Magical cure for ships cough

Victoria 82

10 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

When we first enter the cabin we spray everywhere, with dettol.

Then every night before we go to bed;

We hang a very wet towel from the air con box on a wire coat hanger and lay another on the floor to catch the drips, also we put water in the ice bucket

May seem extreme to some, however after suffering very seriously on our very first cruise, we needed to find a solution that worked for us.

This seems to do the trick.

Good heavens I have difficulty remembering to take my meds at bedtime, so trying to remember all that would be enough to give me a cough inducing headache.:classic_ohmy::classic_rolleyes:

• Haha 1

After our cruise in June I had the dreaded cough. In August I had to visit the doctor for a totally unrelated reason and she noticed that I was coughing, when I told her that I had had it since I got home from a cruise 7 weeks earlier and said the best cure was prevention by not going on cruises.  I have ignored her advice and been on or since and currently have 5 booked lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Good heavens I have difficulty remembering to take my meds at bedtime, so trying to remember all that would be enough to give me a cough inducing headache.:classic_ohmy::classic_rolleyes:

Suggest you get someone to read this, and write it down, and then stick it on your mirror as a reminder for you.

Am concerned, that when I get older, I may experience  your difficulties.💊💊💊😚

We’re trying probiotics, hoping to boost our immune systems.

Started 1 week before the festive period and the arrival of grandchildren, bearing who-knows-what bugs from elsewhere in the country.  Appear to have escaped colds etc from them.  Are hoping taking the probiotics well into our long New Year cruise will keep those bugs at bay as well

Watch this space ...

Hmmm, I thought probiotics just provided good gut bacteria, can't see what it would do for the cold virus?

Also, people keep mentioning "turning down the aircon", as far as I am aware you can't turn it down, you can only change the temp from cold to warm?

There are lots & lots of articles & learned papers on gut biome and aspects of health.  Here’s a fairly comprehensive one

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/gut-microbiome-and-health

I don’t think probiotics will harm us and hopefully might protect us.  

Also Vick’s First Defence, snuffled up the nose at first hint of sniff or tight throat.  Again, don’t think it will harm; may do good

I have found taking Echinacea helps to either prevent a cold or lessen the symptoms should one succumb. I take them for about 10 days before a holiday or an occasion i need to be fit for. Again i don't believe it will do any harm in taking them for a short time. 

We remove ourselves from the area if anyone around us is coughing (read spewing germs everywhere) and we wash our hands, wash our hands, wash our hands.

We also re-sanitize our hands after touching any common-use utensils/surfaces in the buffet or MDR.  We also do not use any pre-set utensils or glassware in the buffet seating areas unless the silverware is rolled up into a napkin burrito.  We have observed buffet staff "clean" tables with a used napkin and the set the table with upside down glassware and coffee cups, and then proceed to layout the silverware directly on the "clean" table.

Overkill?  Perhaps, but I have been trained in food service sanitation practices and with just under 50 cruises in our log we have never had the ship's cough or noro. 

We got this tip from a very frequent cruiser and it worked for us. Echinacea by Natures Bounty 400  MG.  I take two in the morning and two at night and start about 2 weeks before the cruise.  It stimulates you immune system.   I once has a cough for about a month, she told me about Echinacea, and I started taking it.  The cough went away,  I stopped taking it, the cough came back,  so I took it for a few weeks and no cough.  It worked great for me and my wife.

Regards,

Gary

• 1 year later...
On 1/5/2020 at 5:30 PM, Old75boat said:

We got this tip from a very frequent cruiser and it worked for us. Echinacea by Natures Bounty 400  MG.  I take two in the morning and two at night and start about 2 weeks before the cruise.  It stimulates you immune system.   I once has a cough for about a month, she told me about Echinacea, and I started taking it.  The cough went away,  I stopped taking it, the cough came back,  so I took it for a few weeks and no cough.  It worked great for me and my wife.

Regards,

Gary

I totally agree. I always take Echinacea for 2 weeks before the cruise and also during cruise. It certainly does no harm and I have found it beneficial too.

53 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Crikey Angel !

Re-opening a 19 month old thread must be some sort of record!

Oops. So sorry about that everyone…🙄

Didn’t spot the date. I was just going down all my unread posts and got a bit carried away……..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Didn’t spot the date. I was just going down all my unread posts and got a bit carried away……..

It has made me realise that JeanLyon hasn't posted for a while.Hope she is ok.(I saw that she had previously posted on this thread)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ann141 said:

It has made me realise that JeanLyon hasn't posted for a while.Hope she is ok.(I saw that she had previously posted on this thread)

Hopefully she is ok, but just very busy sorting out the yachts !

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Angel57 said:

It’s a good tip though Angel one that I shall remember now , any type of Echinacea?