Suite Perks..Direct from Royal Carribean

tbill

Can anyone let me know if you do indeed get free water/soda in the Royal Suite? It is not that I am cheap but I hate to pay the price they want for water and soda and I usually bring my own for that reason.

Thanks!

That is the one thing we did get. Our cabin steward laoded over a case of assorted soda's into our fridge and the adjacent cabinet, and replenished waters, although I did need to ask for more water a couple times.

It was complimentary.

Anne

• 2 weeks later...
We had to do this last year on The Navigator. We took a black permanant marker and wrote suite on top where the black portion ended. We were amazed at how quickly our luggage arrived.

We loved our JS, hope you do as well :D

###

Oops, forgot that I had asked this. Since that time, I upgraded to a Grand Suite and had already marked our original tags. RCI just told me to get new tags at the pier. Thanks for the info :) Looking forward to our first GS!!!

I got the following e-mail from the concierge on the Voyager today. Her name is Josephine and she wanted us to know some of the perks we have in store for when we get on board. I sent her a reply asking her about some specific perks that we would be entitled to as a result of having the Royal Suite. I will let you know if and when I get a response. Here is the e-mail that she sent us:

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Wright,

It is my pleasure to welcome you onboard the beautiful Voyager of the Seas. We are honored that you have selected Royal Caribbean International for your cruise vacation.

My name is Josephine Grech and I am the Concierge onboard. As the Concierge, I am available to assist you with any special requests you may have. I will be available in the Concierge Club Lounge, located on Deck 9 Aft, daily from 8:30 am – 11:00 am and from 5:00 pm – 8:30 pm.

As a Concierge Club guest you are offered amenities and services not available to other guests onboard the Voyager of the Seas. For your convenience, here is a brief summary of those services:

· Use of the Concierge Club Lounge.

· Continental breakfast served in the lounge daily from 8:00 am until 10:00 am.

· Hors d’oeuvres served in the lounge from 5:00 pm until 8:30 pm each evening.

· A complimentary bar setup available in the lounge from 5:00 pm until 8:30 pm each evening.

· Assistance with reservations for Spa treatments, Explorations! And our Specialty restaurants.

· Priority tickets for the “Ice Odyssey” Show

· Latest DVDs and CDs available

· Daily menus displayed and pre-ordering of your dinner wine.

· Assistance with the arrangement of private parties.

· Ship’s stationery available in this folder – please contact me if you require more.

· Personalized Discover Shopping advice.

· Business services – I will be happy to arrange for any faxing or copying.

Please note that the Concierge Lounge is a private lounge reserved for guests staying in staterooms of Grand Suite and above and Diamond members only. The lounge is accessible twenty-four hours a day with the white key enclosed in this folder. Due to the adult-orientated atmosphere and availability of alcoholic beverages between 5:00 pm and 8:30 pm each evening, only guests 18 years and above are welcome at this time. During all other times, we request that an adult accompany children under the age of 18. We respectfully request that guests use proper footwear and appropriate dress while in the lounge. The lounge has also been designated a smoke-free area.

Please contact me in the Concierge Lounge or by dialing 3239 if there is any way I can be of further assistance. I hope you have the vacation of a lifetime onboard the Voyager of the Seas.

Best Regards,

Josephine Grech

Concierge

M/S Voyager of the Seas

Ext : 3239

There is great satisfaction of a job well done , and the profound pleasure of friendship deepened

Yikes! And I am trying to find out about JS perks!! Are thinking of a JS on Serenade to Hawaii and have been searching for info. about what we can expect as far as room service dinners are concerned. i.e., can we order from the DR menu at dinner times and how is it presented? Rolled in on a table with white tablecloth or plunked on the coffee table on trays? The JS itself looks very nice from photos I've seen but would appreciate hearing about any other niceties we might expect. Thanks for any infor. you can give us.

JS perks consist of priority boarding, (usually) robes in the room, and 2 Crown & Anchor cruise points. That's it. The JS does not qualify for the Concierge Lounge or any other onboard perk. Those are for GS, OS, RFS, and RS only (plus Concierge Lounge for Diamond C&A members).

As for dinner, I'm not sure how suite room service would differ from any other room service. Probably the Concierge level guests can order through the Concierge. But I'm not sure.

beachchick

just received this message from the concierge on the explorer. We're in the RFS this sunday.

"You do have sodas and bottles of water in the minibar available but they are not complimentary. If you really need water in your suite, please let me know. I can make an exception and get some bottles for you."

I understand that only GS and above are allowed access to the Concierge lounge. I will be staying in an OS and my older children are staying in a JS down the hall.

How is it that my kids cannot join my wife and I in the Concierge area when we are technically paying more by putting them in a separate room. In other words, if I had them in our large OS, then they would have use of the louge. Instead, I spend more money and they don't get in. Seems strange.

Sailor Moon,

Thanks.

Makes sense to me and I was just told by an RC phone person that is the case. Another traveler however was told by two RC phone staffers that only the actual room guests get access. I will assume they are mistaken.

ksoze - what you want to do is go in and have a quiet conversation with the concierge when you first arrive. Land-based personnel are basically irrelevant here.

