Early flight from Barcelona, what time to do self-disembarking?

ken_nyc

We have a 10:00 am flight to JFK after our Harmony cruise that I booked on ChoiceAir and also have insurance through RCCL. What time to do you suggest doing self-disembarking to get a cab at the port and off to BCN?

Thank you in advance!

Ken

We have a 10:00 am flight to JFK after our Harmony cruise that I booked on ChoiceAir and also have insurance through RCCL. What time to do you suggest doing self-disembarking to get a cab at the port and off to BCN?

Thank you in advance!

Ken

The earliest time offered by the ship for self-disembarking is what I would aim for....;)

Even with the earliest self-disembarkation a 10am international flight is a bit early.

Airports are currently quoting 3 hour check-in which would mean you would need to be at the airport by 7am.

Also, it does not allow any contingency for delays.

I would check with your cruise line beforehand and check what time you will be able to leave the ship and the earliest flight departure they recommend.

Even with the earliest self-disembarkation a 10am international flight is a bit early.

Airports are currently quoting 3 hour check-in which would mean you would need to be at the airport by 7am.

Also, it does not allow any contingency for delays.

I would check with your cruise line beforehand and check what time you will be able to leave the ship and the earliest flight departure they recommend.

Thank you Carol! I got the flight through Royal Caribbean so I would think it would be OK.

I am surprised they put you on a flight that early. You will need to be off the ship by 6.30 at the very latest.

Thank you Carol! Will try our best. Our friends have a 10:45am flight so I guess they are a little better off.

Seems too early too me.

If you got it through them are they transporting you to the airport? If so you will be on the first bus.

I would never have done this though.

Keith

I did not get the transfers from Royal Caribbean, I was thinking of getting a taxi which would be faster than waiting for the bus to fill.

Since it's through ChoiceAir you should be OK. But I would still get off as early as possible. One nice thing about Barcelona is there are taxis close to the Terminal. Make sure you negotiate a fare before hand!

You do not need to negotiate the fare from the port to the airport. It is now a fixed €39 (tariff T4).

Since it's through ChoiceAir you should be OK. But I would still get off as early as possible. One nice thing about Barcelona is there are taxis close to the Terminal. Make sure you negotiate a fare before hand!

Suppose to be a flat fare of 39 Euros.

RCCI technically *does* list 10:00am as the earliest departure.

However, be aware that airline schedules and timeframes *can* change, and not necessarily in your favor. Delta just did a massive change in their schedule (I know I've seen more than one person on CC mention their Delta flights changing) - my flight TO Barcelona moved from 7:58pm to 8:59pm with an arrival time of 11am rather than 10am, and my flight FROM Barcelona went from 1:35pm departure to 1:05pm departure. It's not a big deal for me as I was already coming in a couple of nights early to adjust time-zone-wise, and I purposely chose a later return flight even though it cost a little more because I like to have wiggle room, and would rather sit at the gate and read than be running and hoping I make my flight.

So since 10am is the earliest departure RCCI lists as acceptable, I guess if that was all I was offered I'd go with it...but I would watch that schedule like a hawk and as soon as it moved even 5 minutes earlier, I'd be on the phone to get it changed. (Not sure if you CAN do that going through their air...another reason I do it on my own - I have the final say in it.)

However, be aware that airline schedules and timeframes *can* change, and not necessarily in your favor. Delta just did a massive change in their schedule (I know I've seen more than one person on CC mention their Delta flights changing) - my flight TO Barcelona moved from 7:58pm to 8:59pm with an arrival time of 11am rather than 10am, and my flight FROM Barcelona went from 1:35pm departure to 1:05pm departure. It's not a big deal for me as I was already coming in a couple of nights early to adjust time-zone-wise, and I purposely chose a later return flight even though it cost a little more because I like to have wiggle room, and would rather sit at the gate and read than be running and hoping I make my flight.

So since 10am is the earliest departure RCCI lists as acceptable, I guess if that was all I was offered I'd go with it...but I would watch that schedule like a hawk and as soon as it moved even 5 minutes earlier, I'd be on the phone to get it changed. (Not sure if you CAN do that going through their air...another reason I do it on my own - I have the final say in it.)

Thank you!

Delta is notorious for flight changes, I usually use them but the flights were $800 more for Delta so I have American and check everyday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Thank you!

Delta is notorious for flight changes, I usually use them but the flights were $800 more for Delta so I have American and check everyday.

Most of the major airlines have schedule changes/updates twice a year - based on my experience.

We had 2 flight changes on American/US Air from May to October for our cruise from Rome. The last change really worked well for me because I got better flights when I called. Good to keep checking :)

Most of the major airlines have schedule changes/updates twice a year - based on my experience.

We had 2 flight changes on American/US Air from May to October for our cruise from Rome. The last change really worked well for me because I got better flights when I called. Good to keep checking :)

Our friends who are taking Delta already had 4 changes to flights since the end of July and I am sure there will be more. So far for our American flights there has been no changes.

We always fly Delta and book months in advance and have had numerous changes almost of everyone of them for domestic flights, one even changed 8 times.

Yep. Mine originally moved an hour later going to Barcelona and 30 minutes later coming from. Just over the weekend it moved another 20 minutes later going and another 15 minutes later coming from. (Delta - booked on my own as the price was pretty close to the same (I do RT - I don't get this "Let's do two one-way flights" thing as I've NEVER found that to be cheaper for me) and I feel more comfortable booking directly with the airline than a third party).

Mine is moving later than the original time, but if I'd booked one close to the recommended departure time, I would be watching it like a hawk. Also, given that the 10am time was before Paris, and as I understand it, the airlines and airports are now recommending more than the time that was normal pre-Paris. If it was me, I'd be on the phone with Choice Air to find a later flight or to ensure that they will guarantee me on the next flight if I miss the flight I booked through them.

Yep. Mine originally moved an hour later going to Barcelona and 30 minutes later coming from. Just over the weekend it moved another 20 minutes later going and another 15 minutes later coming from. (Delta - booked on my own as the price was pretty close to the same (I do RT - I don't get this "Let's do two one-way flights" thing as I've NEVER found that to be cheaper for me) and I feel more comfortable booking directly with the airline than a third party).

Mine is moving later than the original time, but if I'd booked one close to the recommended departure time, I would be watching it like a hawk. Also, given that the 10am time was before Paris, and as I understand it, the airlines and airports are now recommending more than the time that was normal pre-Paris. If it was me, I'd be on the phone with Choice Air to find a later flight or to ensure that they will guarantee me on the next flight if I miss the flight I booked through them.

You are lucky it worked in your favor!

• 3 months later...