Oasis of the Seas Person overboard

marko711

This is very sad. This man was on vacation and now may not be coming home. I first heard of this story this evening upon returning home from work, I did go to YouTube and saw the video (wish I hadn't looked). Didn't expect to see it that clear.

You can hear him speaking to another man, saying "you the reason why I'm here!" The other man is heard clearly saying "I'm not leaving until your back on this ship! I believe the Oasis Team was trying to get to him.

A news article said he was 35 and Brazilian.?

I can't even begin to wrap my head around how others on the ship must be feeling. I was on this ship in August with 21 of my closest family members and a few good friends. We had such a wonderful time! IMHO the trip was flawless.

My thoughts and prayers are with this man and his family. While I don't know all the details as to what happen, the details are really not necessary, most important is a life is missing. Someone's child, brother, uncle and friend, or spouse?

The ship returns with one less passenger. :(:(:(

Pray for this man and his family.

That conversation was between the man on board and whomever was trying to get him away from the scene. He said" Im not going anywhere until he is back on board" Not the way you heard it. The man ONboard was also saying that those same people were at fault because they made him (the man ONboard) step out of the room.

The 2nd officer told me they did this type of stop today after the "Oscar, Oscar, Oscar" call was sounded. He said they stopped in less than one mile. As far as I can tell, nothing happened to dishes or people sleeping (like me - just fifteen cabins down the hallway from the incident)

Actually, they can reverse within seconds at any speed. The Oasis has three Asipods than can turn 360 degrees. They did turn them after the Oscar alarm and stopped just short of one mile. I was sleeping at the time and it did not wake me up. Based on my conversation with others today, many of us slept through the reversal.

I won't debate what you were told, but I have my doubts that the ship was doing anything near full speed when they stopped as quickly as you were told. If they had reversed the pods at full speed, the vibrations from the cavitation of the propellers and the thrust of the water onto the hull would have woken the dead regardless of where on the ship you were. I've done this before.

And, the center pod is fixed and cannot be rotated to reverse, so when the direction of rotation on this pod is changed, the flow characteristics changes, causing even more vibration.

Edited by chengkp75

They don't stop until they perform either an Anderson or Williamson turn. It is ship procedure to return to the area the man overboard occurred.

The use of Anderson, Williamson, or Scharnow turns is not as useful these days, and while still practiced, they are not of use for cruise ships these days.

The reason for these turns was to return the ship to nearly the exact location that the overboard happened, or to return the ship to its exact reciprocal course. With today's electronic charts and GPS, there is a special button on the radars and ECDIS which is used to mark incidents like a man overboard. When pressed, this places a mark on the electronic chart with GPS co-ordinates and time/date stamp. The navigating officers can then use this to navigate the vessel back to that exact spot regardless of how they maneuver. In the days when these turns were "invented", navigation was known as the "art of knowing where you were 10 minutes ago", since it took time to determine a position prior to GPS.

Also, all of these turns require the use of full helm commands (hard over), which will cause "turn induced heeling" (listing away from the turn) in any vessel, but with the height of cruise vessels, and the speed they travel at, and the high tech steering (either azipods or Becker rudders), this list becomes nearly critical at sea speed, and is still significant at reduced speed. Generally, ships at sea limit the rudder to 5-7* (out of 35* of full travel) to minimize heeling. Several ships (Norwegian Sky, a Princess ship in NZ, others I can't recall which) have had extreme heeling incidents from oversteering at speed, with the result that NCL had to disembark 100+ passengers for medical treatment (many broken bones).

Every time I hear a passenger went overboard, my heart aches for that soul and the family and friends left behind.

I find it beyond deplorable that a passenger would be so insensitive to post a video of this man's final moments. I will not look as it will haunt me. Shame on them and the news stations if they indeed aired the footage.

I stopped watching the news after 9-11 and prefer to read as I don't need visuals of tragedies.

Prayers go out also to the crew that tried to rescue him. This will certainly have a deep and profound effect on them.

Sorry for the fellow passengers that witnessed such an horrific event.

