It's official! Formal nights gone, evening chic in! (3 Threads Merged)

Wj420

Not true at all:

Why couldn't that party dine together?

Part of the issue must be a blame placed squarely on shoulders of the company. When they removed the special touches of a formal night they just made it another night in the MDR with expanded photo opportunities. Nothing different, so why bother

I'll post the $300 ones folks wear to work. :)

uh, oh. If New Yorkers are paying $300 for flip flops, they have confirmed that Barnum was right. :eek:

BTW what will the effect be on the photo gallery? I have no need to pay $25 on pictures of DW and me dressed as we do most every day of the week.

Edited by BosoxI

You do see the completely irony in your post?:

1. First, you're are work, being paid by a corporation (presumably to be productive) and posting on cruise critic. Maybe it's the jeans that's making you less formal, and bend the rules, but my guess is, this is outside the scope of your productivity.

2. You tell someone they can wear what they want, then tease them. He may be laughing with you, but if it was me, it would sting a little on the inside as you make ME feel out of place. THAT is precisely why it would be harder to "dress to the nines" if I wanted to, and everyone else wasn't or at least, wasn't supposed to. It's not ALL good for everyone.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Hey, Jenna, right on !!!

I see many posts stating no problem you can still wear a Tux so nothings changed. That's not correct because a formal night is special because of the overal ambiance which comes from the group dressing up. Half a dozen men in a Tux with the rest in trousers and a shirt will completely change this special night for many of us. I also don't buy this argument of its our money we can dress how we want. Well some of the most special nights we have had on land have been at places with a dress code. So again I guess if you have the money they should also drop, their standards because " you have a right".

So your enjoyment of your vacation is dependent on others, right?

What year or ship was this from? What is the Kings Court and which ship is/was that on? I think it has been a long time since Jackets were required.

December 2000, with Celebrity, on the Horizon, was our first sailing I can remember where I didn't need a jacket every dinner to be seated.

In other words, Celebrity are treating their passengers like adults and allowing each person to decide for themselves what "evening chic" means. Diversity will be the result.

I know what you mean. Celebrity is the same as Carnival & Norwegian.

December 2000, with Celebrity, on the Horizon, was our first sailing I can remember where I didn't need a jacket every dinner to be seated.

Uh. I have been cruising on Celebrity since December 1997 and jackets were not required at every dinner. Only the two formal evenings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

You do see the completely irony in your post?:

1. First, you're are work, being paid by a corporation (presumably to be productive) and posting on cruise critic. Maybe it's the jeans that's making you less formal, and bend the rules, but my guess is, this is outside the scope of your productivity.

2. You tell someone they can wear what they want, then tease them. He may be laughing with you, but if it was me, it would sting a little on the inside as you make ME feel out of place. THAT is precisely why it would be harder to "dress to the nines" if I wanted to, and everyone else wasn't or at least, wasn't supposed to. It's not ALL good for everyone.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I have never understood this whole business of making fun of other people. Or "teasing" as some like to call it when they don't want to admit their cruelty. But I suspect that most Celebrity passengers, based on the small sample I have met, are simply too civil to make fun of other passengers because of their dress. In fact I would hope that most don't even notice or care about how others are dressed.

I must admit that I do notice. I admire those who dress to the nines, and I feel for those who look like they wandered into the wrong party. My parents taught me to dress "properly", my superiors admonished me if I did not enforce the standards among the members of my team and yes I do still notice. I noticed on my last cruise that we sat with two other couples. On Formal night the ladies all looked wonderful in their gowns. I wore my dark suit and best silk tie, one gentleman wore a finely tailored tux and the other wore a tie, no jacket. Quite a range of dress. I didn't care, I don't care. I can't imagine sharing a table with finer people than those four.

Jenna, I totally get your point about there being something special doing dress up (my words, not yours) in a venue where all the others are doing the same. I always enjoyed our annual black-tie charity ball in part for that reason. But in my brief acquaintance with cruising I haven't seen such a venue. I say do your thing, those who don't emulate you are likely to admire, and possibly envy you just a bit.

I see many posts stating no problem you can still wear a Tux so nothings changed. That's not correct because a formal night is special because of the overal ambiance which comes from the group dressing up. Half a dozen men in a Tux with the rest in trousers and a shirt will completely change this special night for many of us. I also don't buy this argument of its our money we can dress how we want. Well some of the most special nights we have had on land have been at places with a dress code. So again I guess if you have the money they should also drop, their standards because " you have a right".

Back in the 60's there was a rebellion against "standards". Standards of dress, standards of conduct. Not totally a bad thing to have the occasional rebellion, but a civilization does not function well if there is a descent into anarchy whereby everyone does whatever they please. Unfortunately many of the 60's rebels turned into parents who taught their children how entitled they are. And that sense of entitlement flows through all of their behavior.

End of philosophical musings; back to your regular programs...

Stan

So your enjoyment of your vacation is dependent on others, right?

To some extent people do affect my enjoyment on land and at sea. Are you so oblivious to your surroundings that you don't notice annoying behavior? Lucky you. We've had people set up portable speakers on their balcony, booming bad "music", for example. How about loud or even profane language at the next table. We've had to move on more than one occasion. There're more but I hope you get my drift

To some extent people do affect my enjoyment on land and at sea. Are you so oblivious to your surroundings that you don't notice annoying behavior? Lucky you. We've had people set up portable speakers on their balcony, booming bad "music", for example. How about loud or even profane language at the next table. We've had to move on more than one occasion. There're more but I hope you get my drift

Yes, another example is second hand smoke. But what people wear does not affect me. The only passengers that stand out since I started cruising was a nice looking middle aged lady who wore a Captains hat the whole cruise about 10 years ago including every night in the MDR, which seemed odd, and go figure a nice looking young lady this year who wore a Captains hat the whole cruise including every night in the MDR, which seemed odd. I don't really recall what passengers were wearing.

