waterproof jacket with hood?

poss

I know that again and again people mention that item as being one of the real necessities for an Alaska cruise. I'd be grateful to hear suggestions of which brand folks especially like-- and also of brands they might have tried and found disappointing.

I'd also be curious to know if many of you find those hand and feet warmers useful. (I haven't googled yet to learn how they work. In fact, do they work?)

Thank you.

A water resistant jacket with a hood works fine . Any brand is fine. I use a jacket that I bought on Princess that is warm and has a light hood. I haven't used hoods except we I was working outside at -40 .I usually just use a woolen toque.

I have a Colombia Triclimate jacket that I really like. The jacket is water proof and has an inner lining that I can use or take out as needed. During the regular season the jacket is costly. However, I managed to score a good deal during the off season and I am very happy with my choice.

I'd also be curious to know if many of you find those hand and feet warmers useful. (I haven't googled yet to learn how they work. In fact, do they work?)

Thank you.

We have Kozy rechargeable hand warmers from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-provides-Comfortable-Flashlight-Emergency/dp/B014OGF73U) that we use in Alaska. They take about 20 minutes to get "very warm" but they do warm your hands quickly when kept in a jacket pocket. They have a flashlight and can be used to charge a cell phone (cell charging cable not provided).

Before my first visit to Alaska I went to REI and bought a waterproof jacket with hood and rain pants that match. I also have a fleece zip up jacket with a hood that I can wear under the rain jacket. They not only keep off the rain, they also keep out the wind. I also have a set by North Face but while the rain jacket has a hood, the fleece that matches does not. The North Face was more expensive but the REI was just what I needed. The jacket has a coating inside that does tend to peel off (after 10 years) if you carry a purse or camera bag on your shoulder. It's the rubbing that is the problem. The REI jacket and pants each came with a separate pouch so I just roll them up and stick them in a bag when I go off the ship if it looks like rain. I like the jackets with zip up pockets for Alaska travels.

In 40 years of working in the bush. I personally have found a good wool jacket the best for working in wet conditions. I've never got wet from rain or snow with a wool jacket. I don't use hoods but others do. I still have a nice wool hat if required to cover my head.

Edited by Kamloops50

Do a search on breathable / miracle / gortex fabrics in high humidity environments before you feel the need to drop the extra change. Gortex becomes less breathable the wetter it gets? You don't read that in their advertisements.

Look for a rainproof jacket with "pit zips" (underarm zippered vents). You'll avoid over heating.

One of the saddest lunches I've ever had was with an outdoor professional from Anchorage. He was all hi-teked out with the latest and greatest. We were hunkered under a spruce on a not particularly nice day and this drowned rat face peaked out of his jacket and said " gortex doesn't work very well in SE".

As you can see, there are many different preferences. Weather is far from predictable, so you may take a rain jacket and never need it, or need it everyday. I like to buy things I can use when not cruising. I live in a climate that can get cool in winter and can be rainy (hopefully). So, layering a fleece under a water/wind proof jacket made sense as I can use them at home. Look for sales on line. You can find some good prices, if you're not married to one brand (many quality brands out there). I found a great sale on the waterproof Marmot Precip. It has pit zips for heat venting, stuffs into it's own pocket and can be clipped to a belt loop or backpack. Great hood and visor really keeps rain off the face. There are many great choices and sales so keep looking and you should find what you need at a fair price.