Can I Take Cake off Ship

Lerin

My son will be having his birthday on the last night of our upcoming cruise.

We want to order one of the cakes from the Fun Shops.

We've ordered these before and have never finished. Usually we get it near the start of the cruise and will nibble at it for 2-3 days.

If we only eat half, will we be allowed to disembark the next morning with the other half?

We're staying in a hotel for an additional night after the cruise and would eat it there, so we're not worried about trying to get it on an airplane or anything. I know there are rules about flowers and fruits coming off the ship, but am not sure of any regarding a dessert that we purchased.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can provide.

• Like 1

My son will be having his birthday on the last night of our upcoming cruise.

We want to order one of the cakes from the Fun Shops.

We've ordered these before and have never finished. Usually we get it near the start of the cruise and will nibble at it for 2-3 days.

If we only eat half, will we be allowed to disembark the next morning with the other half?

We're staying in a hotel for an additional night after the cruise and would eat it there, so we're not worried about trying to get it on an airplane or anything. I know there are rules about flowers and fruits coming off the ship, but am not sure of any regarding a dessert that we purchased.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can provide.

The cake itself is not the issue. It is the potential for unseen hitchhiking bugs, microbes, etc in unpackaged/uninspected foods of any kind that pose real threats to agriculture. At a minimum, your cake would not be welcome in states like California or Hawaii.

If you can't order a smaller cake, share it with other passengers.

• Like 1

The cake itself is not the issue. It is the potential for unseen hitchhiking bugs, microbes, etc in unpackaged/uninspected foods of any kind that pose real threats to agriculture. At a minimum, your cake would not be welcome in states like California or Hawaii.

If you can't order a smaller cake, share it with other passengers.

Ah, ok. I thought that may be the case, thanks for responding. They aren't too expensive so it's alright if we don't finish, just hate to be wasteful. If we are assigned a large table in the MDR perhaps others would like to share.

• Like 1

I know I should not have but I brought my Baklava off the ship in Rome. I had put it on the side wondering what to do with it and I put it in the top of my large suitcase and forgot. Since nothing is scanned no-one noticed. However this was Europe and Celebrity.

I also realised that when we disembarked in LA after our Panama Canal cruise my husband had a Carnival breakfast pastry in his carry bag (he had taken in case he got low as hes diabetic for the bus ride to the airport) and as it was hidden no-one said anything.

We always do self assist BTW.

So the moral of the story is that if you want to carry any food off it needs by squashed in your suitcase.

I know I should not have but I brought my Baklava off the ship in Rome. I had put it on the side wondering what to do with it and I put it in the top of my large suitcase and forgot. Since nothing is scanned no-one noticed. However this was Europe and Celebrity.

I also realised that when we disembarked in LA after our Panama Canal cruise my husband had a Carnival breakfast pastry in his carry bag (he had taken in case he got low as hes diabetic for the bus ride to the airport) and as it was hidden no-one said anything.

We always do self assist BTW.

So the moral of the story is that if you want to carry any food off it needs by squashed in your suitcase.

If you get caught, there is a stiff fine, at least $300. if not more. A tax client of mine was caught and fined that amount.

Stan:cool:

If you get caught, there is a stiff fine, at least $300. if not more. A tax client of mine was caught and fined that amount.

Stan:cool:

See we were aware of this information (at least I was) but got caught up with various things.

Although I do wonder that the cakes made on board would be baked in a US vessel with US ingredients if they don't care? But fresh baked treats from Columbia would be. Microbes appear everywhere however.

I am willing to bet disembarkation is so crazy that so many have got through (not that its right). I actually saw someone eating a muffin on debark day this summer as they glided off the ship.

• 6 years later...

FOR FUTURE REFEENCE

"Generally, there are no restrictions on baked goods. The U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Animal & Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) has a general list of approved products of which breads, cakes, cookies, and other bakery goods are listed."

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-318?language=en_US

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gadaboutgal said:

FOR FUTURE REFEENCE

"Generally, there are no restrictions on baked goods. The U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Animal & Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) has a general list of approved products of which breads, cakes, cookies, and other bakery goods are listed."

Umm, yes, this was for future reference.  The thread dates back to 2015.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gadaboutgal said:

FOR FUTURE REFEENCE

This thread is from 7 years ago..... 

• Like 2