Should we keep insurance through NCL?

sherakay

This will be my 5th time cruising, but first time with NCL. I am expecting our first DD in March (I'm 33 husband in 35) and we are cruising in Sep. We got a $1015.55 AARP rate for NCL Escape Family Balcony and cruise rep added on $109 insurance with Berkley Care, LTD.

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/booksafe

I have never bought cruise insurance before. Is this worth the cost through NCL or should we cancel and look elsewhere?

Thanks!

What are your reasons for buying insurance? That would help to know if this policy fits your needs, or not. If the NCL insurance covers your needs, then it is fine. Many people, although mostly older than you, prefer higher medical coverage limits as the chances of them getting sick or injured are higher.

The NCL insurance only covers for $10,000 medical. It does provide credit for non-covered cancellation reasons and does not include coverage for self-booked air in cancellation costs. Those are the main quibbles in the policy. For $25-50 more, you could get $50,000 to $100,000 medical coverage and include your air and hotel costs as part of the covered items.

Ok, have to ask. You are in your 30s and got an AARP rate? How humiliating :) As to insurance, CherylandTK have it exactly right. You need to look at your own needs and then find the best insurance policy (if you even need insurance) that meets your own needs. There are several web online sites where you can do some comparisons such as insuremytrip.com, Squaremouth.com, and others.

And congratulations on your expanding family!

Hank

What we do is look at all options and then go with the one that best meets our needs. In fact, we have varied this not only based on our ages, but also the cost of the trip and where we are sailing.

An easy way we do this is to print out the cruise line policy and then visit http://www.insuremytrip.com

We then try to determine what policy works best for us for that specific trip.

We don't rule anything in or out until we do the research.

Keith