Big GAP-Elite Plus at 750, then Zenith at 3,000.

jruben18

We will become Elite+ after our January cruise and are really excited about this. Going to love the 2 bags of laundry each as we take quite a few 12 to 14 night cruises. Will also be really happy to get the extra internet minutes.

Don't see making Zenith in my lifetime but will be quite content at the Elite+ with the benefits given. If a new level was added, we'd to see it include a complimentary classic beverage package. Maybe a complimentary package that would include sodas, water, coffees, beer and wine? Heck, just complimentary bottled water would be nice!

Heck, just complimentary bottled water would be nice!

I would actually like that myself. On our most recent RCCL Liberty of the Seas cruise 10/22 - 11/1 we got 2 bottles of water in our stateroom as part of our "Welcome Back" Gift and another 2 bottles for being Diamond members. I thought this was a really nice touch. 4 bottles of water is better than none.

Clearly Celebrity does a great job with Captain's Club. And, I am sure they have thought through the Club Points needed for advancement to a higher level quite carefully. From my admittedly biased standpoint, the gap between Elite Plus and Zenith seems huge. I understand that the Zenith benefits are generous and the number of Zeniths should be limited. But should there be an Elite Plus Plus somewhere in between 750 and 3,000 points? Even a firm handshake at let's say 2,000?

To review: Classic requires 2-149 Club Points, Select 150-299, Elite 300-749, Elite Plus 750-2,999 then Zenith.

Before the change over in Jan 2014, Elite was the top level.

Very spiffie that Celebrity did some small thing to add a tad for those that can sail more. Maybe they should just go back to Elite as the top spot and not have all this mumbling going on.:D

Just picking up on an earlier post. I am not sure if I am reading right but are you suggesting higher level status would not be maintained if you did not cruise at least 28 days a year?

What happens if regular (can I use the phrase lifetime Celebrity cruiser) has ill health and has a period of time when they are not well enough to cruise?

Or couples like us who last year spent a fortune on Celebrity, having a planned, nearly twelve month break to do some land based tours, and then have more (expensive) cruises booked?

To say nothing for working folks for whom 28 days cruising a year would mean forgoing all opportunities to see family....

Any update must reward loyalty over time, not over a limited period of a year.

CleGuy, my apologies again if I have misunderstood, please clarify.

We first sailed on "X" in 1990. Thought it was a bit formal. We've traveled most lines due to itinerary and preferable dates. Without a doubt, "X" is our favorite. We feel at home with wonderful staff and great perks. In January we will be Elite+. We will never reach Zenith. "X" does a great job pampering us. If "X" choses to add another level, we'll appreciate that also. Right now, we're enjoying the extras that we have!

We will become Elite+ after our January cruise and are really excited about this. Going to love the 2 bags of laundry each as we take quite a few 12 to 14 night cruises. Will also be really happy to get the extra internet minutes.

Don't see making Zenith in my lifetime but will be quite content at the Elite+ with the benefits given. If a new level was added, we'd to see it include a complimentary classic beverage package. Maybe a complimentary package that would include sodas, water, coffees, beer and wine? Heck, just complimentary bottled water would be nice!

Currently with the big better best pricing, everyone gets a complimentary classic beverage package except for a very few scenarios (TA/TP, Repo,), unless they choose some other perk in its place. With the prevalence of the 123 promos over the last few years, its been that way for a while in actuality. So this perk, would be meaningless to the vast number of cruisers who book standard itineraries.

And anyone in Aqua class gets bottled water, so those folks would feel "slighted" if that were an elite perk, it'd be a useless perk to those cabins.

Just picking up on an earlier post. I am not sure if I am reading right but are you suggesting higher level status would not be maintained if you did not cruise at least 28 days a year?

What happens if regular (can I use the phrase lifetime Celebrity cruiser) has ill health and has a period of time when they are not well enough to cruise?

Or couples like us who last year spent a fortune on Celebrity, having a planned, nearly twelve month break to do some land based tours, and then have more (expensive) cruises booked?

To say nothing for working folks for whom 28 days cruising a year would mean forgoing all opportunities to see family....

Any update must reward loyalty over time, not over a limited period of a year.

