Children and Specialty Dining Charges/Menu

Apastron

My wife and I are planning to take our very first Princess cruise (13 day, New Zealand) in February. With that much time, we would like to try out the specialty dining venues (hopefully more than once).

Do the specialty dining fees also apply to children?--especially those under two (our son will be 1 year 11 months when we return)? How much of a "nominal cover charge" should we expect for the three of us?

Second, are there accommodations menu wise small kids? He's not very picky. Anything simple (chicken strips, hot dog, etc.) would probably work fine.

Thanks!

Dave

(...and not trying to start any kids/fancy dining debate. We know how to make him behave.)

I can't answer the question about cover charges for children in the specialty restaurants, sorry.

There is a kid's menu in the main dining rooms and it does feature chicken fingers and dogs and other stuff. Wait, let me google . . . Okay, this is a few years old, but I don't think it's changed much if at all:

P1050573.jpg

That menu is still current. My grandchildren all love the soup. It's kind of like chicken noodle. We took a year and a half old baby to Sabatini's this year, and they charged us half price, I think. It was a comped meal, so I didn't worry about it too much. She had spaghetti with butter, and that's all. The staff made a huge fuss over her, and she was smiling at them the whole time.

Edited by shredie

I'm not sure about the charge for an under 2 year old in the specialty restaurants and really can't imagine they would charge for a child not getting food off of their menu. You can order just about anything you want for the kids each night in the main dining room. My friends son ate chicken nuggets, broccoli and rice every single night. The waiter usually waited for us to order before he would bring out the food for Luc, but one night he actually had it waiting for us at the table and wouldn't you know it, Luc wanted a hot dog that night :) They are very accommodating when it comes to children and meals, I feel.

Edited by Mibele

My wife and I are planning to take our very first Princess cruise (13 day, New Zealand) in February. With that much time, we would like to try out the specialty dining venues (hopefully more than once).

Do the specialty dining fees also apply to children?--especially those under two (our son will be 1 year 11 months when we return)? How much of a "nominal cover charge" should we expect for the three of us?

Second, are there accommodations menu wise small kids? He's not very picky. Anything simple (chicken strips, hot dog, etc.) would probably work fine.

Thanks!

Dave

(...and not trying to start any kids/fancy dining debate. We know how to make him behave.)

There is NO charge for children under three.

Tony

The Dining Options information shows children 3-12 years at half price and children 0-2 free so the Crown Grill would be $12.50 for 3-12 year olds and free for 0-2 year olds.

They're going to regret that when they see how much my 12 and 10yos can eat! They put most adults to shame.

They're going to regret that when they see how much my 12 and 10yos can eat! They put most adults to shame.

Exactly! My 9yo grand daughter had the filet mignon, lobster tail, crabcake app, creamed spinach and still managed dessert. I had the same and couldn't fit in dessert.

Same kids menu in MDR still- my kids love the alphabet soup as well as the fruit salad and chocolate milk. They mostly ate entrees off the regular menu but we were impressed with the few times they ordered the fish sticks (more like fish and chips) and the chicken strips!

I can't answer the question about cover charges for children in the specialty restaurants, sorry.

There is a kid's menu in the main dining rooms and it does feature chicken fingers and dogs and other stuff. Wait, let me google . . . Okay, this is a few years old, but I don't think it's changed much if at all:

P1050573.jpg

The best item on the childrens menu is The Love Boat Volcano

2015-092315%20%20My%20Pictures%20092315%20Caribbean%20Princess%20Norway%20715_zpstrergbzg.jpg

Delicious!

The Spaghetti Snakes with meatballs as an appetizer is pretty good also.

Howard

We were given a complimentary dinner in Sabatinis on our last cruise and our 15 year old insisted on coming along. She tried calamari for the first time and now she actively looks for it on the menu whenever we go out to eat. I imagine when we collect her from her college during her next break, she's going to want some (she's already given me some other wishes for food items she's missed over the past few months).

Howard, Had you already eaten the cherry off the volcano when the picture was taken? ;)

Sometimes it came with a cherry

2015-092315%20%20My%20Pictures%20092315%20Caribbean%20Princess%20Norway%201863_zpsp7nsyh7t.jpg

And sometimes it came with strawberrys

2015-092315%20%20My%20Pictures%20092315%20Caribbean%20Princess%20Norway%201836_zpsqoqcfffe.jpg

A nice desert after a prime rib

2015-092315%20%20My%20Pictures%20092315%20Caribbean%20Princess%20Norway%201409_zpsthv4jpqr.jpg

And if you don't care for the rolls that they bring to the table you can order a fresh delicious Challah that they will bring to the table at no extra charge but you have to order it one day ahead of time.

2015-092315%20%20My%20Pictures%20092315%20Caribbean%20Princess%20Norway%201408_zpsrmwlqmrx.jpg

Happy Dining

Howard

That's nice. We are starting to take our grandchild on cruises . We go on rccl a lot and love the specialty restaurants but assumed they were out on all cruises. I'll have to look at Princess again. I loved it last time I went.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I remember right, our then 5 year old nephew was half price at the specialty restaurant for his birthday. Was only a four day cruise, but he never once ate off the kids menu, and we even got him to try escargot. He liked it while he thought they were special meatballs. Lol

My thoughts exactly!!! My 12 year old son is almost 6 ft tall and weights about 180lbs, He's build like a linebacker and eats like one too. My 3 year old daughter is pretty tall too, she LOVES shirmp and will eat till she's sick.