Getting Nervous -Escape

travelinmoma

I'm reading the not so wonderful reviews about the Escape, and it's making me second guess our choice. We are not picky about food, so we aren't doing any specialty dining (plus we have a kid with us). I mainly eat just to keep from getting dizzy, but I want to be able to eat without having to wait over an hour! It sounds like the que for the MDR is ridiculous. Can you make a reservation or is this an ongoing problem with "freestyle dining". I'm also wondering about eating at other places such as Margaritaville or O'Sheehans. Do you have to wait in line forever to get a table?

The reviews that you have seen will almost all be from the short one or two day cruises and these have hardly anything in common with normal cruises.

The Escape has been on the transatlantic, and will continue to be, very similar to other ships. If you go to the MDR at popular times you may have a short wait.

I'm the 4 days I was onboard during the short trips I saw a number of queues. On the transatlantic, I never queued once for any food and never saw a queue.

Edit to say, except for Margaritaville, where there were queues of 30-60 minutes, but I imagine that was much to do with the weather being bad for the first 7 days so lots of people were fitting that restaurant into the last couple of days.

No queues at all in o'Sheehans and I used it a lot.

Edited by KeithJenner

I'm reading the not so wonderful reviews about the Escape, and it's making me second guess our choice. We are not picky about food, so we aren't doing any specialty dining (plus we have a kid with us).

The Escape also lets you make reservations in (at least the Taste) MDR online prior to your cruise.

I'm reading the not so wonderful reviews about the Escape, and it's making me second guess our choice. We are not picky about food, so we aren't doing any specialty dining (plus we have a kid with us). I mainly eat just to keep from getting dizzy, but I want to be able to eat without having to wait over an hour! It sounds like the que for the MDR is ridiculous. Can you make a reservation or is this an ongoing problem with "freestyle dining". I'm also wondering about eating at other places such as Margaritaville or O'Sheehans. Do you have to wait in line forever to get a table?

Being they just finished their first real cruise you can't pay any attention to what you are reading right now, plus when a ship in brand new there are always glitches. We took the Jewel on her first cruise across from England. It was ok, but yes, some waits were an issue. You may also want to time when you plan on eating in the MDRs. When they first open and from about 7 to 8 is not the best time. Before getting upset and letting all this keep you from expecting a great vacation wait until some reviews come in after the new crew can iron out the wrinkles. I am sure you will have a great cruise.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Don't worry about it. For every bad review written their are a hundred which have not been written.

We did the two nighter and ate in the Manhattan both nights. If there is a queue book a reservation and ask for a buzzer. Go to the bar and when your table is ready the buzzer vibrates and flashes to let you know your table is ready.

We had no problems at all and thoroughly enjoyed it. Ate one night at 7pm and the other at 7:30pm.

I did the 3 night from hamburg, and the only wait we had was on the last night that was bookable as a one night cruise. As expected, it was far busier in the main dining room and there were a lot of party type cruisers that were taking their time with dinner.

We used the taste dining room on the first night with no wait at 8pm. And we used teppenyaki on the second.

Service was very good, although it seemed some servers were not quite used to the ship yet. But we make allowances on the first few journeys for this sort of thing.

All of the food was very good, better than carnival and royal Caribbean combined! (Well, those are the only other lines I've used yet so.....)

You've not made any mistakes with booking this ship. She is beautiful and large and I'm sure your family will have a blast because your cruise is what you make of it, and I'm sure you'll make the most of the time you spend with your little one and your partner.

I have been reading the posts here on escape and haven't seen hardly anything negative at all..What were the complaints you saw that are making you nervous?

The reviews section of CC had some people taking the taster cruises up front as full cruises. Also some inexperienced cruisers talking complete nonsense in their reviews, blaming NCL for "weak US coffee creamers" whilst the brand was German etc.

ES is a beautiful ship, Keith's post says it all. I was onboard for the two nighter and can fully agree.

To others; start reading reviews and believing general scores after a month or two for a truly justified impression of any ship. :)

We were on the TA were there some problems? Sure there was but overall the crew was very friendly, upbeat and happy, surely a reflection from the Hotel Director Shawn W.!! The only wAit we had in the 10 days was for Margaritas Ville and that was because we had so many days that were too cold to eat out.

Go with a positive mind and you will have a great time. We also liked the changes that were made from the Breakaway and Getaway!!

Edited by frangig