Suite Perks..Direct from Royal Carribean

tbill

I think it was Groucho Marx.:D

I think that, because your kids are adults, they are ineligible for the Concierge Club, but I don't know that for a fact. The fact that it's you, not they, who are paying for it isn't the key - it's that they're two adults in an ineligible cabin. Now, if they were minors, you wouldn't be able to book them into their own cabin - you & your spouse would have to break up the booking. In that case, who gets access? I would imagine the entire family, but now I'm just giving myself a headache speculating.

I don't have a problem with immediate families, adult or otherwise, going to the club. I would draw the line at Aunt Mabel. As somebody else suggested, ask the concierge. His/her decision is what counts.

I saw a while back you were booked into 1600 on the Brilliance--we've got 1600 on the Radiance in 7 weeks, wondering about your experience/impressions--like, was there enough motion to have difficulty, was it more of a schlep than the big balcony was worth, would you rather have been on the hump instead of the aft...whatever.

You're of course correct that the quote was attributable to Groucho Marx. I think the previous poster was thinking of the scene in Annie Hall when Woody Allen looks into the camera and quotes Groucho's saying. Was just thinking of that movie while raking leaves yesterday. I have no idea what about raking leaves made me think of Allison Portchnick, played by Carol Kane, and her interactions with alvy singer.

• 2 weeks later...
Fritz265, we may have more experience cruising in RCCL's best accomodations and know what to expect, and probably know how to ask for the service expected. It is a travesty that it was ducklite's first experience on RCCL let alone that fact that they booked the "best of the house" expecting to be treated well. They need to let Miami know about this, whether they ever again cruise with RCCL or not!

Ducklite, please keep us posted as to the outcome with RCCL.

Rick

Just an update. I sent a letter to RCCL, addressed to their president about five or six weeks ago now. I never got a response. Early last week I sent a duplicate of the same letter again. To date I still haven't gotten a response. Bottom line their slipshod service obviously extends after the cruise. At this point they couldn't PAY me to crusie with them again, and I plan on making sure everyone I know avoids them as well. My letter clearly stated that I didn't want any compensation (too late for that), I don't think it would have been too much for them to simply respond.

Anne

Great thread, and dreadful to hear of the negative experiences of some. I hope there is resolution, or at least a thoughtful response from RCCL.

We're in a GS on NOS in December, and it sounds like it depends upon the concierge whether they contact you in advance and whether they'll offer to arrange things, like spa appointments in advance. Since it's not part of the official set of "perks", would it be rude to contact the concierge with a request, without them extending the offer first? (As I type this, it sounds sort of snooty or something.)

The second question, which I'm sure I know the answer to, can I assume there are no special deals/discounts or complimentary dry cleaning or pressing offered as part of the concierge service?

TIA

There should be a letter from the concierge waiting for you in your cabin that details some of what he or she will do. If you want some help with something, ask - that's what the concierge is for. I don't think that's snooty at all!

As for laundry/dry cleaning, there is no discount/freebie for that on RCCL.

We are just back from our cruise on the Voyager in the Royal Suite. I can now tell you what we got as far as Suite perks on our cruise, and yes what we actually got and what we were told we were going to get are two different things. The soda, water, etc. in the mini bar in the room are NOT complimentry. If you took it you were going to pay for it. We brought our own soda and water on board and our cabin steward (John) was happy to empty the mini bar for us so we could store our own stuff. Something to note here is that the mini bar fridge was far from cold. Our stuff was just a tiny bit cooler than room temp. as a result of keeping it in the fridge. Any bottles of liquor were not free of charge. They were happy to bring it but it cost the same amount as anyone else would pay.

We only got pre dinner treats on two nights. One night it was choc. covered strawberries, the other it was some pretty bad canapes.

We were provided robes on day 3 of an 8 day cruise and slippers on day 6. The slippers can go home with you free of charge, to robes cannot.