Edited by Charles4515

Then I guess we have been the luckiest family to sail on 7 different lines in history. But oblivious, naw. There is annoying behavior at the grocery, but this thread is about 'how people dress', nothing but. So I have to agree at this time, I notice my surroundings here, and am aware of the annoying behavior. The joy that comes from being with my family, will not be compromised, by the Kings new clothes, or lack of.

image.jpg.1833f7a1403d3b222629cdf499efbc5c.jpg

Edited by wallie5446

...you actually still got "Guest Vacation Documents" in the postal mail.

Well, I pulled out one that I saved from a Galaxy cruise in 2004. Back then, there were 3 different types of "Evening Wear" on Celebrity Cruises.

Here's how the page reads:

Evening Wear

Celebrity Cruises elegant, formal evenings include the Captain's Welcome Cocktail Party and Dinner, the Captain's Farewell Dinner and a third "formal" night for those cruises sailing more than seven nights. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate attire each evening.

On Casual Nights, choose from the following:

•Pantsuit or sporty outfit for women

•Sport shirt and slacks for men

On Informal Nights, the following is proper wear:

•Dress or pants outfit for women

•Jacket, shirt and tie for men

On Formal Nights, you'll want to be seen in:

•Cocktail dresses or long gowns

•Dinner jackets and dark suits

•Tuxedo

How Times Have Changed!

Edited by ecslady

DH and I are going on a Celebrity cruise in April to celebrate our 30th anniversary. We haven't cruised in 10 years. I've been so excited to wear a long gown! Well, I am still planning to on the night we celebrate our special occasion. I'm just not telling DH about the change in dress code [emoji6].

Man I am overstuffed and ready to explode from eating all this popcorn since sitting back and watching this thread. :)

To each their own, but I will chalk one up for glad they took it away, it was a matter of time.

If you want to go formal on that night or dress down, so be it. I could care less on what you wear as long as you are presentable.

Uh. I have been cruising on Celebrity since December 1997 and jackets were not required at every dinner. Only the two formal evenings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My first cruise 1986 only 2 formal nights on Carnival every other night was casual and shorts and tanks were not allowed in the MDR.

Princess 1991, 7 day cruise 2 formal nights 2 semi formal nights. This was the only cruise that I brought a tux with me. It was our Honeymoon and my wife dressed in her wedding gown which was not a traditional wedding gown at that time.

Every other Princess cruise after that we wore a suit and cocktail dress.

2013 on the Summit I wore a suit but ditched the tie and my wife wore a Maxi dress.

2016 is going to be special because I don't have to pretend. I won't wear jeans. I think only the 30 and 40 somethings who are in better physical shape can pull off the new styles. My kids say I wear Dad jeans so I'm thinking they're not Chic. I look better in black or gray slacks with a long sleeve shirt so that's how I'm going to roll and with my shape I do mean roll.

My first cruise 1986 only 2 formal nights on Carnival every other night was casual and shorts and tanks were not allowed in the MDR.

Princess 1991, 7 day cruise 2 formal nights 2 semi formal nights. This was the only cruise that I brought a tux with me. It was our Honeymoon and my wife dressed in her wedding gown which was not a traditional wedding gown at that time.

Every other Princess cruise after that we wore a suit and cocktail dress.

2013 on the Summit I wore a suit but ditched the tie and my wife wore a Maxi dress.

2016 is going to be special because I don't have to pretend. I won't wear jeans. I think only the 30 and 40 somethings who are in better physical shape can pull off the new styles. My kids say I wear Dad jeans so I'm thinking they're not Chic. I look better in black or gray slacks with a long sleeve shirt so that's how I'm going to roll and with my shape I do mean roll.

I forgot about the semiformal and informal nights some cruise lines had 20 years ago. But after my first cruise when I saw most didn't wear a jacket on those nights I never did again. Except on Cunard. As far as jeans, I wear them on the airplane, and during the day on Alaska and Europe cruises but I don't usually wear them in the evening on cruises any evening. I read though that dad jeans were back in style.

I'm fine with the new dress code. I do enjoy dressing up, and probably still will, but it's nice to know I don't have to if I feel like wearing a nice sundress and pretty flat sandals.

But the reference to 'designer jeans' for men cracks me up - sounds so '80's. What are designer jeans now? These, for $675? :D I guess Versace jeans would qualify, for $695.

What a blunder, JMHO

Totally agree. Celebrity is an elegant line and we are just "heading down the path of mediocrity" if I can steal this quote from someone that posted on the article.

I will still dress up in a gown or beautiful dress.

If you want Evening Chic, go to Las Vegas (which I love too and do dress that way there!).

I forgot about the semiformal and informal nights some cruise lines had 20 years ago. But after my first cruise when I saw most didn't wear a jacket on those nights I never did again. Except on Cunard. As far as jeans, I wear them on the airplane, and during the day on Alaska and Europe cruises but I don't usually wear them in the evening on cruises any evening. I read though that dad jeans were back in style.

Didn't Celebrity have the three codes until about 5 years ago? We first looked at a cruise then but we're put off by the three dress codes.

I think Cunard and P&O are the only ones that maintain 3 dress codes (ship wide) now and even P&O has dropped that to two on some of its ships.

Didn't Celebrity have the three codes until about 5 years ago? We first looked at a cruise then but we're put off by the three dress codes.

I think Cunard and P&O are the only ones that maintain 3 dress codes (ship wide) now and even P&O has dropped that to two on some of its ships.

I think the Informal evening was dropped in 2007 or 2008 on Celebrity. But long before that it was not followed by the majority as intended. It was interpreted in practice as informal with a lower case, instead of being a notch below Formal as it was intended.