What do you do for Breakfast on debarkation day...

esdoorn

.....my wife and I have been discussing what to do for breakfast on debarkation day and she said we should ask folks on cruise critic what they do...

...so....what do you do if you happen to not have to be off the ship right away ( we are actually staying an extra day in FLL after our cruise ) and we are trying to figure out what to do as check in to our hotel in FLL isn't until 3pm.

thoughts?

I usually have a cup of coffee on the last morning we come into port. The buffet on the lido deck is open for breakfast on the last morning. I think one of the dining rooms is open for breakfast but not sure.

Eat a Relaxing Breakfast in The Main Dining Room on the ship at about 7:30am, they will gently push you out of there at about 8:30am,....Then go up to the pool deck and just relax in a lounge chair, till about 10am , when they'll make you leave the ship at last call. after leaving the ship, I say just drive around the nearby beach a little, walk on the fishing pier, etc. mabie grab some lunch at a local place, then head to you're hotel an hour or so early, most will let you in then, (if rooms are already cleaned by then), if not you can chill at the hotel pool untill you're room is ready.

Edited by ragen

........what time do you have to be out of your rooms?

given the early feedback.....we have two options I think:

....we could have breakfast in the Dining Room and then chill on the upper deck until last call

or

.....we can have breakfast when we need to and book the South Beach Shore Excursion ( it would be nice to have a tour of Miami Beach ) that includes transportation to FLL and then grab a cab from FLL to our FLL hotel if the bus won't drop us off at our hotel.

My husband eats his omelet from the Lido and I just get coffee and then something in the airport.

You can pick and choose any breakfast option from the ones available on the ship.

BTW hopefully you know that "3PM check in" just means that's when they guarantee your room to be ready at the hotel. In reality you can go there when you leave the ship and drop your bags and probably around noon a room would be ready for you to actually check in.

We always tell hotels we want early check in. I call the night before or day of to see how busy they are but we are usually able to check in way earlier than the listed time.

We always stay over an additional day after a cruise, we have coffee but then off the ship and catch a taxi to Ft Lauderdale. We always stay at a hotel on Ft. Lauderdale beach and if I forgot to request a early check in then they will hold our luggage and call when our room is ready. We like to get there as early as possible so we can enjoy the day before the early flight back the next morning. We have stayed as long as possible on the ship but found it a waste to just be hanging out when we can enjoy the beach and shopping elsewhere

Generally, they want you out of your cabin by 8 or 8:30. Off hand, I can't remember if FLL is one of the ports that require Canadians to go through immigration prior to debarking or not. This might factor into your plans a little bit if it is. I don't believe Miami requires that.

You mentioned staying an extra day and doing the tour of Miami Beach with drop off at FLL afterwards. I'm considering doing something similar myself, and then getting a rental car at the airport so that we have that for the remainder of the day. Right now I'm still weighing the cost of doing that versus going to the airport (we'd do MIA), get the rental car, and then driving back to Miami Beach for a little bit on our own. It would definitely be cheaper to do it on our own, but the hassle of getting to the airport, getting the car, and then driving back to essentially where we had been might just make it worthwhile to book the excursion.

Another option would be--even if you can't check in to your hotel early, they will likely let you store your luggage with them (call and inquire with them), so you can still get off the ship early, drop your luggage off at your hotel, and then go out and explore Miami/Fort Lauderdale.

given the early feedback.....we have two options I think:

....we could have breakfast in the Dining Room and then chill on the upper deck until last call

or

.....we can have breakfast when we need to and book the South Beach Shore Excursion ( it would be nice to have a tour of Miami Beach ) that includes transportation to FLL and then grab a cab from FLL to our FLL hotel if the bus won't drop us off at our hotel.

You have to be out of your cabin by 8:30. I think the best option for me would be to book a post cruise excursion so you don't have to worry about your luggage. Go to breakfast in the MDR.

The excursion bus won't drop you at your hotel, so unless your hotel has an airport shuttle you'll have to get a cab.