Absolutely NO priority debarkation. We were in the same mess as everyone else and when I say mess it is an understatement. Out of all the twenty something cruises we have ever been on this was the absolute worst debarkation I have ever seen. Embarkation was very easy. We were on ship in about twenty minutes after arriving at the port. No picture offered to us at embarkation though...I thought that to be very odd...and we were there early enough, we arrived at 12:30.

The concierge service was lousey. Her name was Josephine and literally every single thing we asked her she answered us with no...and then proceeded to blame someone else. We did not ask for much. We asked for reservations in Portifinos for Tuesday night between 6:30 and 8:30..we asked her on the day that we boarded. She called us back and said no way, only after 9:30. I was not about to eat dinner at 9:30 so I called Portifinos myself and got reservations for 6:30 Tues night, no problem. We also had a bon voyage party planned in the suite for 3:00 on the day we boarded the ship. RCI messed up..no record of party...after we confirmed w/home office 2 nights before cruise and they said all set..no problem. Josephine was no help here...we had to stand in long line at guest relations go get things settled. We had 25 people about to show up and nothing to offer them. Josehphine was also no help for Portifino reservations a second time on Friday night. I called Portifinos myself again and they set us up, no problem at all... another night I went into conierge lounge to ask a simple question and she told me to come back in fifteen minutes..she was busy setting up drinks for the evening and she was already behind. No time to answer now...what is that....I don't get it...all that I can say is we expected more as guests of the royal suite. I don't care what anyone says you pay a lot of extra money for that suite and I really did expect better service. I was just a bit frustrating...but we didn't let it interfere with having a great time.

We were also given 2 Royal Caribben tote bags on our bed toward the end of the cruise.

As far as perks go that is about it. We really did enjoy our time in the Royal Suite perks or no perks...it was a wonderful week and I hope to sail in the big suite again sometime...any questions feel free to ask!

We are just back from our cruise on the Voyager in the Royal Suite. I can now tell you what we got as far as Suite perks on our cruise, and yes what we actually got and what we were told we were going to get are two different things. The soda, water, etc. in the mini bar in the room are NOT complimentry. If you took it you were going to pay for it. We brought our own soda and water on board and our cabin steward (John) was happy to empty the mini bar for us so we could store our own stuff. Something to note here is that the mini bar fridge was far from cold. Our stuff was just a tiny bit cooler than room temp. as a result of keeping it in the fridge. Any bottles of liquor were not free of charge. They were happy to bring it but it cost the same amount as anyone else would pay.

We only got pre dinner treats on two nights. One night it was choc. covered strawberries, the other it was some pretty bad canapes.

We were provided robes on day 3 of an 8 day cruise and slippers on day 6. The slippers can go home with you free of charge, to robes cannot.

Absolutely NO priority debarkation. We were in the same mess as everyone else and when I say mess it is an understatement. Out of all the twenty something cruises we have ever been on this was the absolute worst debarkation I have ever seen. Embarkation was very easy. We were on ship in about twenty minutes after arriving at the port. No picture offered to us at embarkation though...I thought that to be very odd...and we were there early enough, we arrived at 12:30.

The concierge service was lousey. Her name was Josephine and literally every single thing we asked her she answered us with no...and then proceeded to blame someone else. We did not ask for much. We asked for reservations in Portifinos for Tuesday night between 6:30 and 8:30..we asked her on the day that we boarded. She called us back and said no way, only after 9:30. I was not about to eat dinner at 9:30 so I called Portifinos myself and got reservations for 6:30 Tues night, no problem. We also had a bon voyage party planned in the suite for 3:00 on the day we boarded the ship. RCI messed up..no record of party...after we confirmed w/home office 2 nights before cruise and they said all set..no problem. Josephine was no help here...we had to stand in long line at guest relations go get things settled. We had 25 people about to show up and nothing to offer them. Josehphine was also no help for Portifino reservations a second time on Friday night. I called Portifinos myself again and they set us up, no problem at all... another night I went into conierge lounge to ask a simple question and she told me to come back in fifteen minutes..she was busy setting up drinks for the evening and she was already behind. No time to answer now...what is that....I don't get it...all that I can say is we expected more as guests of the royal suite. I don't care what anyone says you pay a lot of extra money for that suite and I really did expect better service. I was just a bit frustrating...but we didn't let it interfere with having a great time.

