Pax Overboard

Treven

I see that the NCL Pearl lost a passenger 22 miles off the coast of Cuba. This was a dance party cruise. According to reports, she jumped.

Hope Coast Guard and whatever other boats are able to locate her.

Edited by Treven

Yep posted early today for another thread on it when story initially broke.

Here's the latest on it with stories despondent over a "twerking contest".

http://nypost.com/2015/11/13/twerk-off-ends-in-tragedy-when-woman-jumps-off-cruise-ship/

But article contradicts itself. One part says heading to Cozumel, Mexico, a bit later says ship heading back to Miami but still by the original date of Nov 15th??

Hmmm..

Edited by dalfan

I see that the NCL Pearl lost a passenger 22 miles off the coast of Cuba. This was a dance party cruise. According to reports, she jumped.

Hope Coast Guard and whatever other boats are able to locate her.

It happened almost 24 hours ago, and the ship has been released from search. Almost minimal chance she will be found alive. Even in 80* water, hypothermia can cause death within 16-24 hours.

Yep posted early on it when story broke.. and oddly my post gone...:confused:

Here's the latest on it. But article contradicts itself. One part says heading to Cozumel, Mexico, a bit later says ship heading back to Miami but by the Nov 15th??

Hmmm..

That thread went poof when bickering started. Ship was on way to Cozumel, but after being released from search, there is not enough time to make Cozumel and return to Miami in time, so she is just returning to Miami.

That thread went poof when bickering started. Ship was on way to Cozumel, but after being released from search, there is not enough time to make Cozumel and return to Miami in time, so she is just returning to Miami.

Oh think thread still a thar.. just buried or such since I can still pull it up on search at least... so bickering couldn't keep it buried.

And yes apparently no time to complete the planned route since just a 4-day'r and was apparently a chartered tour.

;)

Edited by dalfan

Oh think thread still a thar.. just buried or such since I can still pull it up on search at least... so bickering couldn't keep it buried.

;)

No, your thread, on the cruise news forum doesn't have any responses. Another thread on the NCL forum went poof. Lot of that going around lately, especially with threads about overboards.

When we were on the bridge of the Carnival Sunshine we saw video pictures of each side of the ship and the bow & stern. No one monitors these pictures but if someone goes over board they can reverse them and actually see a person jumping/falling and where this was done. Then they can back it up to see the time.

I read recently a ship picked up a a woman who had been in the water for an hour. And another ship picked up a man from a different ship. Forget the ships but people who jump can be found before drowning.

On another ship we saw a man over board drill. They thru a dummy over board, had to turn the whole ship around and picked up the dummy in a life boat. The ship's nurse had to administer oxygen to the dummy!

When we were on the bridge of the Carnival Sunshine we saw video pictures of each side of the ship and the bow & stern. No one monitors these pictures but if someone goes over board they can reverse them and actually see a person jumping/falling and where this was done. Then they can back it up to see the time.

I read recently a ship picked up a a woman who had been in the water for an hour. And another ship picked up a man from a different ship. Forget the ships but people who jump can be found before drowning.

On another ship we saw a man over board drill. They thru a dummy over board, had to turn the whole ship around and picked up the dummy in a life boat. The ship's nurse had to administer oxygen to the dummy!

While it is true that the bridge crew do not watch the ship's side monitors, deep within the ship is the Surveillance office, where people are stationed 24/7 whose only job is to monitor all the surveillance cameras onboard. They will have 5-6 TV monitors that rotate through all of the cameras every few seconds, and all of the video feeds are burned to DVD's. So, they possibly can see someone going overboard in real time, but usually not.

Yes, people who go overboard have been found alive. These are fairly rare, and the circumstances are usually special, though there is the miracle factor as well. I believe the one you are referring to, where the Disney ship found someone from the Oasis, he was in the water for about 5 hours.

There are large risks in entering the water from a height, just ask competitive tower divers, and this affects survival rate. Many people think that hypothermia is only a factor in cold water, but if you look at a hypothermia table, as I've stated, for 70-80* water, depending on clothing, health, injuries, seas, age, and alcohol consumption, unconsciousness can happen between 2-12 hours, and death in as little as 3-4 hours, not from drowning but from loss of core body temperature.

Even the world-class Search and Rescue personnel of the USCG will tell you that they sometimes have a difficult time finding their man overboard dummies, even with quick reaction time, a full crew involved in maintaining line of sight, and using safety orange on the dummy. Remember, only head and shoulders will be above water, so you are looking for a basketball in the immensity of the ocean.

[quote name=chengkp75;48294728

Even the world-class Search and Rescue personnel of the USCG will tell you that they sometimes have a difficult time finding their man overboard dummies' date=' even with quick reaction time, a full crew involved in maintaining line of sight, and using safety orange on the dummy. Remember, only head and shoulders will be above water, so you are looking for a basketball in the immensity of the ocean.[/quote]

I just hope I'm never that "basketball"!

Edited by Treven