CleGuy, my apologies again if I have misunderstood, please clarify.

No you understood me correctly.

Elite Plus was an added attainable level already for many when the program was redone. I am saying that most folks should just accept that as the top level.

Adding a level above it I would say should be designed to support the actual loyal non-doscount, more than once or 2 times a year fare paying customers, and renew it annually, like airline and hotel programs do - to honestly provide perks to people who regularly and often support he line on a continual basis.

Zenith is the level that provides the rewards folks such as yourself are seeking, annual, regular cruising over time - here over time being the key point.

Obviously the hotel airline annual renewal program doesn't make sense form an overall perspective, which is why the Eliteplus below I say remain as it.

I am NOT saying make lower levels require annual qualification.

If you look at the Zenith Perks, many of the perks people are suggesting be added to the proposed "Zen Level" just simply won't ever happen, the perks people are suggesting are often better than Zenith provides. So to get the perks people are proposing, seems it needs to be geared to those who are cruising often, annually, on non discount fares, in order to reward that above and beyond loyalty and spend, and not just go to the once a year casual cruiser. In that way, from a business perspective, I can see the ability to add things like FREE dinners and free photos, that even Zeniths don't get, as these folks would be sailing so often each year. It would also stop those who say they sail 4 times a year, once on princess, once on Seaborne, etc. from being recognized as "loyal" when in fact they are not.

Edited by cle-guy

Sincere thanks for the speedy reply cle-guy. Glad I had understood your post. Not sure, however, you understood my point. Some years we will cruise 3/4 weeks, usually in a higher end suite. But then, we and others like us, will have a break for one of the reasons I suggested in my previous post.

So. I am Elite Plus after my next cruise, unlikely to ever hit Zeneth and you are suggesting the credits I build up are then worth nothing. My ongoing loyalty over periods ABOVE 12 months are not valued.

We have cruised no line other than Celebrity in the last few years. I made a light hearted contribution early on about some possible 'perks', including a lapel pin when in reality all most of us are looking for is a gesture but I do now feel a little dismissed by your views.

I would like to feel after completing another x cruises over another y time span it would still have some value.

In some ways as I write this I am wandering why am I bothering? As I again said in my earlier post the laundry coupons are the only ones that have any real value as an Elite guest. I think I just really feel that Celebrity should acknowledge and thank returning guests.

To return to the light hearted, I will settle for a free photo!

We are Elite+ on X, Diamond+ on RCI and Elite on Princess. We cruise all 3 lines annually and each have something to offer in the way of their benefits. In fact, this year (2015) we have cruised on X 2x, Princess 3x, RCI 1x. Next year booked cruises so far: 1 on X, 1 on RCI 1 on NCL.

Examples of benefits that we think are very good on the other lines:

RCI - Happy hour much better than X since you get to go every night and still get 3 drinks on your Cruise Card. You get a free 8x10 photo.

Princess - Free unlimited laundry (pressed on put on hangers if applicable) and free unlimited dry cleaning.

One other big plus is that RCI and Princess are much more reasonably priced on their Specialty Restaurants than X. X gives you a % off, but not everyone gets it. JMHO!

I think you are right! You are also already at the higher levels on other lines, thus not really abandoning benefits, just getting somewhat similar ones with some differences. What you are not getting is the absence of the higher level of benefits.

I agree about RCI and C&A lounge/card and having both. We are close to making Diamond Plus and kinda close to making Elite Plus. Thus, I do go through the mental exercise of should we book another with RCL and reach Diamond Plus or book with Celebrity and still be an Elite, but closer.

Would love to hear back from you after sailing NCL, which you did not indicate that you had a high status on and see if you missed the benefits afforded you on RCL, Celebrity and Princess.

Edited by shipshape sam

I think most of the Zenith level cruisers live in Florida and did many short off-season cruises to build up their numbers back before the point system was installed. We started cruising Celebrity back in 1993 and we are hitting cruise number 29 this December. We have 975 points.

If I lived in Florida and averaged five to six cruises a year, some five day cruises, most seven day cruises from 1993 to the present, I would have well over 3,500 points and would be Zenith. This could have been in all inside cabins.