We were also given 2 Royal Caribben tote bags on our bed toward the end of the cruise.

As far as perks go that is about it. We really did enjoy our time in the Royal Suite perks or no perks...it was a wonderful week and I hope to sail in the big suite again sometime...any questions feel free to ask!

If your story is accurate, and there is no reason to suspect it isn't, then it is purely AWFUL and you should send a letter with this information, as you laid it out here, to guest relations or whatever the name of the appropriate office should be--and name the concierge--she really sounds like she deserves to be fired for her lack of performance. What you described in absolutely the antithesis of everything the teach at the Cornell School of Hotel Administration, where I took a few course in the hospitality industry. And twice being unable to arrange a Portofino reservation for you and then have you do it yourself, no problem, is sheer incompetence.

I am usuallly really understanding about overworked folks in the service industry, but what you described is flat unacceptable.

I am going in a grand suite on the Splendour of the Seas, 12 nights to Europe. I was told they do not offer Concierge service on this ship. I have been lucky enough to have suites on other ships and have received free laundry, free internet and even a butler on a NCL line. They said I would not receive any of this ... well, I still get more leg room but I think I am going to miss the perks on this trip. Anyone know if I am wrong?

Thanks

twoguyscruising: You are correct that Splendour doesn't have a Concierge lounge (and thus no Concierge). I can also tell you that RCI has no butlers on any of their ships (with the possible exception of the Royal Suite, but I've never heard of a butler even for that). You will not have free laundry because that is not a perk offered on RCI for any category. Crown & Anchor members get coupons for a certain number of free internet minutes, but I don't know about free internet for suite guests.

I'm not sure what categories you've cruised in on the other lines, but RCI seems to have fewer perks than many of the other lines (although, more than Carnival and some others). However, I don't know at what level NCL includes a butler, etc. By this I mean that I don't know how many suites have that option or if it's only offered on the very top level (and very few) suites. I feel certain that there are supposed to be more perks for the one Royal Suite than for the several Grand Suites, if you see what I'm trying to say. The Grand Suites are the lowest level suites with true perks, but I'm not sure how much those perks differ from the Royal or Owners Suites (if at all--sadly, we haven't done either of those two yet).

This is what you can expect with a GS on Splendour:

An extra Crown & Anchor cruise point (if you decide to join after this cruise)

Priority boarding, often with a special lounge, priority tender tickets, and priority at disembarkation (also in a lounge and usually with food and beverages)

Robes for use on the cruise (if they're not there when you board, tell the steward)

Typically, there will be goodies delivered to your suite at least a few times (I've heard it's supposed to be every night, but that seems to be very inconsistent); usually this is the chocolate-covered strawberries, etc.

I know there are other perks, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. I believe there was another thread recently that listed them.

On RCI, the biggest perk of the suites is the suites themselves. The space, the larger balconies, the walk-in closets, the snazzy bathrooms, the big sitting area/room, etc.

I hope this helps a bit. Have a great time.

beachchick

Priority boarding, often with a special lounge, priority tender tickets, and priority at disembarkation (also in a lounge and usually with food and beverages)
Except that tbill, in his post above, said that they DID NOT GET priority disembarkation. It sounds like he really got shafted - paid for the Royal Suite, and got only the square footage.

well.. I kind of heard the perks were not going to be as good as some of the other cruiselines. But really we book the suite for the space and the perks are the benefits that some offer. I do like easy boarding, and sometimes being treated extra special feels very good. I have really never had a bad cruise so its always interesting to read review. Which I have never wrote one on any of my cruises (im lazy). To our supprise our suite on NCL (cost over $6k for 7 nights) gave us the butler service + concierge class. So we paid for it! lol

We will still enjoy the cruise I am sure.

