Star Princess disembarkation issues in Los Angeles

timtrek

Just got off the Ruby this morning in Los Angeles (san Pedro) and it was smooth as can be........I was off the ship and through customs in about 30 minutes

Then it sounds like Customs Border Patrol computers were up and working this morning as opposed to Thursday when Star was in port.

Not a chance that this means I will never cruise again....I have 6 more cruises booked. I probably just won't bother with LA again....just far enough away that we have to fly. As long as they still offer cruises out of San Francisco, I will probably cruise until I am too old to make it to the MDR. I wouldn't have minded staying on the ship until 3 PM -- even 5 PM if I hadn't had a flight to catch. This was my 47th cruise and by far, the worst embarkation I have ever experienced ... but then again, I did see human kindness so there is my silver lining.

Wow! We were on this cruise also. Yes, the disembarkation was a mess. We did make our 3:00 p.m. flight out of LAX. It was the worst disembarkation that we have had in 34 cruises. That being said, we have sailed in and out of San Francisco. I will take a cruise out of LA over a cruise out of San Francisco. This is a personal choice.

I have had more problems sailing in an out of San Francisco that I have had out of LA.

We have taken many cruises out of each port, and I prefer LA over San Francisco. Neither is our home port, and we have to fly into and out of the port for the cruise. San Francisco's port is better than what was a few years ago, but it still does not compare to LA. I love being on the wharf, but the problems we have experience there just doesn't compare.

We have over 10 cruises scheduled in the next 20 months, and I would not hesitate going to LA again, Many of our cruises either start of end in LA. None of them in San Francisco. None start or end in San Francisco. Love the City, and enjoy being there, but it won't win out for the port of choice. I gues that we will just have to to agree to disagree.

Just got off the Ruby this morning in Los Angeles (san Pedro) and it was smooth as can be........I was off the ship and through customs in about 30 minutes

Me, too. If you want a mess, go to Rio. :D Every port will have some issues once in awhile.

Perhaps some of those with large bags were doing B2Bs, or taking the 4-nighter as part of a much longer vacation?

This is exactly the reason for some passengers having the larger bags.

My brother lives in Seattle, so we've gone to visit him for a few days, then taken the bus to Vancouver for a couple of days, then jumped on the ship to cruise home. It's harder to go for 10 days with just a carry-on bag, although I'm sure there are some people that do.;)

Perhaps some of those with large bags were doing B2Bs, or taking the 4-nighter as part of a much longer vacation?:).

This is the category we are in. First, I have one carryon that is just for medication and medical devices. Then I have another one that is for camera and electronics. A third backpack (really only my second because the medical bag doesn't count in the count) has fragile and/or expensive items that I won't pack.

Now, I have clothes for a one week trip including dressing for dinner. I have warm clothes, cold clothes and comfort clothes. Those jackets take up a lot of room and they have to be packed since I'm already carrying enough stuff. I take bathroom stuff. Those hair dryers and hairspray and deodorant items take up room as well. I bring stuff up to Vancouver and I bring stuff back from Vancouver. You just can't get ketchup chips anywhere you know! Same with those chocolate bars. It was imperative that I bought the kids Canada t-shirts from the cheapest place in town, Vancouver airport. :rolleyes: Oh, and then I have two couch pillows I use for sitting. Those go everywhere I do.

My mom and I are taking the Star Princess Thanksgiving cruise, and we'll need 2 bags each. Granted, they're smaller bags--the ones I plan are using are each carry-on size. But even for 4 days, there are clothes for dinner, and all the toiletries, and shoes. I admire people who can take one bag for cruises, but that'll never be me.

This port is notorious for disembarkation delays. We were waiting near the gangway to self disembark and overheard Princess employees discussing they always expect problems here. We were told there are work slowdowns all the time in the terminal, nothing Princess can control.

We have made early flights three times at LAX but it was nerve wracking. Pam is correct in saying early flights can be problematic but we still book them so we can get back East on disembarkation day.

I often read on Cruise Critic people who say they always sign up for self-disembarkation no matter what their situation. Those who are just driving home will do it in order to get home faster. Or just don't want to lose sight of their luggage. Or whatever. We have never done self-disembarkation because we are usually driving home (for any cruises out of LA) nor for any cruises we had to travel to (we either stay post-cruise or make sure our flight isn't too early).

So maybe Princess's part in this is to allow passenger without the need to sign up for this.

We are just off Star this morning. The ship used an all-self-disembarkation system unless one made a special request for luggage tags, so your theory that it was all the locals' fault on the prior cruise may be incorrect. They assigned departure times by deck and, being on Emerald, we were initially assigned walk-off 25 at 10:30, which we changed to #1.

As for why people wish to depart early (or late, for that matter), that's none of my business. People who book early flights are taking a chance that they won't get off in time and I don't think it's my responsibility to stay onboard doing nothing so they can increase their odds. Thankfully today went quickly and we were off the ship and out of the terminal by 8:15.

Embarkation on the 12th was a nightmare for many, I am sure. We received two emails and a phone call advising us of a delay until 2:00 pm, so didn't even bother getting into the car until 2:30. They boarded three groups, then stopped, so when we arrived I would estimate that there were 2000+ people milling around in the terminal. We took advantage of the Elite boarding privilege so were onboard by 4:00 after they started up the process again.

Edited by critterchick

Wow! We were on this cruise also. Yes, the disembarkation was a mess. We did make our 3:00 p.m. flight out of LAX. It was the worst disembarkation that we have had in 34 cruises. That being said, we have sailed in and out of San Francisco. I will take a cruise out of LA over a cruise out of San Francisco. This is a personal choice.