We all know the thrill of stepping onboard a ship with the anticipation of creating wonderful memories. For this family, it has been a nightmare.

Prayers for this man's soul, may he RIP.

I won't debate what you were told, but I have my doubts that the ship was doing anything near full speed when they stopped as quickly as you were told. If they had reversed the pods at full speed, the vibrations from the cavitation of the propellers and the thrust of the water onto the hull would have woken the dead regardless of where on the ship you were. I've done this before.

And, the center pod is fixed and cannot be rotated to reverse, so when the direction of rotation on this pod is changed, the flow characteristics changes, causing even more vibration.

We were doing around 17 knots at the time. Full speed is around 24 knots

All three pods can turn 360 degrees.

Where do you get your stupid information that there are no life vests in the cabins?

No life vests in cabin on Oasis. They were removed because of the many accidents during muster drill. They are available at muster stations and other key places on the ship. Also, not available on the Quantum class. Those are the ones that I've sailed in the last couple of years and don't know if it's fleet wide now.

No life vests in cabin on Oasis. They were removed because of the many accidents during muster drill. They are available at muster stations and other key places on the ship. Also, not available on the Quantum class. Those are the ones that I've sailed in the last couple of years and don't know if it's fleet wide now.

To me, that makes sense. Who's going to run back to the cabin when they can just pick them up? I've thought about this even on small ships:)

At 20 kts, and one minute response time for information getting to the bridge to slow, hit the man over board button, or start a turn is equal to something going overboard being 2 ship lengths or one third of a mile behind the vessel in water churned up by the wake. Look for the equivalent of something smaller than a water mellon in that disturbed water. If you think you could see it, look away for a second and then try to find it.

Very difficult to see in day light!!! And, this was in darkness.

Some of the hard realities of the seas.

No life vests in cabin on Oasis. Also, not available on the Quantum class. Those are the ones that I've sailed in the last couple of years and don't know if it's fleet wide now.

Now that you say that all the video I've watched for room's never saw a vest in any closet.

To me, that makes sense. Who's going to run back to the cabin when they can just pick them up? I've thought about this even on small ships:)

The ones in the cabins are to be grabbed if necessary when you are in your cabin. Otherwise, there are plenty of life jackets stored near the muster areas also.

Anyone who is appalled by the video being posted does not have to click on it or watch it. It's a choice. In this day and age anything you do in public can be recorded.

Edited by BND

This really is a sad turn of events. I assume this is a regularly traveled route for other cruise ships traveling to the same areas. The plus is that if he is still out there, there is a greater possibility of him being spotted. However, at this point, I'd hate to say it, but I'm assuming the worst.

Thankfully, none of my local news channels picked up the story last night. My local radio station I listen to on my morning commute always plays a segment from ABC world news before they announce the local news, and I was surprised they didn't mention anything about it, seeing as it was an ABC station that broke the story early Friday morning (I think?).

No life vests in cabin on Oasis. Also, not available on the Quantum class. Those are the ones that I've sailed in the last couple of years and don't know if it's fleet wide now.

Now that you say that all the video I've watched for room's never saw a vest in any closet.

They were in our cabin on Indy a few weeks ago.

The ones in the cabins are to be grabbed if necessary when you are in your cabin. Otherwise, there are plenty of life jackets stored near the muster areas also. Anyone who is appalled by the video being posted does not have to click on it or watch it. It's a choice. In this day and age anything you do in public can be recorded.
I'll second that.

The ones in the cabins are to be grabbed if necessary when you are in your cabin. Otherwise, there are plenty of life jackets stored near the muster areas also.

Anyone who is appalled by the video being posted does not have to click on it or watch it. It's a choice. In this day and age anything you do in public can be recorded.

I guess a lot of these folks that are upset with the video and the incident, must not be watching tv news as they would be really appalled as to what is going on in major US cities and around the world. Must be watching those ridiculous reality shows. I feel sorry for the family and it may sound cold, but this individual just got his 15 minutes of fame--ridiculous act.