Oh my, I cannot believe I disagree with Carol, gosh, my heart hurts here :eek: Please don't take this personal Carol :p

For what it's worth, I don't think they should allow his children into the Concierge lounge unless they are also staying in a suite or are Diamond members. When people take advantage of perks they are not entitled to, it only hurts the ones who are. If everyone does this eventually the *perk* will go away - think JR's!

We met a very nice couple, while on the Navigator, who were willing to give us their extra keys to the lounge, we refused since we still want this perk around when we are really eligible.

JMO folks.

###

Tbill, that is the standard letter that suite guests get via e-mail from the concierge, we got the same exact thing from Yury on Mariner of the Seas, and we were in an Owner's Suite.

As for kids...the rules do say NO in the evenings, and we definitely abided by the rule. Our 12-year-old was only in the concierge lounge with us in the afternoons, so she could find some DVDs to check out. The lounge is SMALL on the Mariner, and there is nothing for a child to do. We had no problems letting ours enjoy our suite, just upstairs a deck, while we had a pre-dinner cocktail.

There honestly were NO kids in the lounge in the early evening hours. I think they'd be bored to tears if they were. ;)

I think it really depends on the concierge. I've seen teenagers in their with there parents before. They behaved very well, so it was not a problem.

Your kids are allowed access with you even if they have a diffrent cabin. I mean you just get in with a special key, they don't check who you are when you enter the lounge.

Oh my, I cannot believe I disagree with Carol, gosh, my heart hurts here :eek: Please don't take this personal Carol :p

For what it's worth, I don't think they should allow his children into the Concierge lounge unless they are also staying in a suite or are Diamond members. When people take advantage of perks they are not entitled to, it only hurts the ones who are. If everyone does this eventually the *perk* will go away - think JR's!

We met a very nice couple, while on the Navigator, who were willing to give us their extra keys to the lounge, we refused since we still want this perk around when we are really eligible.

JMO folks.

###

Phoenix, I was trying to phrase my response in as neutral a way as possible. I tried to express MY opinion - just that it was up to the Concierge on board to decide, and that the cruiser in question should approach him/her quietly and calmly. (his original post sounded a tad belligerent to me) :) We're good, you and I. :)

As for "children", RC asks that children never be unaccompanied by their parents in the Lounge, and that only 18 and older are welcome after 5.

I think it really depends on the concierge. I've seen teenagers in their with there parents before. They behaved very well, so it was not a problem.

Your kids are allowed access with you even if they have a diffrent cabin. I mean you just get in with a special key, they don't check who you are when you enter the lounge.

Oh, and yes the Concierge DOES check. The first day, s/he takes the time to learn whether you are SUPPOSED to be in there, and s/he REMEMBERS.

The question is how old are the kids? Are they 10 and 12, in which case they are still dependents and travelling with their parents as such (in which case they should, IMO, have access as long as they are with their parents and do not come in during the adults-only evening time), or are they 20 and 23, in which case they are adults and should have no Concierge privileges.

It makes a world of difference. Just because someone travelling with you is family does not mean they qualify for suite/Concierge access. I could travel with my mom and sister. Let's say I'm in the RS (yeah, right) and they are in puny JS's. Only I would have Concierge access. Period. Imagine if everyone in a suite decided to bring every family member with them? It would be even more crowded and would justifiably annoy those who have earned (C&A Diamond and above) or paid (GS and above) for the privilege. Even close relatives should not and do not qualify.

However, minor children travelling with their parents should qualify even if they are in a separate cabin. The "cut-off" age for this should be 18, IMO.

beachchick

beachchick,

As I stated originally, my children are older, as in over 18. My issue is simply that they could have stayed with us in our larger OS suite and gotten in with no problem. Instead, I have paid more for an additonal suite. It is not a deal breaker for me, but seems a little backwards. As for not "annoying those who have earned (C&A Diamond and above) or paid (GS and above) for the privilege.", I actually will have paid more than if they stayed with me.

I agree that if I had 10 relatives in various cabins they should not be able to join us. But, if I have children who could have fit within the bedding limits of my approved suite, then they should be able to join my wife and I. Thats it - did not want to start a class war. Maybe Woody Allen was right - "I wouldn't want to join any club that would have me as a member".

No class war that I can see. Buying higher level suites has nothing to do with the pax being of a higher class. It simply means they have larger cabins with more amenities and access to the Concierge lounge. That is what RCI has decided is a benefit of booking suites, not that those who do are of higher class then other pax. (I had forgotten you mentioned your children are young adults; sorry about that.) But my answer still stands.

As for how much you paid overall, consider that depending on deals and other specials, someone might actually pay more for an inside than someone else paid for a much higher cabin category. Actual money spent is not the issue. If it were, then RCI would have points for dollars spent, not cruises taken or categories booked. The issue here is whether someone is in a category that qualifies for the benefit. In this case, they aren't. But truly I do understand what you are saying about the issue and why you feel the way you do. Just because I don't agree, doesn't mean I'm unsympathetic. I'm a bit surprised that any OS doesn't accomodate four pax, but I guess some of them don't. I fear I've always assumed that all the larger suites were rated for more pax--I must remember not to assume such things.