I have had more problems sailing in an out of San Francisco that I have had out of LA.

We have taken many cruises out of each port, and I prefer LA over San Francisco. Neither is our home port, and we have to fly into and out of the port for the cruise. San Francisco's port is better than what was a few years ago, but it still does not compare to LA. I love being on the wharf, but the problems we have experience there just doesn't compare.

We have over 10 cruises scheduled in the next 20 months, and I would not hesitate going to LA again, Many of our cruises either start of end in LA. None of them in San Francisco. None start or end in San Francisco. Love the City, and enjoy being there, but it won't win out for the port of choice. I gues that we will just have to to agree to disagree.

I have actually had a terrible embarkation in San Francisco and had a friend with a bad debarkation in the same port. The only reason I mentioned I would stick with San Francisco is that we live right here so no danger in missing a flight home. We simply catch the BART train so if there are problems, I leave nobody hanging if they are picking me up and I won't have to pay extra to rebook my flight, etc. I am already home when we pull into the port....and wouldn't even mind staying onboard to allow those with early flights to disembark before me.

I just don't think the port in LA is close to anything great that I haven't already seen if I get stuck having to rebook a flight for late in the day. I used to go down there monthly ... so not much new that I am interested in seeing there.

This particular cruise was to introduce my nephews to cruising and they live up by Vancouver. They do have these short cruises that sail from Vancouver into SF, so will just try for one of those next time around. I don't relish booking an evening flight and hanging out in the airport all day ..... would rather wait on the ship and not worry about being late for a non-refundable ride, tour or flight. Nothing personal against LA .. just not a place I would feel like being stuck so with all things being nearly the same, will just pick San Francisco cruises.

Nor did I mean to criticize anyone for having larger luggage. We once stopped in Las Vegas on the way home from an 11 night cruise and took a 3 night cruise from Vancouver to SF after an 11 night cruise up in Alaska ... both times we had larger bags so I do understand why there may have been big suitcases in the hallways....we did!

Glad to hear the issues have now been resolved at San Pedro. Last Thursday was a day I wish to never repeat.

I live in San Pedro and cruise out of there all the time - you can usually set your watch by the ships coming and going - every once in a while there is a glitch - just the way things are some times.

I'm staying in San Pedro prior to the 50th Anniversary Cruise on the Pacific Princess at the Double Tree. Is there a wine store within walking distance?

Thanks!

Tom:)

I'm staying in San Pedro prior to the 50th Anniversary Cruise on the Pacific Princess at the Double Tree. Is there a wine store within walking distance?

Thanks!

Tom:)

There isn't anything in easy walking distance, but as I recall, the Doubletree has a shuttle that will take you anywhere within 5 miles. Von's on Gaffey Street has a decent selection of wines. I'm not sure if Off the Vine is still around, but I recall reading that you can order in advance and he'll deliver.

My friends are waiting to board. They were told not until 2pm--they are Platinum.

The same thing happened to us in Sept on a RCI ship. The problems are with the port computers. We were in the disabled line for 2 hours. The other lines had a much longer wait.

Patti

For those at the airport and boarding with a Princess transfer will go through hell! They'll cart you off to a hotel to wait and wait and wait. Then they'll bring in several buses and bus you to the port where you will wait and wait and wait some more. Doesn't matter what status you are, you are just another passenger waiting to board. Another reason why I wouldn't ever do a Princess transfer again. I'm not handing my life over to anyone who doesn't know what the left or right hand is doing. It all makes for a bad attitude when boarding and debarking. JMHO.

For those at the airport and boarding with a Princess transfer will go through hell! They'll cart you off to a hotel to wait and wait and wait. Then they'll bring in several buses and bus you to the port where you will wait and wait and wait some more. Doesn't matter what status you are, you are just another passenger waiting to board. Another reason why I wouldn't ever do a Princess transfer again. I'm not handing my life over to anyone who doesn't know what the left or right hand is doing. It all makes for a bad attitude when boarding and debarking. JMHO.

This is so funny....

When we were finally able to get to our Super Shuttle dispatcher, he just couldn't focus ... certainly couldn't multitask. He was helping me and someone interrupted .. twice. I told her to wait her turn ...he was helping me ... or so I thought. We left and he probably never noticed ... ripped the paperwork right out of his hand and again, he probably didn't even noticed that I was leaving and even less, he didn't know how irritated I was. His left hand didn't know what his right hand was doing ...

I told my nephews -- see boys, this is why you want to finish college and not do any mind altering drugs.

This is so funny....

When we were finally able to get to our Super Shuttle dispatcher, he just couldn't focus ... certainly couldn't multitask. He was helping me and someone interrupted .. twice. I told her to wait her turn ...he was helping me ... or so I thought. We left and he probably never noticed ... ripped the paperwork right out of his hand and again, he probably didn't even noticed that I was leaving and even less, he didn't know how irritated I was. His left hand didn't know what his right hand was doing ...

I told my nephews -- see boys, this is why you want to finish college and not do any mind altering drugs.

I'd take Super Shuttle any day over a Princess transfer. At least with Super Shuttle they take you to your destination and drop you off. We were on the bus waiting at the cruise terminal for 3 hours. No restroom on board the bus, no water. We had handicapped people on the bus. I got off the bus and told the bus driver she had 2 choices. Either take us to the cruise terminal, or I call 911 and tell them we are being held hostage. Pick your poison. We were at the terminal in less than 5 minutes, off the bus and on the ship within 15 minutes.