Visa Service

kmks1

Can anyone tell me the best approach for obtaining a Visa for a Cruise? I have not done it before and I see there are services and websites that go directly to the Country...any thoughts on what is the best way to go? Any help would be appreciatted. The Countries im most interesteed in are Austraila and India....thanks in advance.

First, determine whether a visa is required for the countries you wish to visit. NO WHERE that we have cruised other than Russia required a visa, and that visa was part of booking an excursion. Most countries allow you to visit for 90 days or in many cases up to 6 months without a visa.

We had to do a student visa when my daughter studied in London--it was neither easy nor cheap. LOTS of regulations and hassle.

Based on that experience, you'll need a tentative arrival date (in her case, a start of school date). They don't issue a blanket visa saying she could come whenever. The first step was proof from the school that she was enrolled, all fees were paid, and the start date was X. Then we got into all the government forms, photos, homeland security check, etc. Her visa allowed her to move to the UK 30 days before school started.

I spent a lot of time in the UK while she was there...but I never needed a visa because my stays were measured in weeks--I never came close to their 6 month limit.

I do know that both the UK and Japan allow up to a 6 month visit without a visa.

The deal with Russia is that they don't want you going off on your own--they want you to be confined with your group and your guide at all times. A single day visa there was over $500 (this is the kind that would allow you to go on your own).....with those fees, of course we didn't get one. We got the kind that allowed you to be with your tour group ONLY and must stay with the group at all times.

Edited by moki'smommy

As I recall we did have to have a Visa when we visited Australia and New Zealand. However, there was some confusion regarding how to get one. Seems like it started out that Princess was going to do it for us. But, something happened between Princess and countries and we had to do it ourselves. Which, to tell the truth, amounted to 10 minutes on the computer and it was done. Not sure if this answered your question or was any help but I hope so.

Barbara

You can apply here

https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETAS3/etas

An Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) provides authorisation to travel to and enter Australia and is electronically linked to your passport.

It is for short term stays for tourism or business visitor activities.

How much does this service cost?

AUD $20

This is the official Australian government portal beware of unofficial sites

Regards

John

Can anyone tell me the best approach for obtaining a Visa for a Cruise? I have not done it before and I see there are services and websites that go directly to the Country...any thoughts on what is the best way to go? Any help would be appreciatted. The Countries im most interesteed in are Austraila and India....thanks in advance.

Both Australia and India require visas for citizens of almost all countries, so it depends upon the passport you are travelling on. It also can depend upon whether you're arriving by air or by sea. The nice thing with both countries is that applying for a Tourist Visa is an extremely easy online process. Fees can vary, once again depending upon your country of origin, but can be paid online as well. Your best bet is just to google "Indian Visa" or "Australian Visa" and then you should be able to find the govt website with the info specific to your nationality.

Both Australia and India require visas for citizens of almost all countries, so it depends upon the passport you are travelling on. It also can depend upon whether you're arriving by air or by sea. The nice thing with both countries is that applying for a Tourist Visa is an extremely easy online process. Fees can vary, once again depending upon your country of origin, but can be paid online as well. Your best bet is just to google "Indian Visa" or "Australian Visa" and then you should be able to find the govt website with the info specific to your nationality.

I agree that an Australian visa is extremely east to get online.

I disagree about the visa for India. It is not easy. I know of cruisers who have skipped itineraries that have a port in India because of the complicated visa process.

This is where we applied for India and other visas for our world cruise next year.

http://www.cibtvisas.com

Good luck

M

Edited by Porthopper101

I agree that an Australian visa is extremely east to get online.

I disagree about the visa for India. It is not easy. I know of cruisers who have skipped itineraries that have a port in India because of the complicated visa process.

We applied India visa three time before for our first three world cruises, it used to be good for only one entry. Now it is good for 10 years.

M

First' date=' determine whether a visa is required for the countries you wish to visit. NO WHERE that we have cruised other than Russia required a visa, and that visa was part of booking an excursion. Most countries allow you to visit for 90 days or in many cases up to 6 months without a visa.[/quote']

WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Each country has different regulations, depending on the nationality of the person coming into the country, for what purpose, in what manner and much more. Some times visas are processed by the cruiseline for their passengers, sometimes the guests must do it themselves. Has your cruiseline given you any specifics for your specific cruise? Which line are you on?

