Best Time to Cruise

VegasChic

Hi Everyone,

I live in Miami, FL planning a cruise to Alaska next summer on Norwegian. I chose NCl because we will be platinum on the next cruise and we like the freestyle dining, specialty restaurants and entertainment. We (my hubby and 9 year old daughter) plan on arriving in Seattle 5 days before the cruise to visit seattle and Mt. Rainer. My travel window is open from the 2nd week of June and I need to be back by the 2nd week of August as my daughter starts school on the 3rd week. I am considering doing a one way cruise once I've done my research but as of now I'm planning a roundtrip from Seattle. What would be the time (as far as good weather) to visit Alaska during my travel window? Also, if I were to do a one way where would I fly into to get to Seward? Any other planning tips would be awesome!! Thanks! :)

After so many sailings in Alaska I have to say there is no best time.

I say this because weather changes all the time not only year over year but day to day and even hour to hour.

I would select a date that works best for you.

If you cruise starts or ends in Seward you would fly into/out of Anchorage.

Keith

Hi Everyone,

I live in Miami, FL planning a cruise to Alaska next summer on Norwegian. I chose NCl because we will be platinum on the next cruise and we like the freestyle dining, specialty restaurants and entertainment. We (my hubby and 9 year old daughter) plan on arriving in Seattle 5 days before the cruise to visit seattle and Mt. Rainer. My travel window is open from the 2nd week of June and I need to be back by the 2nd week of August as my daughter starts school on the 3rd week. I am considering doing a one way cruise once I've done my research but as of now I'm planning a roundtrip from Seattle. What would be the time (as far as good weather) to visit Alaska during my travel window? Also, if I were to do a one way where would I fly into to get to Seward? Any other planning tips would be awesome!! Thanks! :)

Keep in mind that one way cruises are from Vancouver not Seattle. Cruises from Seattle are only 7 day return. June is usually the driest month in Alaska . July will have more kids on board for your daughter in the kids club. If you where to do a one way from Seward to Vancouver. You can rent a car , take the train or a bus. Keep in mind that you'll probably have to fly to Anchorage the day before the cruise. Then fly from Vancouver home .

Weather in Alaska isn't very predictable.

Because you live in Miami your going to have long flight to get to Anchorage or Seattle for an Alaskan Cruise . If you decide on a one way take a few days in Anchorage to see Alaska . When you arrive in Vancouver , do take a few days to visit.

Edited by Kamloops50

Weather wise.... I vote July....

• Statistically.... May to July is driest in Alaska. August starts to get wet and September is best for storm chasers. I notice that second week of August of the last three years has been very wet.
  • Vancouver/Seattle has driest weather July to mid-August.
  • check accuweather in the weeks and days approaching your trip.

Note....

• May and September offers the lowest prices
  • Some say wildlife is more active in August. Looking for food before winter?

Edited by xlxo

Hi Everyone,

There is no "best". :) With all that time- if you chose a one way cruise- which is only in/out of Vancoucver- add on at least another week for mainland Alaska touring. Take advantage. :) Plenty to see and do, I suggest you find out about those areas. Head to your library and take out some Alaska travel books.

I've been platinum for years, with NCL, so it does not impact my cruising decisions, but, ALL cruise lines have the same, "freestyle" type dining options.

It is easy to go between Seattle and Vancouver, buses, Amtrak and one way car rentals available.

Thank you all for the responses. So that leads me to ask should I skip Seattle and Mt. Rainier and just do a few days in Vancouver and a a few days in a land tour of Alaska either before or after the cruise? I'm a photographer and while scenery is important to me I also want to do fun activities with my daughter. Thank You!!

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

Thank you all for the responses. So that leads me to ask should I skip Seattle and Mt. Rainier and just do a few days in Vancouver and a a few days in a land tour of Alaska either before or after the cruise? I'm a photographer and while scenery is important to me I also want to do fun activities with my daughter. Thank You!!

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

It's totally up to your interests. You have a lot of time, can't you do both? Three weeks would be ideal, for a fantastic photography opportunity.

If you decide to get a one-way in/our of Vancouver, I would recommend adding some time in Seward (the Sea Life Center is great and your daughter will love it) then drive, if you want to rent a car, or take the train, up to Denali and take a shuttle tour into the park. It is well worth the time and you are already spending the airfare, so get the best bang for your buck. If you drive, Hertz is the only rental agency in Seward. Also, you can stay in Healy which is less expensive than the areas (called Glitter Gulch) around the park.

Our first cruise was one-way Vancouver to Whittier and our second cruise was a cheaper r/t Seattle as is our third cruise coming up in September 2016. We have never regretted the one-way for the first cruise.

Edited by pizzalady1

I did a side trip to Ranier on my one and only RT Seattle cruise. It was really nice and we actually played in the snow near the summit ( a treat for the group of us from FL). But, if I had my choice I would do a one way southbound and have a shorter flight home to FL at the end.

So, my recommendation is spend your extra days in Alaska and you will find lots of options from Anchorage :D Do your research and have fun planning!

We are from Tampa. We flew into Seattle and spent 2 days there, took the train to Vancouver, and the next day we took a northbound cruise ending in Seward. We had 2 days post cruise in Alaska and then flew home. We packed a lot into our Seattle time and I feel like we saw all the main sights-Space Needle, Chiluly Garden, EMP, aquarium, Pike Place Market, and West Seattle/Aliki (sp?) beach. Depending on your interests in Seattle, I think you could reduce your time there and add it to land time in Alaska. Just an idea. Look into Alaska Airlines. I don't know about Miami, but they have a direct flight out of Tampa. They also partner with Delta, so we could use our miles. Enjoy your trip. The northwest was a welcome change from the heat and humidity of a Florida summer!

Edited by teachatthebeach

• 2 months later...

I have recently found your 2 reviews and love them! I have not taken an Alaskan cruise but want to,however, I do live in Alaska so thought maybe I could help. If you come in to Seward the Sea life Center is nice and kids really like it but just don't expect Seaworld. You can also take a sight seeing cruise you may get lucky enough to see a glacier calve (fall into the ocean) and a variety of sea life and Alaskan birds. Like others have stated weather is tricky here but July tends to be drier in my opinion August and May more wet. Although, Seward tends to be very rainy you just have to expect it and roll with it. Rain ponchos are sold everywhere. If you rent a car there is a park nearby, I am drawing a blank on the name, where you can walk up and touch a glacier. Besides the sign seeing tour the other best option for beautiful photos would be to take the train to Denali National Park. I have taken some great pictures of the landscape and bears and I'm not a professional. You can take the train from Seward or catch a charter bus or rent a car to Anchorage and catch the train from there. Seward and Denali are your best bet for great pictures as well as the scenery you will see on the train. If you need any more Alaska info I can try to help.

Hi Everyone,

I would go right at the end of June. Daylight is the longest at that time which allows more opportunity to get things seen.

I would fly into Anchorage, and take the train to Seward. If it were me I would add the five days that you are planning for Seattle to the front end and instead go to Denali. Some will tell you that you need longer but you can easily go to Denali, then to Seward and have enough time in Seward to spend a day visiting Kenai Fjords.

Day 1 - Arrive and overnight n Anchorage

Day 2 - Travel to Denali and maybe go flightseeing

Day 3 - go into the park

Day 4 - travel to Seward

Day 5 - Kenai Fjords and then board the ship.

Hi Everyone,

Since the window for AK cruises is so small (May to Sept) they are all good.

We sailed in June & had awesome weather & a great time.

Our next sailing is end of July beginning of August because we want to see the bears & salmon spawning.