11 Months Later--Not the Same Cruise we Booked

AZ ParrotHead

Interested in other's opinions as I have put some thought into this topic now that we're sailing in 2 weeks.

This isn't the same cruise experience we booked in early January at the invitation of our friends. Since then, we have watched in amazement as the FDR revolution has taken hold including:

1. No included room service (nearly cxld over that one since we use RS every day on a cruise--opted not to when they made coffee and pastries complimentary.)

2. Increased gratuities--twice...

3. Complete "overhaul" of the dining program. Originally our plan was to eat exclusively at specialties but the increase in costs and a la carte pricing make that much more expensive. (opted for 3 meal specialty dining package instead now)

4. Global increase in fees of 10-30 percent (shows, VIBE, internet etc)....

As a frequent business traveler and world tourist (land and sea) I can't recall another hospitality brand making the number of changes NCL has in the past year. If Marriott tried to all of a sudden remove or change the amenities I've become accustomed to as a premier customer, I'd "jump ship" to another brand.

This is our first NCL cruise. We're elite on RCCL and Celeb and we are giving NCL a try because the price was right at the time of booking and we have good friends who have invited us to join them. Basically we're exactly the kind of customer NCL is trying to attract.

I can't help but have a little sour taste this morning as my wife and I are about to head out to the mall and get some new cruise clothes. I can't recall ever feeling this way 2 weeks before a vacation....

Wondering if others feel a little jerked around too?????

What a well thought out post.

This reflects exactly how we are feeling about NCL. Only difference is that we have been regular cruisers with NCL and have platinum status. We have always enjoyed our annual cruises.

This year, I feel like I have to check CCritic everyday to keep on top,of changes.

By the time we go , I don't know what to expect . This is a very unsettling feeling.

Hope you can enjoy your cruise and look forward to some good memories with your friends.

2. Increased gratuities--twice...

You can still pre-pay at the old rate. Have you done this? Yes, two increases was really ham-fisted of them, but in this particular case, everyone had the rate they were given at the time of booking locked in, so as long as you are OK with pre-paying, there has been no change to your cruise here.

Well, since you're way past the "cancelation" phase....I say go, have a good time, and if this isn't what you expected, jump to another line for your next cruise. Too many choices out there to be dissatisfied! Especially, on a vacation!

This year, I feel like I have to check CCritic everyday to keep on top,of changes. By the time we go , I don't know what to expect . This is a very unsettling feeling.

Hope you can enjoy your cruise and look forward to some good memories with your friends.

This is just how I feel. It seems like every time I log into CC there is a change. This week it's Prime Rib. Not a big deal for me but my dad (also traveling with us) is not gonna like having to pay 14 bucks for something that has been free on every other cruise we've been on.

Every vacation is what you make of it. We'll have a great time regardless because we are with our friends and loved ones.

You can still pre-pay at the old rate. Have you done this? Yes, two increases was really ham-fisted of them, but in this particular case, everyone had the rate they were given at the time of booking locked in, so as long as you are OK with pre-paying, there has been no change to your cruise here.

I chose NOT to prepay because, to me, that violates the concept of gratuities. Plus, we want to make sure our staff gets ALL of their well-deserved renumeration.

Well, since you're way past the "cancelation" phase....I say go, have a good time, and if this isn't what you expected, jump to another line for your next cruise. Too many choices out there to be dissatisfied! Especially, on a vacation!

Yep--that's our thought too. We will make the best out of it. A bad day on a cruise is still better than a good day at work.

I understand what you are saying and how you feel. It took years to talk my husband into going on a cruise. Finally took his first last December. We leave again in a few weeks and so many changes have taken place during that short amount of time. We're still looking forward to going but we're trying to figure out how all these changes are enhancing our cruise experience.

3. Complete "overhaul" of the dining program. Originally our plan was to eat exclusively at specialties but the increase in costs and a la carte pricing make that much more expensive. (opted for 3 meal specialty dining package instead now)

If you would have purchased the dining program for your whole (assuming it is a 7 day cruise) cruise, each meal in a specialty restaurant would net down to $20 including gratuity.

Hoping you enjoy your cruise!

Edited by NLH Arizona

I chose NOT to prepay because, to me, that violates the concept of gratuities. Plus, we want to make sure our staff gets ALL of their well-deserved renumeration.
If I understand your position, you will be removing the automatic gratuities and tipping directly. Is that right? In that case, the increases in the NCL's automatic gratuities don't affect you anyway.

If you would have purchased the dining program for your whole (assuming it is a 7 day cruise) cruise, each meal in a specialty restaurant would net down to $20 including gratuity.

Hoping you enjoy your cruise!

Thanks! We will!

A note: it actually depends on WHEN you purchased the package to determine how it nets out. For example, we were originally planning on buying the package and getting Illusionariam free on the first night. Factor in that value (and others) and the economics change.

If I understand your position, you will be removing the automatic gratuities and tipping directly. Is that right? In that case, the increases in the NCL's automatic gratuities don't affect you anyway.

I read his post as he'd pay the increase so people would get what they deserve.

This is not true due to a glitch in NCL's system. Anyone who has more then 2 people booked in a cabin and got free gratuities as a perk is not able to prepay any of their service charges for the remaining guests. I have called multiple times to add it to 2 different cruises over the last few months and they have yet to fix this "glitch", my feeling now is they have no intention of fixing it so they can get the higher rate onboard.

Nope, you're not alone at all. Booked ours about the same time, but locked in a few things so as long as those packages are honored, we hope to not feel overly impacted. And we will have a great time regardless.