I'm not saying the system is not fair, just realize how many Zeniths were early Celebrity fans that lived near the ports and could cruise at off-peak times. I'm happy with being an Elite Plus, but no way will I ever become Zenith.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Good point. We did benefit ourselves with a number of shorter cruises, but they were on RCL. Loved Sovereign of Seas week-end cruises for a couple of years when we could only get away for that period of time. Did not think Celebrity did many less than a week cruises. We have only take one 7 day cruise on Celebrity and no shorter duration cruises. The rest have been 14/15 day cruises which I LOVE!

Edited by shipshape sam

I think most of the Zenith level cruisers live in Florida and did many short off-season cruises to build up their numbers back before the point system was installed. We started cruising Celebrity back in 1993 and we are hitting cruise number 29 this December. We have 975 points.

If I lived in Florida and averaged five to six cruises a year, some five day cruises, most seven day cruises from 1993 to the present, I would have well over 3,500 points and would be Zenith. This could have been in all inside cabins.

I'm not saying the system is not fair, just realize how many Zeniths were early Celebrity fans that lived near the ports and could cruise at off-peak times. I'm happy with being an Elite Plus, but no way will I ever become Zenith.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Exactly

No you understood me correctly.

Elite Plus was an added attainable level already for many when the program was redone. I am saying that most folks should just accept that as the top level.

Adding a level above it I would say should be designed to support the actual loyal non-doscount, more than once or 2 times a year fare paying customers, and renew it annually, like airline and hotel programs do - to honestly provide perks to people who regularly and often support he line on a continual basis.

Zenith is the level that provides the rewards folks such as yourself are seeking, annual, regular cruising over time - here over time being the key point.

Obviously the hotel airline annual renewal program doesn't make sense form an overall perspective, which is why the Eliteplus below I say remain as it.

I am NOT saying make lower levels require annual qualification.

If you look at the Zenith Perks, many of the perks people are suggesting be added to the proposed "Zen Level" just simply won't ever happen, the perks people are suggesting are often better than Zenith provides. So to get the perks people are proposing, seems it needs to be geared to those who are cruising often, annually, on non discount fares, in order to reward that above and beyond loyalty and spend, and not just go to the once a year casual cruiser. In that way, from a business perspective, I can see the ability to add things like FREE dinners and free photos, that even Zeniths don't get, as these folks would be sailing so often each year. It would also stop those who say they sail 4 times a year, once on princess, once on Seaborne, etc. from being recognized as "loyal" when in fact they are not.

There is a big difference between airline and hotels FF points compared to one cruiseline. Firstly, you are able to obtain points from other airlines in the group to add to your grand total. Not so with X as each line in the group works independently. Additionally, X only have a small fleet of ships compared to the airlines' huge inventory of aircraft (partnerships etc.). Granted, some budget airlines may be slightly different, but I can book a scheduled flight at any time of the year leaving an airport in my country of residence, not so with a cruise ship.

Secondly, you can gain points from affiliations for hotel chains etc., which obviously increases your spectrum of usage, and that's the main point here. Some pax do not have year round cruises sailing from their country, so you would be placing them at a disadvantage straight away - certain continents only have a short season, therefore, some loyal cruisers may not be able to take the 28 minimum days (again, some continents do not offer cruises less than 10 days). Obviously if you live in the US, especially Florida, you are able to have more choice of shorter cruises throughout a longer season than those pax say living in Scandinavia etc. Yet, those same cruisers may be extremely loyal as they may cruise every year with X. This is without taking into consideration all the excellent points Chemmo made in their post above.

What's that favourite saying on these boards, 'comparing apples to oranges' :p.

All that being said, I'm happy to accept any perks :).

There is a big difference between airline and hotels FF points compared to one cruiseline. Firstly, you are able to obtain points from other airlines in the group to add to your grand total. Not so with X as each line in the group works independently. Additionally, X only have a small fleet of ships compared to the airlines' huge inventory of aircraft (partnerships etc.). Granted, some budget airlines may be slightly different, but I can book a scheduled flight at any time of the year leaving an airport in my country of residence, not so with a cruise ship.