Finally, my point about "annoying" those who do have access to the lounge is that the lounges aren't large to begin with and can quickly get over-crowded. I think it would be fair for someone who also paid for an OS (like you have) to be bothered if they couldn't find a seat or get service because other suite guests brought family members (including adult children) who were not in a suite or C&A Diamond.

beachchick

I'm a newbie wanting to cruise with RC. I was weighing the perks of booking a suite with concierge priviledges. Do you find it easier to book spa treatments, etc. easier with concierge? I'll definitely pay for more personalized service. Do they offer any pre-planning assistance?

TIA!

Note - Little wave to Ducklite. It's so funny I bumped into someone I know here. :D

Hi VA_Gal! I was able to book Chops, Portofino, and Spa appointments in advance through the concierge.

BTW--Lisa Goeke is here too, as well as half a dozen other DIS'ers.

I'll warn you, I didn't have an overall good experience with RCCL, and won't cruise them again.

Anne

Hi VA_Gal! I was able to book Chops, Portofino, and Spa appointments in advance through the concierge.

BTW--Lisa Goeke is here too, as well as half a dozen other DIS'ers.

I'll warn you, I didn't have an overall good experience with RCCL, and won't cruise them again.

Anne

Cool & Oh No - all at the same time! :eek: :D I'm glad to see a familiar face. I've been corresponding with Lisa on another site. Don't go Dis'n to often these days. I've heard such good things about RCCL in the office that I just assumed I should stick with it. It's tough making a decision. I'm all ears for suggestions. BTW, can you expand on your experience...don't know if we should take it elsewhere or not. Have you cruised with other lines except RCCL? Thanks for the help, Anne!

Bonnie

Bonnie,

To make a long story short, items described in writing on RCCL's web site and in their brochures as perks for the Royal Suite when we booked didn't materialize, and we were never notified of changes in their policies. Additionally, there were several unresolved maintanence issues in the suite, as well as some others that were remedied. We had a couple of MAJOR service gaff's, and DH and I were put in a very embarressing situation by the Captain and his administrative assistant.

The food ranged from OK to terrible, even in the specialty restaurants and the noise level was atrocious. And the constant harrassment by roving waiters to buy foo-foo drinks was absurd! Also there were a lot of nickel and dime things on RCCL, and finding a late lunch or snack was next to impossible without calling room service and waiting for 40 minutes for terrible food. Their idea of cheese and crakers is a couple hunks of run of the mill cheese and packaged Saltines. I kid you not!

We cruised in a Cat 3 on DCL a few years ago, and had outstanding service. We had one single issue that entire week that wasn't a deal breaker, it was just annoying. On RCCL there were more deal breakers than not. We won't be back.

We're looking into Radisson for 2007. If you book when they've got teh two for one's, the price is comparable to RCCL for a MUCH higher level of service.

Anne

Maybe Woody Allen was right - "I wouldn't want to join any club that would have me as a member".

I think it was Groucho Marx.:D

I think that, because your kids are adults, they are ineligible for the Concierge Club, but I don't know that for a fact. The fact that it's you, not they, who are paying for it isn't the key - it's that they're two adults in an ineligible cabin. Now, if they were minors, you wouldn't be able to book them into their own cabin - you & your spouse would have to break up the booking. In that case, who gets access? I would imagine the entire family, but now I'm just giving myself a headache speculating.

I don't have a problem with immediate families, adult or otherwise, going to the club. I would draw the line at Aunt Mabel. As somebody else suggested, ask the concierge. His/her decision is what counts.

Bonnie,

To make a long story short, items described in writing on RCCL's web site and in their brochures as perks for the Royal Suite when we booked didn't materialize, and we were never notified of changes in their policies. Additionally, there were several unresolved maintanence issues in the suite, as well as some others that were remedied. We had a couple of MAJOR service gaff's, and DH and I were put in a very embarressing situation by the Captain and his administrative assistant.

The food ranged from OK to terrible, even in the specialty restaurants and the noise level was atrocious. And the constant harrassment by roving waiters to buy foo-foo drinks was absurd! Also there were a lot of nickel and dime things on RCCL, and finding a late lunch or snack was next to impossible without calling room service and waiting for 40 minutes for terrible food. Their idea of cheese and crakers is a couple hunks of run of the mill cheese and packaged Saltines. I kid you not!

We cruised in a Cat 3 on DCL a few years ago, and had outstanding service. We had one single issue that entire week that wasn't a deal breaker, it was just annoying. On RCCL there were more deal breakers than not. We won't be back.

We're looking into Radisson for 2007. If you book when they've got teh two for one's, the price is comparable to RCCL for a MUCH higher level of service.

Anne

Oh, my, Anne! I checked in on Radisson and it's a no go. We're limited in sailing dates because of the school schedule. Hmmm - I think I'll hope over and check Princess out. That was my next pick in line. I hope I'm not going bad to worse with this decision. :rolleyes: Throw me a lifeline if I am. Thanks a ton for the info! If all else fails, hubby is just going to have to think Disney again. My husband was hoping to try something different this year. LOL!

Archived