Email about Legionnaires

ddawson711

So many have voiced their experiences whether it be past cruises or notice given about a future sailing and I as well asked the question when contacting Royal Caribbean as to why we were not notified of the concern before our sailing date only to be told that they did send out a letter addressing the issue at hand. I then asked that why out of 5 households that not one letter reached a single person that was in our group...or any other passengers that we have been in contact with or to the company and travel agent that we purchased our cruise thru??? Every question that i asked was answered with something that really did not even pertain to the situation at hand. I then asked, if the cruise ship is offering a hot tub and sauna as part of the amenities aboard the ship to be enjoyed as part of the cruise, although they knew that it was not in operation seems to me that falls under false advertisement, only to be told that the hot tub and sauna was indeed closed for precautions and they made sure to put extra chemicals in the pool "just in case"!!! Not to leave out the last part of the conversation, I was informed that for all the passengers concerns Royal Caribbean deposited a 25 Dollar onboard credit to their account on the first day of sailing...Funny thing...there was not a single onboard credit given to our 11 passengers nor anyone else that we have been in contact with and when they brought up our accounts they realized yet again our group had been left out once again!!!! The entire fiasco leaves a bad taste in my mouth!

This has been supposedly an ongoing issue for over 3 months.

Not exactly....

That is surprising. And no one was notified during those 3 months? Notification just going out now?

There is ONE person who sailed earlier in the summer who contracted Legionnaires' Disease. It has NOT been confirmed whether or not they contracted it on the ship. Ditto for the one confirmed case of Legionnaires' from October and the one suspected case of Legionnaires' from October. The October cases also have not been confirmed as being related to exposure on the ship.

Based on what has been reported and what I know of epidemiology, I am assuming that the "connection" wasn't made to the ship until after the October case was reported. That was when the testing samples were taken to investigate, and after the cultures confirmed the presence of the bacteria in some shower heads (which takes some time), then measures were taken to eradicate the bacteria.

If RCI was notified by the CDC in late October and samples were taken and cultured and confirmed the presence of the bacteria in some shower heads, then they would not have been able to inform people prior to November. To say they've known about this for three months and did nothing is absurd.

We sailed the Majesty on the Nov. 9-13 sailing to Bahamas. 4 night cruise. My brother-in-law was admitted to the hospital yesterday with Legionnaires Disease. We did not get the email about the ship being contaminated until the afternoon of Nov. 13, after we had just gotten off the ship. If we would have known the risk, would have had that letter prior to boarding, we wouldn't have taken the cruise. That should have been disclosed to anyone getting on that ship since July. For now, myself, my husband and sister are fine, but they say it could take 2 weeks for the symptoms to manifest. I would not sail on that ship, especially if you have any other medical issues, are elderly or have small children. It is the shower water that is contaminated. You are obviously going to take a shower while on board the ship. This was very irresponsible and unethical on Royal Caribbean's part.

We sailed the Majesty on the Nov. 9-13 sailing to Bahamas. 4 night cruise. My brother-in-law was admitted to the hospital yesterday with Legionnaires Disease. We did not get the email about the ship being contaminated until the afternoon of Nov. 13, after we had just gotten off the ship. If we would have known the risk, would have had that letter prior to boarding, we wouldn't have taken the cruise. That should have been disclosed to anyone getting on that ship since July. For now, myself, my husband and sister are fine, but they say it could take 2 weeks for the symptoms to manifest. I would not sail on that ship, especially if you have any other medical issues, are elderly or have small children. It is the shower water that is contaminated. You are obviously going to take a shower while on board the ship. This was very irresponsible and unethical on Royal Caribbean's part.

So RCI should have notified everyone BEFORE THEY KNEW ABOUT IT?

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Your group definitely should have been notified prior to sailing, to email people as they are disembarking if ridiculous! I hope your brother in law responds to treatment and no one else in your group gets sick.

Has your family been in touch with the cruise line?

Having read on - and someone will correct me if I am wrong Im sure:)

It is now confirmed the diease came from the ship. Royal is notifying passengers who will be boarding. CDC is involved.

Having been thru this experience way back when - I would not board as I did then - thinking like most of you - it will be fine.

What alternative are they giving you should you choose to cancel or rebook another saiing on another ship?

PS - we got the same vague answers to questions about the hot tubs etc. when we were on board. They still were not operational a year later however by that time the ship had been cleared by the CDC.

If the Majesty needs to be treated and cleared by the CDC - thats when I would sail her again. They will not keep this ship out of service long if that needs to be done.

Having read on - and someone will correct me if I am wrong Im sure:)

It is now confirmed the diease came from the ship. Royal is notifying passengers who will be boarding. CDC is involved.

Where did you read this????? Please provide a link.

NOTHING that has been posted here has confirmed that any disease was contracted on the ship. If you have another reputable source, please supply it.

Just because the bacteria was present in a few showerheads, it has NOT been confirmed that the people who did get sick got their bacteria from the ship. It MAY end up being confirmed, but as of what we know now, it has NOT been confirmed.

So hold on, all this hand-wringing, teeth-nashing and creating of new CC accounts is all because at the most, three people have gotten ill on a ship in the last 5 months? And even, so none have been confirmed? Oy.

That is exactly correct.

Pathetic, isn't it?? THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of healthy people, a handful of possibly related ill people.

Mind-boggling....

So hold on, all this hand-wringing, teeth-nashing and creating of new CC accounts is all because at the most, three people have gotten ill on a ship in the last 5 months? And even, so none have been confirmed? Oy.

People looking for information will use a tool called the internet and search for information. Their searches are bringing up this thread and then they are joining cruise critic to share their stories.

They did know about it before we boarded the ship. The hot tubs were closed and evidently the cruise before ours was delayed to treat for the bacteria.

