Boarding time for Oosterdam from Ft. Lauderdale

funji1

New to HAL but seasoned cruiser. What time can we start boarding the Oosterdam in Ft. Lauderdale ?

Other cruiselines we have started as early as 10 am which is great so there is time to settle in before sail away.

W:rolleyes::rolleyes:e are driving to the port and parking there so time is at our leisure.

Getting excited for November 27.

Thanks for your help !

New to HAL but seasoned cruiser. What time can we start boarding the Oosterdam in Ft. Lauderdale ?

Other cruiselines we have started as early as 10 am which is great so there is time to settle in before sail away.

W:rolleyes::rolleyes:e are driving to the port and parking there so time is at our leisure.

Getting excited for November 27.

Thanks for your help !

Boarding of new pax on HAL usually starts at 1130

We usually get to the pier by 10:30.

Sometimes the doors are open so that you can enter at that time. Other times we haven't been able to get in until 11. It all depends on how disembarkation has gone.

Boarding usually begins at 11:30. And Usually HAL has the cabins ready by that time so that you can get directly to your cabin and drop off all your carry on items. Then go and have lunch or do whatever you want to do.

Boarding of new pax on HAL usually starts at 1130

Just so I understand correctly... does this mean that if this is our first HAL cruise, we must board later than the other passengers because they have priority boarding?

Thanks all for the helpful replies !! CC is such a great resource and a perfect way to make friends prior to a cruise.

THANKS AGAIN !!

Just so I understand correctly... does this mean that if this is our first HAL cruise, we must board later than the other passengers because they have priority boarding?

Thanks all for the helpful replies !! CC is such a great resource and a perfect way to make friends prior to a cruise.

THANKS AGAIN !!

No. There is no penalty for being a first-timer with HAL.

Some passengers (In-transit) may be returning to the ship for the next cruise and they will re-board the ship as soon as the ship is cleared by Customs and Border Patrol (around 10:30).

Edited by Crew News

We just went through this. The building opens at about 11:00am Then you are issued a number group that will be called in order. You board with that group. Boarding started closer to 12 noon on our last cruise a couple of weeks ago.

Do you get a number when you enter the terminal or at the desk where you check in?

Do they have a separate line for 4 and 5 star Mariners? For suites? Geez, it was less than a year ago that I did this in FLL and I can't remember! :eek:

What time do they start accepting luggage? Was thinking of dropping of our bags early, before returning the rental car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have always arrived around 10:00 - 10:30 or so and Porters are always right there to take the luggage from us.

Joanie

Do you get a number when you enter the terminal or at the desk where you check in?

Do they have a separate line for 4 and 5 star Mariners? For suites? Geez, it was less than a year ago that I did this in FLL and I can't remember! :eek:

You get the number or Letter at check in and yes there is a separate line for 4-5 Stars, Pinnacle and Neptune Suites and Handicapped.

Joanie

Yes, they have a separate line for 4 and 5 star Mariners and suites. If you are in this group you wait upstairs. The other folks wait downstairs. I believe you get a number when you check in but I've been a 4 star for several years so I'm not sure.

THANKS AGAIN !!

No...what he said was not accurate. I just cruised Oosterdam out of PE on October 16. Other than those few who have priority, it is first come, first served. When you enter the terminal at Port Everglades and check in, they hand you a number. The earlier you arrive, the lower the number and the earlier you board. It doesn't matter if you're a first timer, 1 Star, 2 Star.....not at all.

Although, going back and looking at his post, I think he meant new passengers in general, not first time HAL cruisers.

Edited by Aquahound

Yes, they have a separate line for 4 and 5 star Mariners and suites. If you are in this group you wait upstairs. The other folks wait downstairs. I believe you get a number when you check in but I've been a 4 star for several years so I'm not sure.

Now that you mention it, I do remember waiting upstairs. We got there fairly early, before 11. Not much of a line to check in, but a lot of hanging around downstairs before they took us upstairs, where we could sit and wait. There was a large guest group going on board to have lunch in the MDR, so that slowed down the boarding of passengers.

Now that you mention it, I do remember waiting upstairs. We got there fairly early, before 11. Not much of a line to check in, but a lot of hanging around downstairs before they took us upstairs, where we could sit and wait. There was a large guest group going on board to have lunch in the MDR, so that slowed down the boarding of passengers.

We had the same thing. HAL would not let us upstairs until the lunch group went onboard.

Yikes! Many times I have booked a Hal hotel so I've always arrive around 12:30 or so via their transport. Lately I've booked my own hotels or took their when I could get a better deal but I usually take a taxi and arrive around 11 to 11:30. The lines are pretty short earlier generally speaking.

Related Question:

I will be requesting a wheelchair for boarding (I am not seriously disabled BUT I have had a recent knee replacement and standing for any length of time can get pretty painful). so my question - as a rule do people using wheelchairs board earlier or later? Either way I WILL be using a wheelchair but I am curious. Also would it be better for us to arrive at 11:00AM or noon?

Related Question:

I will be requesting a wheelchair for boarding (I am not seriously disabled BUT I have had a recent knee replacement and standing for any length of time can get pretty painful). so my question - as a rule do people using wheelchairs board earlier or later? Either way I WILL be using a wheelchair but I am curious. Also would it be better for us to arrive at 11:00AM or noon?

Earlier. All persons needing assistance are called before they start calling numbers. And being this is HAL...that line can be pretty long. ;)

No...what he said was not accurate. I just cruised Oosterdam out of PE on October 16. Other than those few who have priority, it is first come, first served. When you enter the terminal at Port Everglades and check in, they hand you a number. The earlier you arrive, the lower the number and the earlier you board. It doesn't matter if you're a first timer, 1 Star, 2 Star.....not at all.

Although, going back and looking at his post, I think he meant new passengers in general, not first time HAL cruisers.

Just to try to clear this up. Generally the upstairs area is used for handicap, Neptune suites and 4 & 5 Star Mariners. This group boards first (handicap first, the rest based on where they are sitting.

Then they call the people downstairs by number, the lowest numbers being the first ones that have checked in (first come, first served so to speak).

Earlier. All persons needing assistance are called before they start calling numbers. And being this is HAL...that line can be pretty long. ;)

Handicapped AND their traveling companions board first. Of course those on scooters can speed to board before the wheelchair folks.

Edited by Crew News

• 2 weeks later...
Handicapped AND their traveling companions board first. Of course those on scooters can speed to board before the wheelchair folks.

I now have this strange picture of scooters and wheelchairs racing each other to get on board

I now have this strange picture of scooters and wheelchairs racing each other to get on board

We were very early to board Zuiderdam in Vancouver a few years ago. We were in a Neptune suite. I think we were third and fourth in order of arrival at the chairs, behind a man in a wheelchair and his wife. There were maybe 10 people "behind" us. When they called us to board, the couple who were last in line sprinted to the gangway in order to be first, zooming by the wheelchair. We saw them later in the Neptune lounge, with plates piled high. Maybe they thought the lounge was going to run out of food?