Later posts were accurate. Australia is done electronically; India requires a detailed application and your physical passport. I would highly recommend a reputable visa service unless you are in a city with an Indian consulate or embassy.

Edited by FlyerTalker

you can contact a consultate in the US for any country in question and they can confirm if a visa is necessary. Only country I have visited that needed a visa was Turkey that was only if you were flying in vs visiting via a ship. Had a TA say we needed I visa, from prior travel experience I did not that she knew what she was talking about so contact the Turkish consultate on line and confirm as long as we were visiting via ship, no visa necessary.

Hopefully some here can recommend a service... I have never needed to use one. Did get a visa for Turkey years ago, was so easy at the time, don't recall how we did it, in the 1980s. I know we handled ourself. We fly in to Istanbul to get a ship at that time.

When we were in St Petersburg Russia, we did tours off the ship with Princess, otherwise we would have needed a visa, the Russian govt will not allow cruise passengers to wander around on their own. Plus when we visited in the 1990 we had to hire a car and driver for the day if we wanted to do anything on our own. We decided to simply take the ship tours which were fine.

you can contact a consultate in the US for any country in question and they can confirm if a visa is necessary. Only country I have visited that needed a visa was Turkey that was only if you were flying in vs visiting via a ship. Had a TA say we needed I visa, from prior travel experience I did not that she knew what she was talking about so contact the Turkish consultate on line and confirm as long as we were visiting via ship, no visa necessary.

Hopefully some here can recommend a service... I have never needed to use one. Did get a visa for Turkey years ago, was so easy at the time, don't recall how we did it, in the 1980s. I know we handled ourself. We fly in to Istanbul to get a ship at that time.

When we were in St Petersburg Russia, we did tours off the ship with Princess, otherwise we would have needed a visa, the Russian govt will not allow cruise passengers to wander around on their own. Plus when we visited in the 1990 we had to hire a car and driver for the day if we wanted to do anything on our own. We decided to simply take the ship tours which were fine.

See post # 8

You forgot a letter -- the correct link is http://www.indianvisaonline.gov.in

and even though the form is online, that form is only part of the process for getting a visa for India.

As the site says,

"The duly signed physical copy of the application form completed in all respect and submitted successfully, is to be submitted at the concerned Indian Visa Application Center (IVAC) or directly to Indian Mission/ Post, on the scheduled date of interview along with the requisite supporting documents."

This is why using a visa service for getting an Indian visa is a good idea. The passport is one of the documents that must be submitted.

Have you yourself successfully gotten a visa for India?

Edited by NMLady

Australia is very easy for many countries including those from the USA.

You apply on line and get an electronic visa.

It is good from one year of time of issuance.

This link will take you to the application form. Have a passport and credit card available.

http://www.australia-eta.org/english/

For India you need a traditional visa where you will send your passport in along with an application. If you do not live near a consulate I would recommend contacting a visa service to assist you with this.

Rules vary in terms of the application depending on which USA state you live in.

Keith

You do not say where in the USA you live.

If you live in or near a city with an Indian agency that can issue a visa, the easiest thing is to fill out the forms you can get online, make an appointment at the agency, and go yourself to drop off the application, your passport and the fees and return again to pick up the passport.

Otherwise, use a visa service that you mail the application, passport and fees to. Of course doing this will cost you more $$$.

You do not say where in the USA you live.

If you live in or near a city with an Indian agency that can issue a visa, the easiest thing is to fill out the forms you can get online, make an appointment at the agency, and go yourself to drop off the application, your passport and the fees and return again to pick up the passport.

Otherwise, use a visa service that you mail the application, passport and fees to. Of course doing this will cost you more $$$.

How to apply:

http://www.in.ckgs.us/visa.shtml

Indian Embassy, Consulate and locations:

http://www.in.ckgs.us/indian-embassy-consulate-locations-jurisdiction.shtml

M

Edited by Porthopper101