bartering with locals in labadee

bluereef

Does anyone know if it possible to barter with locals in Labadee markets?

I've heard others mention it but I think they meant "haggle" or "bargain" and not the true sense of barter where you pay by trading items instead of only money.

I ask because when we were in Africa, many poor local merchants were eager for our American goods in exchange for their crafts--one even begged me for the socks off my feet as part of the purchase price. Another wanted my shirt. Since Haiti is so poor, I figured the locals might appreciate an exchange of hard or expensive-to-procure goods like school supplies, cookware utensils, shirts, candy, etc that would be relatively easy for us to bring on board the ship.

Is it possible to do a true barter of that sort with the locals where you give a few of your own items to buy their goods at greatly reduced prices?

We have taken suitcases of soap/washcloths etc and handed out to the craft vendors as a gift. They were very appreciative. However, there are so many vendors. I think it would be difficult to take a specific item and then figure out which vendor would have something that you wanted that also could use that item. I think they just prefer cash to buy what they need themselves.

We have gotten to know people on several islands and will ask them specifically what we can bring them on our next visit. I think it is wonderful of you to consider taking items for them - I just think it would be difficult to execute.

Also, please know that the vendors are desperate to make money to feed their families. This can be intimidating to tourists. Please support them by purchasing something - try not to let their desperation discourage you from shopping. I have heard many people say that they are really bothered by the aggressiveness and just avoid the shopping altogether. Please know that they are not being rude - just desperate to earn money for their family. Who knows how aggressive I may be if I knew my kid's dinner depended on it???

We have gotten to know people on several islands and will ask them specifically what we can bring them on our next visit.

What did they say?

I know a great deal on Amazon to get bulk toothbrushes for $16/gross including shipping. Do you think they would appreciate that?

Barter away...they expect it...and will barter with you! They are VERY aggressive! The folks in the RCI private beach venues are probably not going to go for "exchanges" of your socks or shoes....they are there for cash. They do this EVERY DAY.

Edited by cb at sea

Barter away...they expect it...and will barter with you! They are VERY aggressive!

When you say "barter away", do you mean a) haggle on price, or b) that I bring things to trade instead of cash?

Excuse my nit-pickiness, but "barter" does NOT mean negotiate the price up or down. The definition of barter is literally "exchange (goods or services) for other goods or services without using money."

So many people are using the term "barter" incorrectly that it confuses and clouds the truth of the matter. It's difficult to find a post where the term is being using correctly. I appreciate your contribution to this discussion but I'm looking for insight on trading things for purchase--not arguing the price down.

Thanks!

We have taken and given away some religous items, like ring rosaries and mini prayer cards, and they gratefully took them, one lady remembered me a year later and gave us a welcome back.

As far as negotiating price, they usually start high on their un-marked items and eventually get what they want anyway.

The people on the hill are more aggressive, the people in the building are tame.

Enjoy Labadee we do.