Thank you,

Arthur

Except that tbill, in his post above, said that they DID NOT GET priority disembarkation. It sounds like he really got shafted - paid for the Royal Suite, and got only the square footage.

That sounds similar to my experience on the Mariner. Never again.

Anne

well.. I kind of heard the perks were not going to be as good as some of the other cruiselines. But really we book the suite for the space and the perks are the benefits that some offer. I do like easy boarding, and sometimes being treated extra special feels very good. I have really never had a bad cruise so its always interesting to read review. Which I have never wrote one on any of my cruises (im lazy). To our supprise our suite on NCL (cost over $6k for 7 nights) gave us the butler service + concierge class. So we paid for it! lol

We will still enjoy the cruise I am sure.

Thank you,

Arthur

You'll pay more than that for a seven night cruise in the royal suite on RCCL. TOTALLY not worth it--dare I say rip off! They promise and don't deliver. Things that were stated in their print collateral when we booked were not delivered, and that's flat out wrong. I'm taking my dollars elsewhere in the future, because RCCL doesn't know the meaning of honesty and customer service.

Anne

Oh yes, I totally agree about tbill's experience. I should have written "supposed" to get the priority disembarkation.

beachchick

I don't understand what is going on with RCCL. What tbill experienced is totally unacceptable. I know many employees would like to have Jack Williams back. There is something terribly wrong when so many that have GS, OS and RS are not even receiving the perks that the company states.

Ducklite has never received a response from her letter to the president of RCCL. No one in management takes the time to even respond!!

We have always had good service when cruising with RCCL. We have 4 cruises coming up with them, and I hope that I don't have the same experience as a few of the others. I know that the management in Miami reads CC, and I would think that changes would be made onboard, to at least provide the perks that management set forth.

Rick

On RCI, the biggest perk of the suites is the suites themselves. The space, the larger balconies, the walk-in closets, the snazzy bathrooms, the big sitting area/room, etc.

beachchick

beachchick, I hear you there and I agree just having the suite was an awesome experience, but I have to tell you that it does not just cost a few hundred extra for this space, it is thousands of dollars and for the money you pay they should bend over backwards to treat you like royalty..after all it is RCCL that named it the "Royal Suite"! :)

beachchick, I hear you there and I agree just having the suite was an awesome experience, but I have to tell you that it does not just cost a few hundred extra for this space, it is thousands of dollars and for the money you pay they should bend over backwards to treat you like royalty..after all it is RCCL that named it the "Royal Suite"! :)

I didn't even want them to bend over backwards or treat me like royalty. I simply wanted what they promised when I booked. I wanted French toast in my cabin for breakfast. That's the bottom line.

Anne

I've reading tbill's review of the Royal Suite on the Voyager and what I've read is a complete surprise to me. We had a Grand Suite in September and had a wonderful time not only because the room was great but also because we were treated so well by Josephine in the concierge lounge. She was incredible at her job taking care of everyone in the lounge. The one thing I found was everyone was equal in there , no distinguishing between grand, owner , royal or diamond members. As far as Portofino's we had absolutely no problems with reservations. What happened to you I'm assuming was a fluke , just a bad week for her or was not her fault. We even met people that have had her before as a concierge and they had nothing but wonderful things to say about her. Now the comment you made about Josephine asking you to come back in 15 minutes did sit in my mind. Of all the things to remember and take back with you from a cruise. If this happened to me , I wouldn't think twice about it . I would of just come back in a few minutes. Not a big deal. I think your complaints sounded a bit snobby. I understand that you paid quite a bit of money for the Royal Suite but the extra money was for the piano and sectional sofa not for service above and beyond everyone elses. If your looking to be waited on hand and foot RCCL just isn't that cruise line. They do a good job for the average person who just need a vacation. I just felt that I had defend Josephine a bit since our experience was wonderful. She even got us a seat at the captain's table. Oh , as far as the mini fridge , that was one thing I took with me from the boards . Everyone has made a comment about the not so cold fridges so we just brought our own cooler. Worked great.