We usually have either a late flight or stay another night, so we take all our stuff out of our cabin, go the MDR for a nice leisurly breakfast then head up to the lido until our zone is called ( I go down to the GS's desk and trade our zone 1 for the last zone )

IF we have a late flight or staying an extra day or two in port our morning of debarkation, we exit the stateroom around 8 or so and enjoy a last meal in the MDR. Then we find a comfy place close to coffee and read or people watch until the last of the debark numbers are being called. Not quite where they are kicking us off the ship but close.

Next stop would be the Hotel. As riftasea stated you can often check in early. Even when I wasn't able to check in most hotel will hold your luggage.

In response to your second post, You are asked to clear your stateroom so that the room steward can begin the cleaning process. I think the time is around 8. Possibly 8:30.

Your idea to do the South Beach excursion sounds fun. You could get an idea of the area. Go check in to your hotel and then you could really explore the area.

Which ever options you choose have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks everyone for your input!

My wife and I have figured that we will do the following:

- We arrive early the day before our cruise and will use SAS Transport from FLL to our Port of Miami Hotel. Spend time on this day touring around Miami/South Beach and then dinner across the road at the Bayside Marketplace.

- On debarkation day we are going to get up early at hit the MDR at 6.30 and have breakfast and get off the ship as early as possible ( we have FTTF ) and take SAS Transport to our FLL Hotel ( Hilton Beach Resort ) and enjoy the day in FLL before our flight out the next day.

Thanks again to everyone for their feedback, it was greatly appreciated!

We have had a late FLL flight on the debarkation day before.

We bought water taxi pass for 1/2 price on travelzoo, and just enjoyed the water taxi tour for the day, watching the scenery and listening to the interesting narration of the sites and houses of the rich and famous.

If your ship has Blue Iguana Cantina I normally go up there for my last Hueveros Rancheros and Arepa. My DD gets a spinach cheese and bacon omelette with fruit. DH either just does room service or joins us at cantina.

I wish......but we are on the Sensation.....chose to go on a smaller ship for our very first cruise ever to get our feet wet for further cruises in the future.

We bought water taxi pass for 1/2 price on travelzoo, and just enjoyed the water taxi tour for the day, watching the scenery and listening to the interesting narration of the sites and houses of the rich and famous.

Where do you catch the water taxi?

We always go to the Main Dining Room for breakfast, even on debarkation day. We also always put the luggage out the night before. Our Diamond letter told us to meet in a certain place by 8:30am. So, we got up at 6:15, showered and dressed we went to breakfast from 7-7:45 am. Then went back to the cabin to use the bathroom and brush teeth etc. Then at about 8:15 we headed downstairs to the meeting point. We didn't have to rush. At 8:30 they came to get us to debark the ship.

If staying at a hotel after a cruise we get off as late as possible and head to the hotel. We check our bags with the concierge and then head off to the beach or to see the sights. We bring locks for this purpose. We try to stay at hotels that we are members of their program and most of the time the room is ready around lunch time.

.....my wife and I have been discussing what to do for breakfast on debarkation day and she said we should ask folks on cruise critic what they do...

...so....what do you do if you happen to not have to be off the ship right away ( we are actually staying an extra day in FLL after our cruise ) and we are trying to figure out what to do as check in to our hotel in FLL isn't until 3pm.

thoughts?

I go to the buffet for breakfast. When I didn't have to be off right-a-way I went to a lounge by the pool and just relaxed. Once the line thinned out I departed as I did want to delay embarkation for the next cruise. Still, I had a good hour of just relaxing.

Edited by Cuizer2

We tend to eing it whe it comes to our last morning. If they still offer room service we will do that sometimes so we can wake up on our own pace. Otherwise we usually head to the buffet until we are ready to go. I would definitely give your hotel a call and see what you options are there. They may be able to get you an early check in, and they usually will at least you leave your bags. Would likely let you use whatever is on the grounds (suchl as the pool as well.) If staying there for the afternoon doesn't sound appealing you stillm have your bags as one less thing to worry about while you explore the area. I have almost always been able to check in around noon or 1 pm at most places unless they are very booked, and the location may be able to offer you a very early check in with a fee (since they can plan in advance.) Never know, you may find you won't have a lot of time you have to fill.

I think the tour could be a good option as well if you find it appealing... but don't forget you may be able to find something local as well, or something like a fun self guided tour near your hotel.

I was going to suggest the same.