Husband blames cruise line for man's fall from RCI Oasis of the Seas Nov. 5this

rojjodc

Bernardo Albaz falls off Oasis of the Seas, but cruise line claims he jumped

The husband of a man who fell off a Royal Caribbean cruise ship near the Bahamas claims cruise line employees taunted them for being gay, causing the 35-year-old to fall overboard.

http://www.local10.com/news/search-for-missing-cruise-ship-passenger-suspended/36317860

But here's another account:

BSO says passenger jumped off cruise ship after fight with partner

Detectives say man can be heard saying in video that he planned to jump overboard...

http://www.local10.com/news/bso-says-passenger-jumped-off-cruise-ship-after-fight/36344530

I don't know what happened and none of us do in the events leading up to the actual video that we see. One thing I do know for certain is why the ship was not slowing down. If security was already in the cabin when he went overboard, they should have radioed the bridge for an all stop order. Yes the ship doesn't stop on a dime and I know that but it seems a glowingly obvious thing was ignored. How exactly was the guy going to get pulled back onto the ship from the position he was in?

As for being taunted on the ship or a fight breaking out between the partners, I don't know. However, it seems like the security had some serious mis-steps either way on this one. :(

I don't know what happened and none of us do in the events leading up to the actual video that we see. One thing I do know for certain is why the ship was not slowing down. If security was already in the cabin when he went overboard, they should have radioed the bridge for an all stop order. Yes the ship doesn't stop on a dime and I know that but it seems a glowingly obvious thing was ignored. How exactly was the guy going to get pulled back onto the ship from the position he was in?

As for being taunted on the ship or a fight breaking out between the partners, I don't know. However, it seems like the security had some serious mis-steps either way on this one. :(

Before I make a substantive comment, let me just say how sorry I am that someone lost his life here, and extend my prayers and sympathies to his loved ones.

Now, as for the whole "ship slowing down" thing, this was discussed at great length on the RCI board, with posters who are experts about ships (as in, Navy and merchant marine types) explaining why we can't tell from that video snippet exactly what the ship was doing. It takes a mile to stop a ship the size of Oasis.

I totally agree that no one knows what happened here, and we should not be engaging in speculation, including about what security did or didn't do.

I've read on another thread that the lawyer for the widower says the man fell off the balcony. The one thing that experienced cruisers know is that you don't just "fall off" a balcony.

Again, I am very, very sorry this man lost his life, and I feel awful for his family and friends.

Edited by Turtles06

We are sorry about the man's death but jumping to a quick conclusion on the ship's security fault is just like what the media did today. Just look at the information that released:

1) The partner was in a domestic dispute that causes other passengers to complaint to the ship.

2) The ship sends security to the guest room and that's why there were conversations between the deceased and the security in the guest room.

3) The family lawyer claim "anti-gay" remarks are the cause of the death.

We don't know if any drugs or alhocol were involved between the partners' domestic dispute. Any law enforcement personnel can tell you that domestic dispute can be very dangerous and very hard to handle. We have been to many cruises including Royal Carribean but have never experienced any "Anti-gay" remark. This is a tragic case and anyone's death is very sad. However, We are not buying into the family's lawyer claim that "Anti-gay" remark is the cause of the man's death.

Bernardo Albaz falls off Oasis of the Seas, but cruise line claims he jumped

The husband of a man who fell off a Royal Caribbean cruise ship near the Bahamas claims cruise line employees taunted them for being gay, causing the 35-year-old to fall overboard.

http://www.local10.com/news/search-for-missing-cruise-ship-passenger-suspended/36317860

But here's another account:

BSO says passenger jumped off cruise ship after fight with partner

Detectives say man can be heard saying in video that he planned to jump overboard...

http://www.local10.com/news/bso-says-passenger-jumped-off-cruise-ship-after-fight/36344530

He seems oddly calm for having just lost his husband a few days ago. This story is just so bizarre. There's a lot here that just doesn't add up. It's so sad, no matter what, but still, I can't help but feel something is amiss with this guy's story. I'll definitely be watching closely as this unfolds further.

The dead man was drunk and being dramatic never thinking he'd die. The husband is a smug SOB who would never admit to any wrong-doing. The lawyer is scum. He'll probably be awarded $5 million to shut up and go away and it's the cruise line and the rest of us who will have to come up with that money.

It was explained over and over in the other threads that a giant cruise ship cannot stop on a dime. Not sure why people can't get past that point.

Interesting (and sleazy) new twist from the lawyer.

Unfortunately I cannot help but feel the man was emotionally/mentally unwell.

Most investigations relating to the sudden death of a person regard the chief suspect as the partner of the deceased. The man who finds himself tragically clinging to the life boat davit has got there somehow. Everybody is focusing on the fall from that place. My question is; how did he get to be on the lifeboat? Did he fall or was he pushed off his balcony by someone?