Secondly, you can gain points from affiliations for hotel chains etc., which obviously increases your spectrum of usage, and that's the main point here. Some pax do not have year round cruises sailing from their country, so you would be placing them at a disadvantage straight away - certain continents only have a short season, therefore, some loyal cruisers may not be able to take the 28 minimum days (again, some continents do not offer cruises less than 10 days). Obviously if you live in the US, especially Florida, you are able to have more choice of shorter cruises throughout a longer season than those pax say living in Scandinavia etc. Yet, those same cruisers may be extremely loyal as they may cruise every year with X. This is without taking into consideration all the excellent points Chemmo made in their post above.

What's that favourite saying on these boards, 'comparing apples to oranges' :p.

All that being said, I'm happy to accept any perks :).

I did say in mu post that Cruising is different than Hotels and Airlines, I just feel that the current Elite Plus level, which is new from 2 years ago, suffices to meet the needs of most cruisers. And the current Zenith Level is there to reward the regular annual loyal cruiser, and of course the cruiser who smiles often each year, but who may take a year off for land based vacations, or due to illnesses.

Truth is, someone who cruises 4 times a year is more valuable than someone who cruises just one time a year, it's simple mathematics. These people should be on a "radar screen" by a company to reward. I'm not at all saying take anything away, I'm saying the new tier should reward frequent cruisers, not just someone who has moved up to a new level, and it should STOP rewarding cruisers who STOP cruising frequently.

The point of the reply is that the suggested add-ons for this mid-level are not at all reasonable to expect, given that most are more than a Zenith gets.

X is homebased in the USA, geared to US customers, whereas P &O is geared to UK customers. Let P&O make a similar frequent cruiser program for those who can't achieve those in the US.

As to the Airline analogy and being able to use partner airlines, I generally fly United. When I'd achieve Platinum Status with United, I would not get all the United Platinum perks when I flew Lufthansa, I'd get Star Alliance Gold perks instead. Kind of akin to Getting reciprocal perks with RCL and AZ for being a Captain's Club member.

So back to the initial question, this ZEN level must have perks that are not as good as Zenith, but better than Elite plus.

ZENITH PERKS

• Access to Michael's Club Lounge, including Embarkation Day

• Complimentary 1600-minute Internet package

• Complimentary laundry

• Complimentary Beverage Package+

• 20% discount on any digital or print photo package at the Photo Gallery

• 25% off Specialty Dining‡

• Priority Seating in Theater (on formal and production show nights, seats released 10 minutes prior to curtain call)

• Priority embarkation while the ship is in port

• Upgraded bath amenities

• Complimentary lunch at Bistro on Five (when sailing consecutively)++

• Complimentary Extend Your Stay (where available stay onboard longer on disembarkation day)

• Complimentary Luggage Valet service from ship to final destination airport (where available, airline fees still apply)

• Upon reaching the Zenith tier, Captain's Club will make a charitable donation in the member’s behalf

• Upon reaching the Zenith tier, receive a complimentary 7-night Caribbean or Bermuda cruise (in a Veranda stateroom only)+++

• At 6000 Club Points and every 3000 Club Points thereafter receive a complimentary 7-night Caribbean or Bermuda cruise (in an AquaClass® stateroom)

• Earn Double Club Points if you travel solo in a stateroom (as of July 1, 2014)

• Receive Hertz Gold Plus Rewards membership (earn free rentals) with weekly rental discounts, free upgrades, and other special offers. Learn more.

ELITE PLUS PERKS

• Complimentary 200-minute Internet package

• Complimentary tea, cappuccino, latte and espresso

• 10% discount on any Beverage or Wine Package‡

• 15% discount on any Specialty Restaurant‡

• 20% discount on any digital or print photo package at the Photo Gallery

• Private shipboard departure lounge with continental breakfast

• Access to a coffeehouse style breakfast and Evening Cocktail hour

• Invitation to the Elegant Tea event*

• Complimentary access to Persian Garden (on one port day of your choice, while the ship is in port)

• Two complimentary bags of laundry (wash, dry, fold) on all Celebrity cruises ***

• Complimentary dry cleaning of one item

• Ability to enroll in Royal Caribbean's Crown & Anchor Society Diamond Level

• Earn Double Club Points if you travel solo in a stateroom (as of July 1, 2014)

• Receive Hertz Gold Plus Rewards membership (earn free rentals) with weekly rental discounts, free upgrades, and other special offers. Learn more.