As far as a confirmed case, my brother-in-law is a confirmed case of Legionnaires Disease. And it was a week ago that we disembarked the ship and a week ago that we received the email stating we had been exposed to the bacteria. They stated that the bacteria had been found in the water used for showering. Obviously, he contracted the disease from the ship.

This ship needs to be docked until the situation is taken care of. People's lives should not be put in danger.

I definitely would not sail on that ship any time soon.

This ship needs to be docked until the situation is taken care of. People's lives should not be put in danger.

With all due respect, how much danger are we talking about here?

Again, thousands and thousands have sailed on the ship in the months this situation has been going on and at the very most we are talking about three people? Not much danger and far better odds than a lot of other situations people put themselves in.

Well fancy that. Other people have gotten emails and letters. I haven't received a thing. Didn't get anything while I stood in line Nov 6 for 4 hours. Didn't get anything when I asked for it ALL THREE DAYS of my cruise. (Well, 2 days really since I lost a full day). I was told every time they were "out" but would find one and send it to my stateroom. And still can't get one during the 2 times I've called on this issue so far.

But hey...I did get 25 whole dollars for losing 1/3 of my cruise, being exposed to a bacteria, and being lied to about it. Seems fair, right?

And before people think I'm assuming anything, I have been in contactwith the CDC in Miami. They confirmed to me that yes..there is an open case of Legionaries on Majesty of the seas. And yes, they confirmed it came from the ship. Was she supposed to tell me that? Probably not. Just like she probably was not supposed to tell me to skip customer service and go straight to RCI's legal department.

I guess my point in all this is just how piss poor RCI has handled this whole situation. Most of us are intelligent and rational. Just give us the truth and the facts, and let us make our own minds up. That's all I ask...oh, and more than $25 stupid dollars.

In the meantime, if one of you that actually got that email would please forward it to me, I'd really really appreciate it.

shaninnance@hotmail.com

Where did you read this????? Please provide a link.

NOTHING that has been posted here has confirmed that any disease was contracted on the ship. If you have another reputable source, please supply it.

Just because the bacteria was present in a few showerheads, it has NOT been confirmed that the people who did get sick got their bacteria from the ship. It MAY end up being confirmed, but as of what we know now, it has NOT been confirmed.

That is exactly correct.

Pathetic, isn't it?? THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of healthy people, a handful of possibly related ill people.

Mind-boggling....

Your REALLY getting WORKED UP about this......mind-boggling:rolleyes:

As far as a confirmed case, my brother-in-law is a confirmed case of Legionnaires Disease. And it was a week ago that we disembarked the ship and a week ago that we received the email stating we had been exposed to the bacteria. They stated that the bacteria had been found in the water used for showering. Obviously, he contracted the disease from the ship.

And before people think I'm assuming anything, I have been in contact with the CDC in Miami. They confirmed to me that yes..there is an open case of Legionaries on Majesty of the seas. And yes, they confirmed it came from the ship. Was she supposed to tell me that? Probably not. Just like she probably was not supposed to tell me to skip customer service and go straight to RCI's legal department.

More information for people to take into consideration. I will not be the one to tell you to sail or not to sail. Just think there is much more going on here and people need to keep being made aware and to make an educated decision on what to do.

Hope your BIL is better. Can you share his cabin/ deck # and were your cabins near his?

Edited by setsail

Your REALLY getting WORKED UP about this......mind-boggling:rolleyes:

As a nurse and an intelligent human being, I get frustrated with people blathering on about things about which they have no actual knowledge.

Many of the statements that have been made in this thread have been based on half-truths and illogical conclusions not based on fact.

As a nurse, patient teaching is a big part of my life.

I am curious...what symptoms was your BIL presenting to make him go to the Dr?

Hope he makes a full and speedy recovery!

As a nurse and an intelligent human being, I get frustrated with people blathering on about things about which they have no actual knowledge.

Many of the statements that have been made in this thread have been based on half-truths and illogical conclusions not based on fact.

As a nurse, patient teaching is a big part of my life.

As a nurse-you should absolutely encourage educating ones self. It was recommended to contact the CDC. Someone did. Now, it is up to them to decide.

• 3 weeks later...

We were on the 9-13Nov trip, we never got any emails before during or after.

There was a note in the cabin - that could have been overlooked if a seasoned cruiser that does not read everything.

Looks like the same as posted here and on the back information from

http://www.cdc.gov/legionella/index.html

We did hear other talking about this.

One thing I did notice was the shower head and delivery hoze back to the valve looked brand new.

Anyone else on recent sailing notice the condition of their shower hoze/head assembly?

Acording to the CDC site it needs two potentialy connected cases to trigger outbreak so this would have happened when the OCt case was tracked to traveling on the ship giving a potential link to the previous case.

• 10 months later...
I've heard of ambulance chasers...didn't realize there were cruise ship chasers too...but the more I think about it....why am I surprised?

Maritime Law is a lot harder than "ambulance chasing", the forum selection clause in contract for diversity jurisdiction requires cases to be filed in southern district federal court which is more strict than civil.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Forums mobile app

Maritime Law is a lot harder than "ambulance chasing", the forum selection clause in contract for diversity jurisdiction requires cases to be filed in southern district federal court which is more strict than civil.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Forums mobile app

Actually, the choice of the southern district federal court for all court cases was done because it has shown itself to be more friendly to cruise lines than other venues around the US.

Once again, Mr. Walker's site skirts the truth, when he states that the water supply was contaminated, when in fact samples from around the ship at various sinks, showers and other outlets only showed legionella in a few shower heads. Shower heads are a known breeding ground for legionella, and for that reason the USPH requires that cruise ship shower heads be taken down and sanitized in chlorine every 6 months.