I think your complaints sounded a bit snobby. I understand that you paid quite a bit of money for the Royal Suite but the extra money was for the piano and sectional sofa not for service above and beyond everyone elses.

LOL a bit snobby :confused: :confused: I disagree. tbill and Anne have legitimate compliants, they didn't even get the service and amenities that apparently you received and they paid for the Royal Suite, you were just in a Grand Suite. I believe those staying in the RS should get better service.

It appears that RCI is really failing in this area. :mad:

###

Just returned from the RS on the Serenade. Perks are basic.....but was prepared as I had heard other reports. The RS was Awesome!! The first 2 nights our concierge was sick so a gentleman from the pursers desk was covering for her. I asked him politely if he would allow me to bring 2 glasses of wine back for my wife and I to enjoy while getting the kids for dinner. This worked fine. But then when the real concierge came back she asked that we did not continue to do so. We did not continue. I was a little upset when I saw her pour a gin and tonic into paper cup for a passenger to take back to his room. So I asked her about it and she said "well in a paper cup that would be fine" I wish she had told us that in the beginning.

She did a great job in sending out the invitations to that party and having the bar stocked with 3 severs along with the champagne that I had purchased for the party. She even went out of her way to get us snacks, which from what I understand RCI would normally charge for. We had a great time and will definitely be going on RCI again and maybe even on the Serenade!!

Cruzsugs: I just had a chance to get on the boards after being sick all last week. Excuse me, I am NOT snobby and neither are my "complaints"...and by the way they are not complaints, they are the FACTS!...I can only report it as it happened. As far as the snippy "come back in 15 minutes" comment...that is what she said, it was rude, especially they way she presented it..I just had a simple yes or no question to ask her, I was not asking her to do brain surgery!....I don't care how special Josephine was to you on your cruise, that is not the experience we had...and just to let you know we did not hang out in the conceirge lounge looking for free stuff and special treatment all week..as a matter of fact we never so much as had one drink in there...I only reached out to her 4 times (2 of them by telephone) and not one of those times was she helpful to us. Not that it is any of your business but we still sent her a small monetary gratutity because she mentioned to us that it was her birthday (not because of services rendered) on one of the days I spoke to her. Bottom line Cruzsugs..she was not of any service to us at all on the 4 small things we asked of her. Also who are you to assume that of all the things to remember and take back with us from our cruise was being told to come back in 15 minutes by Josephine...that is far from the truth...what we took away from this cruise was a bunch of new friends that we met on board and had an awesome time with all week, lots of great memories with a bunch of old friends that we went on the cruise with, lots of cash from the casino that paid for our trip and gave us ZERO balance sea pass account when we left the ship and money to spare even after that!...that is what we will remember..so consider yourself corrected. By the way we were invited (not by request to Josephine, but actually invited) to dine with the captain and we declined as we did not want to give up a night with our good friends to dine with strangers just to be able to say we dined with the captain. One more tip for you cruzsugs, John, our cabin steward provided a full sized cooler filled with ice in the butler's pantry to store our cold drinks in...you don't have to lug your own cooler on ship...I was just making a comment about the fridge..just the facts...

As far as expecting special service as a result of having the Royal Suite..that is not what we were expecting but for the money we paid I was expecting Josephine to be able to do the 3 simple things we asked and to answer the 1 simple question we asked...

I just want to say one more time "do not call me snobby" as I am far from it and I take offense to the tone of your response.