But I agree, all these changes effect the overall way I feel about the trip. And not in a good way, although I'm still beyond excited about it. Some here will badger you about the various issues, but whatever their own take is, and points they try to force on you, the reality is these changes have, or have the potential, to change how you feel about your trip.

For example, yes, I can choose to order for fee items in the MDR, but that will make me feel irritated -- whether I order or not-- just the fact that I have to consider a cost in the MDR is irritating. This affects my perception of the cruise experience from positive to negative -- and I don't vacation to have negative experiences or feelings.

You don't say which ship you will be sailing. We are Diamond with Royal and Elite Plus with Celebrity and just sailed our first NCL in September on Getaway and absolutely LOVED both the ship and the NCL experience. Came home and cancelled a Reflection cruise for one on the Escape.

No sir/ma'am. Not planning on removing the automatic gratuities (DSC). Assuming service is as expected, we will tip the DSC amount plus more (in cash) to those who go above and beyond. We want to ensure that those who work hard to ensure we have a great vacation are taken care of properly.

My "beef" is that to "lock in" a lower DSC it required giving NCL a "free loan" by pre-paying the charges. To me, the DSC should be charged at the amount in the Ts and Cs at time of booking with the option to upcharge to the current rate or tip additional at your discretion.

You don't say which ship you will be sailing. We are Diamond with Royal and Elite Plus with Celebrity and just sailed our first NCL in September on Getaway and absolutely LOVED both the ship and the NCL experience. Came home and cancelled a Reflection cruise for one on the Escape.

On the Getaway on 11/29 and very much looking forward to it. I'm glad you enjoyed your NCL experience. We hope to be blown away as you were.

I feel the same way and we haven't cruised yet either. I booked me ,my mom and sister. I had taken my mom on Princess and she loved it. But I do feel a bit of trepidation with all the changes which have happened. We'll make the best of it and see what happens.

This is not true due to a glitch in NCL's system. Anyone who has more then 2 people booked in a cabin and got free gratuities as a perk is not able to prepay any of their service charges for the remaining guests. I have called multiple times to add it to 2 different cruises over the last few months and they have yet to fix this "glitch", my feeling now is they have no intention of fixing it so they can get the higher rate onboard.

We had the website glitch show for our cruise up until a week ago. Now we can add the gratuities--at the current rate.

I'm a technology/software professional so I can appreciate why they opted not to re-code the website for the multiple changes. But it was unprofessional on NCL's part to add a note to the page indicating that the gratuities could be paid by calling.

Thanks! We will!

A note: it actually depends on WHEN you purchased the package to determine how it nets out. For example, we were originally planning on buying the package and getting Illusionariam free on the first night. Factor in that value (and others) and the economics change.

I'm basing my figures on purchasing it on line, which is the less expensive option. I believe it is $20 more, if you purchase it on board the ship, which would net a meal down to $23 and some change.

I'm Elite on Celebrity and also love NCL. I'm on NCL in December and Celebrity in January - love both lines.

Yes, this stuff is why I currently have no NCL cruises booked and no plans to. I was wavering right up to PIF on my December cruise and considering going on the GA again instead of X, but the customer-unfriendly changes happen on a weekly basis now. I'm out until they settle down and decide to stabilize how much cruise I can buy for my dollar.

Edited by perditax

We had the website glitch show for our cruise up until a week ago. Now we can add the gratuities--at the current rate.

I'm a technology/software professional so I can appreciate why they opted not to re-code the website for the multiple changes. But it was unprofessional on NCL's part to add a note to the page indicating that the gratuities could be paid by calling.

Thanks for the heads up I will call tomorrow

For example, yes, I can choose to order for fee items in the MDR, but that will make me feel irritated -- whether I order or not-- just the fact that I have to consider a cost in the MDR is irritating. This affects my perception of the cruise experience from positive to negative -- and I don't vacation to have negative experiences or feelings.

Exactly how I feel! I know once I'm on the ship, I'm going to have a great time. But the trip I thought I booked in January is not the trip I'll ultimately go on. I won't order room service and I'm not planning on eating in any specialty restaurants. I'm definitely not eating in any of the a la carte restaurants. If I wanted that experience, I'd choose a regular land vacation. For me, there is a "freeing mentality" that is part of going on the cruise and not having to budget because so much is already included.

No sir/ma'am. Not planning on removing the automatic gratuities (DSC). Assuming service is as expected, we will tip the DSC amount plus more (in cash) to those who go above and beyond. We want to ensure that those who work hard to ensure we have a great vacation are taken care of properly.

My "beef" is that to "lock in" a lower DSC it required giving NCL a "free loan" by pre-paying the charges. To me, the DSC should be charged at the amount in the Ts and Cs at time of booking with the option to upcharge to the current rate or tip additional at your discretion.

Thank you for the clarification. I understood your previous comment about "violates the concept of gratuities" to mean that gratuities should be given after the service is provided, and that makes sense to me. The argument about giving NCL a free loan is less compelling to me because you could still pre-pay now, or even closer to your saildate, so you're only paying one or two weeks early. By contrast, you already give NCL a much bigger free loan when you pay off your cruise 3 months before sailing.

Anyway, I am not trying to persuade you to pre-pay, especially since you are actually quite happy to pay the crew the higher amount, and then some. But now I understand better why you mentioned the gratuities in your first message. Many people disliked the increases simply because it made their cruises cost more, but you don't appear concerned about that. It degrades your cruise experience in more intangible ways because of the way the changes were announced, the way they were implemented, etc. But maybe from another point of view, since it benefits the crew, you are actually in support of the increases, would you agree with that?

Edited by hawkeyetlse