So what options are there:

Beverage pacakge, no, that's a zenith perk. ElitePlus offers coffee, tea espresso and cappuccino, and 10% off beverage package.

So I guess we add Premium Coffees (the ones with booze) or give 25% off beverage package? This perk is generally useless to anyone anyway due to the 123 and BBB promos whereby the vast majority of people already have drinks covered.

Internet, Zenith gets 1600/Plus get 200.

So I guess 500 minutes? Unlimited not an option, as zeniths don't even get that.

Add a second scoop of Gelato?

Laundry, Zenith is free, Elites/Plus get plenty of options. Do we just add another free bag?

Specialty Dining, Zenith get 25% off (not free), Plus get 15% off, so I guess new level is 20% off? I get buy 1 get 1 just for asking already, and 20% is easily had by asking.

Some have suggested a special "zen/zenith" party. Seriously how many people would that be on any cruise, and how boring would that gathering be....another tea party in addition to the one Captains club already hosts?

Do any of those perks really appeal broadly to anyone? So far about the only suggestion I've seen here that makes any sense is the lapel pin idea....but like the options above, really meaningless.

So I see the only way to add a tier that has any sort of value is to ensure it is tied to regular reliable revenue generation, and is earned and qualified for, such that it "pays" for itself.

It's not taking anything away from anyone, there is still Zenith to achieve over time - it's rewarding others, and it is not a guarantee or lifelong level like the others, thus it will remain a small group of cruisers and won't grow out of control over time, who a cruise line should pay special attention to.

Edited by cle-guy

I think you are right! You are also already at the higher levels on other lines, thus not really abandoning benefits, just getting somewhat similar ones with some differences. What you are not getting is the absence of the higher level of benefits.

I agree about RCI and C&A lounge/card and having both. We are close to making Diamond Plus and kinda close to making Elite Plus. Thus, I do go through the mental exercise of should we book another with RCL and reach Diamond Plus or book with Celebrity and still be an Elite, but closer.

Would love to hear back from you after sailing NCL, which you did not indicate that you had a high status on and see if you missed the benefits afforded you on RCL, Celebrity and Princess.

We base our bookings mainly on what we want in the way of ports. In addition, we found that cruising only 1 line gets very repetitive. The S-Class ships are almost all alike and we have been on them all. The M-Class ships are a thing of the past to us as we sailed on them and not since the S-Class came out.

We like the big RCI ships for their differences from the Freedom Class to the Oasis Class and do them both.

Princess provides us a difference in their ships. Been on all of their ships. We like the new Royal and Regal even though their balconies are small and narrow. We normally pick our cabin with the bigger balconies. Their ships are totally different than RCI or X.

All three cruise lines provide us variety and thus we never get tired doing, seeing the same things.

As for NCL, we haven't done NCL in years. However, our friends did NCL and they found it very different and enjoyable. So, we looked at the newer NCL ships and were completely surprised at the ships in the aspects of layout, dining options, etc. Why not try it and see for ourselves then we can do another cruise line.

We have done Costa, HAL and MSC, too. However, we now mainly stay with the three above. What is our favorite? Each of the three have their pluses and minuses. So, we just enjoy them when we cruise on them. We are past the food is better on ? Cruising has changed over the years. It is totally different now. However, we still enjoy each cruise, most of all the people we meet and ports we visit.

I could see a lot of the ideas here being reasonable if the level required annual requalification tied to an annual spend. The free dinners, the free movies, the free photos (the range of suggestions that even Zenith's don't get).

That is, once you get to 1500 points, you could retain ZEN status so long as you have a minimum of 4 cruises/28 nights in a veranda better cabin in a calendar year or something like that, kind of like how United Airlines has their Global Services tier, reserved for the best revenue and profit generating customers (NOT just best revenue generators they actually look to profitability, basically ensuring people are not buying bottom of the barrel fares) and they limit the number of GS members each year.

Otherwise we just have to accept that Elite Plus is the top tier, and Zenith is just something super extra special, and not intended for the masses.

