Never Cruised Before - Celebrating 60th Birthday on Carnival Miracle

win95gal

As the title to the post says, I'm celebrating my 60th birthday on Carnival Miracle Feb. 13-20, 2016 - Mexico Riviera Cruise. I have always dreamed of going on a cruise, and my late husband and I purchased this cruise over a year ago! Sadly, he won't be with me, but I know he would want me to go, and therefore I am going to try it! I have a suite and I know a few things about packing and so on, but I still have questions like: "Is the water safe to drink that comes out of faucets on the ship?" You hear about the Norovirus or other stomach-related illnesses and I didn't know if I need to bring water purification tablets with me or what. Is there a way to connect with others going on that same cruise so that I don't have to feel so alone? Anyone from home that I could even perceive of as a travel companion is a wimp about cruising, therefore I am travelling solo at this point. Any advice anyone can give to a new cruiser in my age-group would be greatly appreciated. Thank you - Kathryn M.

Kathryn, welcome to Cruise Critic.

I am very sorry about the loss of your husband. It is nice that you will go on this cruise.

The water on the ship that is served in the restaurants and other venues around the ship is very safe to drink.

The issues that you hear about Norovirus do occur from time to time but are caused from other issues including passengers/crew getting the virus from eating off the ship or being in contact with others off the ship and then spreading it to others.

I highly recommend washing your hands more often on the ship and even more thoroughly than one might wash.

I would also recommend visiting the roll call for your cruise. This is where others who are on your cruise from Cruise Critic post. This link will take you there.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/carnival-miracle-february-13-2016/

I would repost most of what you said on this roll call. Often people from the roll call will get together on the ship and it gives you a nice sense that you know some people before you board the ship.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise.

Keith

Sorry about the loss of your husband.

The water on the ships is better than what we have at home.

Noro virus isn't just on the ships. It has happened in schools, nursing homes, hospitals, etc. Just wash your hand thoroughly and often.

You may also want to read about Solo cruising at this link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373

Have a great 60th birthday!!

Edited by Krazy Kruizers

Hi Kathryn,

Enjoy the cruise. Please note the water on the ship is safe to ingest but don't drink the water in Mexico. Only drink bottled or canned soda. Nothing with ice. Take water with you when you leave the ship. You can fill a water bottle or purchase water.

Have a great trip.

Kathryn, just another welcome to Cruise Critic.:)

Also, sorry about the loss of your husband. The two links that others posted will be of great value to you, especially the one for your roll call. There's a wealth of information on many of the boards so please don't hesitate to ask any other questions. Just a friendly warning but there are some posters that can be rude but PLEASE ignore them, MOST are very helpful and are more than happy to answer your questions.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

The water is fine...the food, drinks and ice are made with the same water in your bathroom sink. It will never "run cold" tho, so use ice!!! Noro isn't a ship's illness...it's rampant in schools, and nursing homes...they just don't have to report it, like cruise ships do!

Definitely check out your Roll Call...that's the best way to get acquainted with others you'll be sailing with! Since the cruise is already paid for (for 2), how about asking a friend to come with you?

Edited by cb at sea