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Most investigations relating to the sudden death of a person regard the chief suspect as the partner of the deceased. The man who finds himself tragically clinging to the life boat davit has got there somehow. Everybody is focusing on the fall from that place. My question is; how did he get to be on the lifeboat? Did he fall or was he pushed off his balcony by someone?

Regards John

Probably a good idea to read the official sheriffs report. There is a video of him running to the balcony by himself.

A lawyer can always find some new thories that benefits his case. As I mentioned in my last comment. We have been to many cruises and sometimes saw couples (gay and straight) argued on the ship, but they eventually sort out themselves without affecting the vacations of other passengers. I believe the responsibility of the death lies on the couples. The whole story of "Anti-gay" remark is created by the lawyers and the survived husband to get money from the cruise line.

We are sorry about the man's death but jumping to a quick conclusion on the ship's security fault is just like what the media did today. Just look at the information that released:

1) The partner was in a domestic dispute that causes other passengers to complaint to the ship.

2) The ship sends security to the guest room and that's why there were conversations between the deceased and the security in the guest room.

3) The family lawyer claim "anti-gay" remarks are the cause of the death.

We don't know if any drugs or alhocol were involved between the partners' domestic dispute. Any law enforcement personnel can tell you that domestic dispute can be very dangerous and very hard to handle. We have been to many cruises including Royal Carribean but have never experienced any "Anti-gay" remark. This is a tragic case and anyone's death is very sad. However, We are not buying into the family's lawyer claim that "Anti-gay" remark is the cause of the man's death.

I absolutely concur with your thoughts here, RCI is a very friendly ship overall. Although I do not like the size of their ships, I have sailed them without any incident with staff, passengers is a whole different issue! LOL

Now, if there was a problem with staff, you go directly to Customer Service, Hotel Director or ask to speak with someone in authority to air the grievance, not be out on your balcony protesting your 'treatment' onboard.

If, in fact, that is the case, taunting by staff caused the passenger to jump over-board, this leads me to believe there was an emotional issue before boarding and they should have never taken the cruise if that was the case.

IMO...

bon voyage

It's a slow morning, so I'll post here before the thread goes poof.

Some of the video shows the Security officer radioing the bridge immediately that there was a man overboard. CC members who were on the ship at the time have posted, on the original thread on the RCI forum (the only thread still there, but locked), that the ship had slowed. I challenge anyone to look at that video clip and tell me how fast the ship was going, whether 18 knots or 6 knots, I sure can't tell, and I've been on ships for 40 years.

In response to the poster whose vitriol will get him banned shortly, you claim the crew is Jamaican. While there is almost universally a Jamaican contingent on every cruise ship, the entire crew, nor even a major percentage, is from one country. Further, there has been on every cruise ship I've worked or sailed on, a gay community in the crew, and sometimes a substantial community. In the enclosed environment of a cruise ship crew, anyone who cannot tolerate a different lifestyle, religion, or ethnic background will either quickly leave or be forced out for the harmony of the crew.

Sad to see that your outlook on life is so distorted that you will jump on this lawyer's attempts to spin this as anti-gay, and take it to extremes.

I always find it interesting when people demand tolerance from others but are incredibly intolerant themselves.

RCI and their crew didn't murder anybody. This man chose to jump off the balcony. No one made him jump, no one forced him over the side. I don't know if anyone said anything insulting to him or not, but if being insulted (which happens to ALL of us at times, no matter what our sexual orientation) is enough to cause someone to commit suicide, that someone has some pretty serious issues.

Edited by BeagleOne

What I want to know is why did the guys sit and set there phone to record in there cabin, while they waited for the security to come because of complaints from other guests to there ongoing argument. ? ?

What it does show is the guards telling the partner he cannot stay in the room as he was causing the trouble, and then the victim runs passed the guard and exits onto the balcony , both guards are still in the room and the partner is putting on the drama cause he was being asked to leave.

It's only then they find out the man jumped over the rails and the call went out for man over boards.

As soon as that happened the partner is straight onto his own phone to someone to get the papers and a lawyer , very strange behaviour I'd say, he never even went to see where the guy had gone too. It all looks so pre-arranged and set up.

Is this a sting that's gone wrong ??

For those who keep asking why the ship never slowed in the three minutes he was hanging there, as soon as the call went out the ship would be slowing but at the speed and and size of it, in 3minutes you would not see a difference for many many minutes.

Taunted by the crew for being gay?!?!?!?!? On RCI?!?!?!?!?! I doubt it!!!!!!! There's a big piece of the story that's not being shared. And as far a ship being able to stop on a dime, if that were the case the Titanic would never have hit the iceberg and the Stockholm never would have plowed into the Andrea Doria!

Edited by donnatello