What did we have before the Captain's Club changes?

As a loyalty program, having an annual requalification tier, would help to ensure LOYALTY, in that it'd be tough for many to cruise with anyone BUT Celebrity in order to maintain the required annual spend and number of cruises.

The big difference here is leisure travel vs. business travel. It's hard to have annual requirements for leisure travelers. The pool (of customers) is also smaller and they want to keep people at the levels to get them to come back, where as airlines don't care quite as much / have the capacity. I'm not describing this well but they're not the same.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Any time I have been on Princess our rooms have been ready by noon. That would be a nice perk for Elite Plus. A Zen party would be fun.

I don't think this is true at all. I know a couple of Zeniths who live in San Fran and a couple of others who live in Ontario. They fly to the ship, and stay on for weeks at a time. I would bet most DON'T live in FL. I just don't think the cost of the airfare is that great factor in the overall cruise cost, even if the advertised cruise only costs $799/person and the ticket is $500/person which is a low cruise cost and a high airfare cost, by the time you add gratuities, port fees, on board spending, tours/port spending and perks, airfare becomes less of a factor.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

Much easier to become Zenith on the East Coast and Florida. I bet there are not too many Zenith`s that live on the West Coast.

I don't think this is true at all. I know a couple of Zeniths who live in San Fran and a couple of others who live in Ontario. They fly to the ship, and stay on for weeks at a time. I would bet most DON'T live in FL. I just don't think the cost of the airfare is that great factor in the overall cruise cost, even if the advertised cruise only costs $799/person and the ticket is $500/person which is a low cruise cost and a high airfare cost, by the time you add gratuities, port fees, on board spending, tours/port spending and perks, airfare becomes less of a factor.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

At this point in time there are less than 70 People that have qualified at the Zenith level. We sailed with a couple last Nov who book a 2a/b on deck 6.

We are sailing with Arno and his wife this Nov. I'll let ya'll know what cabin level they enjoy in 24 days after we get back. Oh, BTW, they are fron the frozen area north of the boarder! ��

Hi Jenna! Are we at the Sunset yet!

Wallie

Edited by wallie5446
Say Hi to Jenna!

Might be best not to comment on cruisers by name and cabin selection.

Many here have had the pure enjoyment of meeting and sailing with them. This Nov will be our first, and we so are looking forward to meeting them. Down to earth folks. We are on a couple of groups on the book of faces with him.

Elite plus gets free drinks (coffee, tea, hot chocolate) in Cafe Al Bacio. This has changed our onboard habits immensely. Of course if you have the upgraded drink package you already have this perk.

I always seem to choose a cruise that doesn't qualify for a Beverage Package.

I LOVE the Café al Bacio benefit for Elite Plus and really appreciate it.

I have read these comparisons etc and I think that these loyalty programs have been invented to reward loyalty, simple as that. I have loyalty cards from restaurants I frequent, airlines I fly, cruises I take, even the Mani Pedi shop has a loyalty program. Basically they are all the same....The more you spend the more perks you get. As a businessman this makes sense to me.

I always felt it unfair when PH suites onboard ships were getting almost the same points as someone who had paid 10 times less then they had. Celebrities program had to change to reward spending and I am sure the 3000 Captains point milestone took into account how many people would become Zenith (83+I am told) as well as how many could potentially become Zenith and thus getting that incredible level of benefits. This all costs the cruiseline $$ so I am sure they even checked their mortality tables to estimate what the cost would be over time as well as ages of these members etc. I was also told that most of the Zenith guests are not big spenders, but are big cruisers, per se,.....So they take many many cruises but often in the lowest price cabins. This new program will now Award less frequent cruisers who cruise in larger suites but only 2 or 3 times per year.....Fair.

I don't think Celebrity needs a program in the middle as the elite plus benefits are excellent. On one hand people didn't want their past given benefits changed when the program did......but now they want more benefits? Ridiculous! In hindsight Celebrity should have CUT the elite benefits.....Thus having 4 levels where when you hit 1500 or 2000 you actually got them back....but that would be a new thread and a hot mess of mutiny ;)

I leave you with what grandma taught me. With money....you get honey.....simple as that.

Safe sails to all.