8e8a4d3b8a8441562f51e17a&elq=3d731f1da6ea41a0b00fdcbc484bf444&elqCampaignId=1046&elqaid=1180&elqat=1

GEORGE B | Cunard Special Offer Number:

A Transatlantic Crossing from Southampton to New York is seven days of luxury and service in the grand tradition of the Golden Age of Ocean Travel. With over 101 things to do on board Queen Mary 2, each day will be a new adventure or relaxing escape. For a limited time, book a Transatlantic Crossing and save up to 50% off Launch fares †.

Contact your travel consultant, call Cunard at (800) 728-6273 or enter your special offer number online at Cunard.com.

Queen Mary 2

Southampton to New York. Click here to view voyage.

Southampton to Fort Lauderdale. Click here to view voyage.

Queen Victoria

Edited by gkbiiii

I have been offered by Cunard, many good deals: (example Dec 15 crossing) Balconies from $599 & Princess/Queens Grills at $1,999.

http://www.cunard.com/cruise-search/book-a-cruise/cruises/qm/1166-m530-sou1-nyc1/?utm_campaign=CE5TA430_US&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Eloqua&utm_source=CUPR&utm_medium=EMAIL&utm_campaign=PULSE&utm_content=CE5TA430&elqTrackId=1cd91eab8e8a4d3b8a8441562f51e17a&elq=3d731f1da6ea41a0b00fdcbc484bf444&elqCampaignId=1046&elqaid=1180&elqat=1

GEORGE B | Cunard Special Offer Number:

A Transatlantic Crossing from Southampton to New York is seven days of luxury and service in the grand tradition of the Golden Age of Ocean Travel. With over 101 things to do on board Queen Mary 2, each day will be a new adventure or relaxing escape. For a limited time, book a Transatlantic Crossing and save up to 50% off Launch fares †.

Contact your travel consultant, call Cunard at (800) 728-6273 or enter your special offer number online at Cunard.com.

Queen Mary 2

Queen Victoria

Discounts can be an illusion. Let's say Cunard offers 50% off Grills and passengers only pay $10,000 for a crossing for two people. The question is was $20,000 for two people really the price the cabin was going to be sold?

I have no doubts that cruise lines are still making healthy profits from 'discounted' tickets. It just won't be as much of a profit as if they were selling tickets are the alleged original fares.

Discounts can be an illusion. Let's say Cunard offers 50% off Grills and passengers only pay $10,000 for a crossing for two people. The question is was $20,000 for two people really the price the cabin was going to be sold? I have no doubts that cruise lines are still making healthy profits from 'discounted' tickets. It just won't be as much of a profit as if they were selling tickets are the alleged original fares.
I totally agree with you Austcruiser84,

As with anything I am thinking of purchasing, from a shirt in M&S to a cruise with Cunard, I look at what it will cost me now, not at what they say it would have cost me then.

I then decide if the item is worth what I will have to part with. I always remember that anyone can put an over-inflated "was" or "normally" ticket on anything; a TV in a shop, or a suite on a ship.

As an aside, when I was in my teens (around the time of the last ice-age) I was shown by an elderly relative of mine how to not fall into this marketing trap... We were walking past an electrical ("white goods") shop and they had an item in the window marked with a big bold sign "Was £200, now £100! SAVE £100!" As we passed and walked on down the road without pausing he said to me "Look, I've just saved £200". Lesson received and understood ;)

Best wishes and happy sailings :) .

Edited by pepperrn

Caviar is STILL available in Queens Grill. It might however have been moved to the "off menu" list of items such as Foe Gras or Sweet breads. These are not considered "politically correct" in the culinary world. Of course, my opinion as to where those type of Politically Correct people can put their heads, is well known, but that's another story.

I do love the "Live free or die" state

Indeed as I mentioned you can still order it off menu where it used to be mentioned on the menu in the past. Only people who have sailed with Cunard in the past will know this.

Indeed, on Cunard's site there were three crossings (two in Nov. and one in Dec.) that were offered to Canadians at Can.$659 for Britannia and $2199 in PG. Considering how much the Canadian dollar has sunk, that was a superb deal. QG was also offered. I can't recall the exact fare but I believe it was $3200.

Hi Pepper

You are quite correct. However, Cunard have not been offering any discounts on Grills since Peter Shanks left, and his successor declared that he wanted to add value to the brand.

Therefore, it seems to me that the Grills pax are subsidising the cheapo prices, and losing out as the perks diminish.

Stewart

I am on Victoria next week and after booking well in advance for the cabin I want (PG),the prices for PG and QG have come down to almost as little as a balcony was.

Edited by janecambridge

I am on Victoria next week and after booking well in advance for the cabin I want (PG),the prices for PG and QG have come down to almost as little as a balcony was.

I will also be on board in a week's time.

We will be in QG and paid full price eleven months ago. I have been monitoring the prices and did not see any reductions. Where did you find the offers?

Stewart

As of last week:

Caviar is still available on request, not as a menu item.

Off menu doesn't seem to be a problem, although I confess to not testing the limits of the envelope by asking for grilled elephant ears.

I thought the standard food was good enough that I didn't need to stray very far anyway.

The a-la-carte is now rather old and needs a review (but what's on there is still very good).

No olives arrive automatically with your drink in the Grills lounge and the nibbles were a bit run of the mill.

One chap complained that the farewell dinner menu wasn't comprehensive enough. I disagree, but I suppose if you want to have a dozen entrées in the same evening then you'd be disappointed.

No problems with the staff. There's one guy we named "the mosquito" because he was always buzzing around, noisy and mildly annoying, but otherwise it's a good team.

The wine list is overpriced for some of what's on offer (especially when you add another 15% service) but we didn't buy anything that was a duffer. The soft drink prices, (as ever was the case) are verging on a rip-off.

So in summary, anyone who has paid full brochure fare and not got a good OBC along with it shouldn't feel unhappy with the food, but might reasonably think it's not the best value in the world. For them, the smaller luxury lines might be the way to go.

Sigh...

Remembering our trips on the QE2 Queens Grill when a member of the staff would present the menu for the following night's dinner and ask if we had any additional requests. (I actually felt guilty after many days when we really couldn't think of something we wanted more than the options offered)

Edited by MarkBearSF

As of last month we were still asked each day if we would like anything special for dinner or dessert, and on the last day he asked if we were absolutely sure we didn't want caviar, something special, etc. The face I made when he asked if I wanted caviar was answer enough I guess...

I did enjoy flambe desserts on multiple nights though :D

I'm posting this from QV, in Lisbon.

No evidence of any cutbacks. The Maitre d' has asked us every day, if we want anything special. So far, I've had smoked salmon with a caviar topping, NY strip steak and crepes (not all on the same plate). In a couple of days, we're having Peking Duck.

The service and attention is as good as ever.

Stewart

I'm posting this from QV, in Lisbon.

No evidence of any cutbacks. The Maitre d' has asked us every day, if we want anything special. So far, I've had smoked salmon with a caviar topping, NY strip steak and crepes (not all on the same plate). In a couple of days, we're having Peking Duck.

The service and attention is as good as ever.

Stewart

A couple of days to eat duck? That does sound a bit of a wait, but in Cunard's defence I suppose it will take them a while to get the ducks flown from Peking :)

Stop it, now! Or you'll all be up before the beak. They get in a terrible flap when there's a pun overload.

Apologies. I do hate to be a goose, but I guess I've been caught up in a web of pun making. I'm but a plucky young thing who loves a bit of fowl play. Besides, being a bit daffy is part of the Aussie way.

Now I must really waddle because there's a lot to organise to ensure my upcoming travel goes swimmingly.