Wagon vs Double Stroller

ginluv18

Hi Everyone! I'm traveling in a couple months with 3 kids--two 1-year olds and a 3-year old. I'm not new to cruising at all, but I've never thought of bringing one of those child wagons with seats until a little while ago. The side-by-side double stroller is out of the question since a single stroller is sometimes hard to navigate through the halls if the room attendant carts are out. I was browsing online and most of these wagons have amazing reviews! There are loads of cup holders and storage and the kids can face each other and play while moving around. There are a few foldable options which are the only ones I'm considering. Has anyone ever travelled with one of these or seen anyone who has? I would be using this both on the ship and for excursions (of course those excursions that it makes sense to use during only). Any help is much appreciated!

Most ships don't allow wagons, scooters, bikes, etc - basically anything on wheels except strollers and wheelchairs/walkers (I looked into it when I thought it would be fun to bring foldable scooters for my girls to use in port). Not only are they not allowed to use on board, you're not allowed to bring them at all.

Anyway - I don't know about all of them, but the ones I've had are great for walking in the neighborhood (straight down a sidewalk), but pulling the kids behind you in a crowd isn't as effective as having them in front of you, they don't let the kids recline when needed, usually don't have sun shade, etc. You want a tandem stroller, or a sit n' stand. I've taken many cruises with a tandem stroller and haven't had a problem other than at times having to wait for an elevator.

Best,

Mia

I would invest in a tandem double stroller, I have a graco and its great. And then maybe have a small umbrella stroller for the 3 year old. Or wear one of the one year olds so the 3 year old can sit in the double..... or if you don't want to invest in a tandem double then get a few umbrella strollers.

Like others have said only wheelchair's/scooters and strollers are allowed. I actually think a wagon would take up more room and be more difficult to navigate through the narrow hallways, plus more difficult to store in your room. I wouldn't feel safe with my kiddos behind me a knee level while walking around a port when they would be in the wagon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Megann, was the jogging stroller a double? That's what I'm really looking into if I don't do the wagon. My current double is basically garbage right now and will not make it through a vacation (if it even makes it to vacation time).

To everyone else (sorry I didn't respond earlier, I had pneumonia--glad I got it now vs in a month!): I've brought the tandem on before and I was not a fan of my front child's face usually being right up next to the person in front of us. I would push up so to be nice and allow more people to fit in packed areas and people would trip all over the stroller too.

The folding wagon I've been looking at is http://www.target.com/p/ez-fold-wagon-w-o-canopy/-/A-17135157?ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=17135157&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Sports%2BShopping&adgroup=Wagon_SC&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=1022079&gclid=CJ3LjsrzkMkCFVQYHwod9HkBLw&gclsrc=aw.ds --it folds up really nicely and will fit in my room's closet. I've also called NCL and was told they would be allowed. I know having a child behind me is a concern, but I have a larger party with me and can always have someone walk behind us. I just can't count on that person being willing to push another stroller.

On one on a cruise is going to bother your child lagging behind you...Jeez. In front, or behind....doesn't matter. Do what works for you.

It DOES matter if you want to keep an eye on your children especially in port.

We went to the fair recently where it was crowded and lots of wagons. It was horrible. In a crowd, the heads of ur kids are right at backpack/purse level and people were accidentally knocking kids in the head. Strollers offer more protection.

We use a radio flyer wagon at home all the time. I've never used one on board, but if the cruise line says the fold up wagon is OK, I'd go for it! (I've actually been considering buying one of these, BTW). The don't take up any more room than a tandem stroller. In my opinion, the only thing I've ever noticed as a problem is that it takes more work to pull with one hand than to push with two. As a side note though, I am pretty sure these are only to be used for kids 18 months and older.

We went to the fair recently where it was crowded and lots of wagons. It was horrible. In a crowd, the heads of ur kids are right at backpack/purse level and people were accidentally knocking kids in the head. Strollers offer more protection.

I've been using a wagon for nearly 20 years and have never had anyone's bag hit my kid in the head.

Wagon like a radio flier or other similar brands.. good luck getting that thru airplane or on the ship....

A double stroller of any kind beyond the weight and transport issues will always be allowed, if not with some fees on an airplane. Gotta believe you can even gate check that baby.

I've also called NCL and was told they would be allowed. I know having a child behind me is a concern, but I have a larger party with me and can always have someone walk behind us. I just can't count on that person being willing to push another stroller.

Just a warning about anything you're told by phone - it carries zero weight once you're trying to check in. The people on the phone at any cruise line most likely have never been on a ship and are famous for giving wrong information - and no one cares at check-in what you say you were told on the phone. I would for sure have the approval in writing on an email - but even that could be ignored by the check-in personnel. Strollers are allowed, wheeled items (scooters, bikes, skateboards, etc.) are not. Especially since they'll have probably never seen one allowed aboard before, I could see a scenario where they would deem it not-allowed, so have an email approval in hand.

All the best,

Mia

Just off the Carnival Miracle out of Long Beach. A family was using this onboard.

http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=collapsible%20wagon&camp=PPC:D0DQcsah_dm:7524434207%7Ce:%2Bfolding%20%2Bwagon&mkwid=D0DQcsah_dm&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=%2Bfolding%20%2Bwagon

No idea how they traveled to port, my guess is that they drove.

Edited by SadieN

Just off the Carnival Miracle out of Long Beach. A family was using this onboard.

http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=collapsible%20wagon&camp=PPC:D0DQcsah_dm:7524434207%7Ce:%2Bfolding%20%2Bwagon&mkwid=D0DQcsah_dm&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=%2Bfolding%20%2Bwagon

No idea how they traveled to port, my guess is that they drove.

I'm curious how they got it past security since those are strictly forbidden for use onboard carnival ships.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm curious how they got it past security since those are strictly forbidden for use onboard carnival ships.

i'm sure when it's collapsed and put away it would look like any other stroller.

I love my sons jogging stroller but for the ship we'll probably end up using his carrier, and an umbrella stroller for in port.