String Quartet on HAL

Tom O.

I recently booked a Caribbean Cruise on the Nieu Amsterdam. It has been several years since I last sailed on a HAL ship. Something I really enjoyed on my last HAL cruise, was the string quartet. Do they still have a string quartet on most ships?

The Adagio Strings is now a duet - piano and violin. HAL is rolling out a string quintet in partnership with Lincoln Center, but I don't think that will be available by the time you sail. We had a very talented pianist and violinist on the Nieuw Amsterdam last year. Hopefully yours will be as good.

OP, the above responses are correct. But as the "Lincoln Center Stage" program spreads throughout the fleet it will be going back to a quartet plus piano. So depending on the ship you go on, when it sails and the implementation poeriod you may get your quartet or you may get a duo

Thanks for the replies.

A duet is only half as good as a quartet, but it is better than nothing!

My cruise is not until January 2017, so maybe there is a chance of a quartet by then. It is not a make or break thing. I would never choose a cruise based on on-board entertainment.

Thanks for the replies.

A duet is only half as good as a quartet, but it is better than nothing!My cruise is not until January 2017, so maybe there is a chance of a quartet by then. It is not a make or break thing. I would never choose a cruise based on on-board entertainment.

Are you implying a quartet is only half as good as an octet? :confused: I believe it has much more to do with the quality of the musicians than their number. ;)

Thanks! It looks like it will be a quintet (a standard quartet plus piano) - even better.

It was interesting to see the salary listed. Not a lot for a professional musician, but it would be a great adventure for a young person.

I think the string quartet on my last HAL cruise (2007) were all Russians, they were probably paid a lot less than what these new ones will make.

I hope I am lucky enough to have one of these quintets on my cruise.

Are you implying a quartet is only half as good as an octet? :confused: I believe it has much more to do with the quality of the musicians than their number. ;)

Of course you are correct. But I love the unique sound of chamber music, and a duet just isn't quite there. You need the harmony created by adding a viola and cello into the mix. I would assume all musicians hired by HAL would have the proper skills to perform.

Thanks! It looks like it will be a quintet (a standard quartet plus piano) - even better.

It was interesting to see the salary listed. Not a lot for a professional musician, but it would be a great adventure for a young person.

I think the string quartet on my last HAL cruise (2007) were all Russians, they were probably paid a lot less than what these new ones will make.

I hope I am lucky enough to have one of these quintets on my cruise.

Subtract out room, board, and other cost of living in NYC or LA, and it's not that bad. :)

Of course you are correct. But I love the unique sound of chamber music, and a duet just isn't quite there. You need the harmony created by adding a viola and cello into the mix. I would assume all musicians hired by HAL would have the proper skills to perform.

I'm no musician, but the quartet onboard in 2010 really sounded like their primary instrument was not in the strings family. And they appeared to have not played together before.

Last March on Veendam the Ukrainian adagio duo was incredible. As the week went on there was much mention of "that violinist". It made me rather sad, because the pianist was equally top notch. She was just in a supporting role. Together they were magic. Concert quality.

As the week went on there was much mention of "that violinist". It made me rather sad, because the pianist was equally top notch. She was just in a supporting role. Together they were magic. Concert quality.

Someone has to play rhythm and bass. :D As long as you told her that you appreciated her work, I'm sure all is well.

Not too many symphonies throw in room & board, though.

If you want good string quartets we suggest you cruise on Princess where they still exist (we just a fabulous all female string quartet on the Regal Princess). On HAL you will get a duet, and some of these duos are far below the quality of a Julliard student. The Quartets previously found on HAL (such as the Rosario Strings) have been axed as part of the cut-backs (denied by HAL cheerleaders). Those quartets went to way of the brass musicians in ship orchestras....which is to another cruise line or job.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

If you want good string quartets we suggest you cruise on Princess where they still exist (we just a fabulous all female string quartet on the Regal Princess). On HAL you will get a duet, and some of these duos are far below the quality of a Julliard student. The Quartets previously found on HAL (such as the Rosario Strings) have been axed as part of the cut-backs (denied by HAL cheerleaders). Those quartets went to way of the brass musicians in ship orchestras....which is to another cruise line or job.

Hank

Cross posted this to the Julliard student and alumni board. Without ruining the surprise, it's fair to say they take issue with what's posted in this thread. :D

Are you talking about the 4 amazingly gifted (and gorgeous) ladies? They were so good but difficult to make any requests. Would love to sail with them again.

Hank

Cunard has a string quartet and a harpist on their ships. Either the quartet or the harpist play at several afternoon teas in the Queen's room and some evenings in the main dining room. There is also a featured classical musician(s) on Atlantic crossings.

We enjoyed Adagio on our spring Alaska cruise on the Noordam. Without them there would have been no entertainment that would appeal to us.

Cunard has a string quartet and a harpist on their ships. Either the quartet or the harpist play at several afternoon teas in the Queen's room and some evenings in the main dining room. There is also a featured classical musician(s) on Atlantic crossings.

We enjoyed Adagio on our spring Alaska cruise on the Noordam. Without them there would have been no entertainment that would appeal to us.

Loved the classical music on the Queen Mary 2 :). As to my Julliard comment (earlier) we recently were involved in planning a NYC wedding and suggested bringing in a few Julliard students to perform at the reception. A few calls to Julliard arranged a quartet (3 students and a percussionist teacher) who were totally amazing! These students were so talented that one wondered why they still needed more school and training. The quality of the duos we have heard on HAL is hit or miss with one duo being excellent and another not worthy of one's time.

Hank

The quartet on Cunard sometimes play in one of the bars before dinner, too. It's nice to have music in the MDR, but unless you're really close you can't hear them. (But I wouldn't want them amplified through the whole room; then people would just talk more loudly.)