Terri

Sorry, I'm probably jumping right into the fire on this one. No, I've never cruised but I've been following this thread. I feel some people book suites not just for additional space on RCI, but for the service RCI advertises. I see no reason why those in the RS wouldn't expect to have a little more attention than ones staying a GS or OS. I know when I stayed in a Presidential suite elsewhere I certainly expected an upgraded level of service - period. It's not snobby, it's a fact. I would have been to a manager in a heartbeat if a staff rudely told me to come back so they could answer my question. How about a polite "Could you give me just a moment, please? There were a few folks I'm helping out first. I'll be right with you." The last time I checked, our money pays their salary just like my customers pay my salary. This may sound harsh, but you know it's true. I work for them and I expect people to work for me when the roles are reversed. If staffing is an issue, they should put an additional staff member in there to help with the work load. There are those that stay in a suite that never ask for a thing while some of us rely on the expertise of the concierge staff for reservations, tickets, information, etc. If I'm polite to them, isn't it fair to expect them to reciprocate? Rudeness is completely uncalled for. I feel concierge must have a certain level of professionalism and tact. I'm not saying where are queen sheba's here and expecting folks to roll out the red carpet. I don't think asking for in suite dining should've been such a big deal. Most certainly the cabin should have been in excellent condition with no problems. RCI should've been more interested in what people have to say and fix what needs to be fixed and apologize when service was lacking.

I'd love to get a better handle on this. We've seen some good and bad. Can anyone else comment on the quality of the service that have stayed in a GS or higher in the past year?

Cruzsugs: I just had a chance to get on the boards after being sick all last week. Excuse me, I am NOT snobby and neither are my "complaints"...and by the way they are not complaints, they are the FACTS!...I can only report it as it happened. As far as the snippy "come back in 15 minutes" comment...that is what she said, it was rude, especially they way she presented it..I just had a simple yes or no question to ask her, I was not asking her to do brain surgery!....I don't care how special Josephine was to you on your cruise, that is not the experience we had...and just to let you know we did not hang out in the conceirge lounge looking for free stuff and special treatment all week..as a matter of fact we never so much as had one drink in there...I only reached out to her 4 times (2 of them by telephone) and not one of those times was she helpful to us. Not that it is any of your business but we still sent her a small monetary gratutity because she mentioned to us that it was her birthday (not because of services rendered) on one of the days I spoke to her. Bottom line Cruzsugs..she was not of any service to us at all on the 4 small things we asked of her. Also who are you to assume that of all the things to remember and take back with us from our cruise was being told to come back in 15 minutes by Josephine...that is far from the truth...what we took away from this cruise was a bunch of new friends that we met on board and had an awesome time with all week, lots of great memories with a bunch of old friends that we went on the cruise with, lots of cash from the casino that paid for our trip and gave us ZERO balance sea pass account when we left the ship and money to spare even after that!...that is what we will remember..so consider yourself corrected. By the way we were invited (not by request to Josephine, but actually invited) to dine with the captain and we declined as we did not want to give up a night with our good friends to dine with strangers just to be able to say we dined with the captain. One more tip for you cruzsugs, John, our cabin steward provided a full sized cooler filled with ice in the butler's pantry to store our cold drinks in...you don't have to lug your own cooler on ship...I was just making a comment about the fridge..just the facts...

As far as expecting special service as a result of having the Royal Suite..that is not what we were expecting but for the money we paid I was expecting Josephine to be able to do the 3 simple things we asked and to answer the 1 simple question we asked...

I just want to say one more time "do not call me snobby" as I am far from it and I take offense to the tone of your response.

Terri

Hmmm were do I start. First of all I was just letting people know that Josephine was a great Concierge and what happened to you may not happen to them. Secondly your comment did come off snobby to me , you didn't explain that she said "come back in 15 minutes" in a nasty tone, sorry if it wasn't meant to come off that way. Sometimes people tend to read things in a certain manner. Well anyway , I hope I got my point across with Josephine. Just because there might have been problems (whether her fault or not ) one week doesn't mean it will be the same the next. We all have bad weeks. Oh and Congrats on winning in the casino, by the tone of your note I would have never guessed it.

• 2 weeks later...

After sending a letter back in October, and another one about three weeks ago in late November, and not getting a peep of response, I called RCCL. It took a couple tries to get to the right person, but I finally got a girl named Michelle on the phone. She looked around and was unable to find any record of my letters. ::::heavy sigh:::: So I faxed directly to her, the letter I had already sent twice. She called yesterday morning to let me know it had been received, and she'd be looking into it. I'll let you all know what happens. I'm not holding my breath.

Anne

Archived