Use of Hand Sanitizer

SusieKIslandGirl

We just got off the Conquest and were amazed by the lack of the use of hand sanitizer by nearly everyone. Most evenings we were the only ones using it going into the MDR. Rarely saw anyone using it at breakfast either. We were also surprised that none of the crew encouraged anyone to use it. This was our first Carnival cruise in two or three years. We've been on a couple of other lines lately and the sanitizer was practically shoved down our throat-or at least deposited on our hands. Is this the new normal for Carnival?

There are a lot of people, like me, who have sensitivities to the chemicals and/or fragrance in all this hand sanitizer crap. Washing my hands with soap and hot water is much more effective and friendlier to my skin than that junk. So, don't judge people by your perception - it's often wrong;). Not flaming, just saying not everyone believes that hand sanitizer is the be all and end all of existence.

We just got off the Conquest and were amazed by the lack of the use of hand sanitizer by nearly everyone. Most evenings we were the only ones using it going into the MDR. Rarely saw anyone using it at breakfast either. We were also surprised that none of the crew encouraged anyone to use it. This was our first Carnival cruise in two or three years. We've been on a couple of other lines lately and the sanitizer was practically shoved down our throat-or at least deposited on our hands. Is this the new normal for Carnival?

I do not use hand sanitizer because I feel its overuse is making germs more resilient.

I do find a rest room and wash my hands with soap and hot water right before I go into the dining room or take food from the buffet.

There may be a lot of people who do what I do, so that's perhaps why you did not see many use the sanitizer.

I can't stand hand sanitizer. If I'm forced to use it, I need to wash it off pretty soon due to how my hands react to it. Soap and water are much better anyways. Even the Centers for Disease Control agrees.

http://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-science-hand-sanitizer.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who really knows who sanitizes/washes and who doesn't.

Our family does both depending upon.

I see an alarming number of people leaving restrooms without washing their hands.

DH collaborates this is true of the gents also.

This is onboard and on land as well.

We just take care of ourselves and try not to touch public rails, doorknobs, etc...

Many people are sensitive to hand sanitizers, often from overuse.

2 of our granddaughters used it so much at school their hands began peeling and turning red.

Edited by silvercrikhix

As the others have said hand sanitizers are pretty useless and my skin reacts badly to them. Good hand washing is the best thing to do. I think hand sanitizer threads are joining the smoking and smuggling threads for needing popcorn.

I do not use hand sanitizer because I feel its overuse is making germs more resilient.

I do find a rest room and wash my hands with soap and hot water right before I go into the dining room or take food from the buffet.

There may be a lot of people who do what I do, so that's perhaps why you did not see many use the sanitizer.

This is me too.

I don't use sanitizer. Imo many people use it in place of hand washing and it isn't as effective. And I don't want to be harassed by staff to use it every time they see me.

I'm an adult and if I only want to wash my hands and not use sanitizer that is my choice.

I'll probably get flamed for this. But it seems that the lines that practically push hand sanitizer down your throat seem to have more problems with norovirus. I think it gives people a false sense of security. Some of the passengers don't wash their hands because they say they used the sanitizer.

Just curious on how long you were sitting by the entrance to the main dining room watching the hand sanitizer so you can make the statement that on most nights you were the only ones using it?

I use to use hand sanitizer all the time when it first came out. I was a fanatic about it. Then I started noticing sores and little cuts on my hands that just would not heal. My hands were in pain all of the time.

The culprit...the hand sanitizer.

According the my Dr., the hand sanitizer was not only killing the bad germs but also killing all of the good germs. The good germs are needed to fight off infection and help with healing.

After I stopped using the sanitizer, every thing went back to normal.

No more sanitizer for me! Plain old soap and hot water work better anyways!

Edited by ready2cruzagain

We don't use it

However, we do try to avoid the buffet as much as possible. Have witnessed numerous people standing over it picking at it and coughing their head off all over the food. We tend to use room service for breakfast, lunch and late afternoon snack (with late dining in the MDR) and sit on our balcony on sea days.

I'll probably get flamed for this. But it seems that the lines that practically push hand sanitizer down your throat seem to have more problems with norovirus. I think it gives people a false sense of security. Some of the passengers don't wash their hands because they say they used the sanitizer.

It's true! Besides norovirus isn't killed by hand sanitizer. Soap/water or bleach is your only hope for that nasty bug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We don't use it

However, we do try to avoid the buffet as much as possible. Have witnessed numerous people standing over it picking at it and coughing their head off all over the food. We tend to use room service for breakfast, lunch and late afternoon snack (with late dining in the MDR) and sit on our balcony on sea days.

I like that idea. That way one will never know how many people touched a dish, touched the food, coughed or sneezed on the food:D False sense of security.;)

Carnival is trying a new hand-washing station/kiosk on one of the ships. I hope it works and becomes a more popular option.

I'll use the sanitizer as a back up. I always wash my hands after getting a bad cold on Valor. I feel like the people who are at the buffet wearing their swim suits probably didn't care to wash their hands along with a good amount of others. As convenient as the buffet can be, it's probably the source of most issues.

Good to hear that many still believe in hand washing. I was just surprised that no one seemed to use the Purell. I can understand the allergies and being sensitive to scents-good reason to avoid it. I did see one of the new hand washing stations on the Lido deck. The little kids loved it.

Sanitizer is just alcohol gel. It's the antibiotic soaps that are making the germs more resilient, not hand sanitizer.

Sanitizer doesn't always work particularly well, but it's just rubbing ethanol on your hands. Regular soap is the best. Antibiotic soap leads to antibiotic resistant bacteria.

Wow!! Can't believe that I am in the minority here. I use hand sanitizer all of the time if we are eating out. If I thought that it was hurting my hands or drying out my skin, I would try another brand. After I touch a menu, hand sanitizer before food. If I tough tongs or a spoon at the buffet, hand sanitizer before food. DH and I are in the medical profession and know that hand washing is the first defense, but sometimes it is not convenient. My little bottle is always in my purse and at the ready. We also spray Lysol on knobs, buttons, and exposed surfaces first thing when we walk in our cabin and at least once a day afterward. My thinking is every little bit helps.