Celebrity ditch formal nights

kevinyork

Just thought I would add on this forum that yesterday Celebrity cruises have removed formal nights altogether after Dec 15. They are going to have at least 2 Chic evenings where the dress code is similar to smart casual on P&O.

Just thought it was interesting that the 6 star lines don't have formal nights, the newer Quantum Class Royal Caribbean ships don't have formal nights and now the 5 star Celebrity line has ditched formal nights. Is this the start of the end?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just thought I would add on this forum that yesterday Celebrity cruises have removed formal nights altogether after Dec 15. They are going to have at least 2 Chic evenings where the dress code is similar to smart casual on P&O.

Just thought it was interesting that the 6 star lines don't have formal nights, the newer Quantum Class Royal Caribbean ships don't have formal nights and now the 5 star Celebrity line has ditched formal nights. Is this the start of the end?

Do you mean the one announced a week ago Kevin? Caused a canny row on the Celebrity boards, which is still going on.

I would say no as when you go into shops at this time of year DJ's are well to the fore.

Remember many schools are following on from the states and having proms so the younger generation are far more used to wearing them than we were.

Do you mean the one announced a week ago Kevin? Caused a canny row on the Celebrity boards, which is still going on.

I would say no as when you go into shops at this time of year DJ's are well to the fore.

Remember many schools are following on from the states and having proms so the younger generation are far more used to wearing them than we were.

I only got a notification yesterday so presumably the same announcement.

We like formal as its the same dress for us guys on each formal night. Just thought it may be the start of the end for formal nights across the industry.

I hope not - we were thinking of a Celebrity cruise for 2017 but this has been the nail in the coffin and we won't be bothering. Very disappointed, but Celebrity has made a number of changes that we don't like over recent years.

I think that formal gear has become more and more popular for events around Christmas and more shops are selling evening wear more than ever.

I really hope that P&O keep to their tradition. Someone has to.

The only line left for us would be Cunard and that seems too formal in some ways.

Having said that, we quite fancy Oceania, and know that it isn't formal, but that is our choice.

Why can't people book a cruise that fits in with their lifestyle rather than booking a cruise and expecting the cruise line to change to suit them. Grrr

And what a stupid time to make the changes - the beginning of December. ' Would not be happy to have booked a year ago and then to find out about the changes. I certainly don't want to wear jeans and a sparkly top on a 'special

evening'. Can do that at home.

Interestingly in the past hour on the P&O fans FB site, someone said they had heard a rumour about P&O reducing the number of formals. He was asking people what they thought. 8 people said they should be reduced to 1 per week or done away with. And 150+ said they should be left or increased.

I think that is fairly conclusive. If P&O get the same feedback on their questionnaire 's then it won't be changed.

I think with the 6* lines their smart casual has the emphasis on SMART casual. On a main line ,and I include Celebrity in that, smart casual would fairly soon have the emphasis on smart CASUAL.

I noted on their chic evenings Jean were allowed in the main dining room.

One of the things I like about cruising is the chance to wear pretty pretty clothes.

Jeans does not come into that.

As everyone keeps on about celebrity I thought I would look through their brochure..their website is not user friendly at all. To get the sort of separation between sitting/sleeping in cabins on pando,Aurora, deluxe balcony, we would have to look at suites on Celebrity. Nothing I saw on there made me think it w as much different than pando.

Interesting. I was looking at Celebrity as an alternative to P and O because I'm so fed up about the new boarding fiasco.

But not without formal nights.

Sorry not a boarding fiasco at all only when people think that they know best and turn up when they like.

I think with the 6* lines their smart casual has the emphasis on SMART casual. On a main line ,and I include Celebrity in that, smart casual would fairly soon have the emphasis on smart CASUAL.

I noted on their chic evenings Jean were allowed in the main dining room.

One of the things I like about cruising is the chance to wear pretty pretty clothes.

Jeans does not come into that.

As everyone keeps on about celebrity I thought I would look through their brochure..their website is not user friendly at all. To get the sort of separation between sitting/sleeping in cabins on pando,Aurora, deluxe balcony, we would have to look at suites on Celebrity. Nothing I saw on there made me think it w as much different than pando.

As someone who wears cocktail wear on formal nights I don't think this will make much difference to me personally

I will continue to cruise with Celebrity if they have any cruises of interest. I like cruising from Southampton and Celebrity have less choice from there. Next May am trying a Celebrity fly cruise

However just to comment on your points, IMHO - and of course its only my view -

- Agree Celebrity website is unfriendly

- Haven't been on Aurora but have always had a balcony when I cruise and Celebrity standard balconies are much superior to P&O and bathrooms are bigger with better amenities. The rooms seem quite long, with long sofas so there does seem separation. We have had drinks with friends in Celebrity balcony cabins with no issues at all

- Food on Celebrity much better - both in MDR and buffet. Speciality restaurants very good on Celebrity - great choice

- Staff - very friendly on both - if you are thoughtful and pleasant to them by and large they will reciprocate

Fellow cruisers - much more international on Celebrity and great to chat to Australians, Americans, Canadians etc. Have made some lovely friends on both lines, but by and large I have probably enjoyed Celebrity fellow cruisers more and have enjoyed planning private tours with them which I have never really done on P&O as there never seems to be a roll call (or an active roll call)

I like a winter - usually Christmas - cruise in Europe so probably will continue with P&O. it does have some advantages - more affordable alcohol (negated by Celebrity drinks packages if you get them free), and a nice feeling of being at home. This year I am on Oceana at Christmas and I know I will not like the small cabin/bathroom/balcony. I will also be interested to see what there is to do on sea days as there was very little on Adonia last Christmas.

i do feel since my first P&O cruise 5 years ago that they are offering a bit less, but a cruise is a cruise and I will love being at sea

On balance I prefer Celebrity as I feel it offers more and if there were identical cruises I would pick Celebrity. Its definitely worth trying with an open mind if you haven't tried it before

Edited by gadabout60

Re formal nights, Dai made an interesting point that the younger generation are much more used to formal dressing in their school and college proms than we ever were, so (hopefully) will keep up the traditon as they get older.

Edited by Scriv

As someone who wears cocktail wear on formal nights I don't think this will make much difference to me personally

I will continue to cruise with Celebrity if they have any cruises of interest. I like cruising from Southampton and Celebrity have less choice from there. Next May am trying a Celebrity fly cruise

However just to comment on your points, IMHO - and of course its only my view -

- Agree Celebrity website is unfriendly

- Haven't been on Aurora but have always had a balcony when I cruise and Celebrity standard balconies are much superior to P&O and bathrooms are bigger with better amenities. The rooms seem quite long, with long sofas so there does seem separation. We have had drinks with friends in Celebrity balcony cabins with no issues at all

- Food on Celebrity much better - both in MDR and buffet. Speciality restaurants very good on Celebrity - great choice

- Staff - very friendly on both - if you are thoughtful and pleasant to them by and large they will reciprocate

Fellow cruisers - much more international on Celebrity and great to chat to Australians, Americans, Canadians etc. Have made some lovely friends on both lines, but by and large I have probably enjoyed Celebrity fellow cruisers more and have enjoyed planning private tours with them which I have never really done on P&O as there never seems to be a roll call (or an active roll call)

I like a winter - usually Christmas - cruise in Europe so probably will continue with P&O. it does have some advantages - more affordable alcohol (negated by Celebrity drinks packages if you get them free), and a nice feeling of being at home. This year I am on Oceana at Christmas and I know I will not like the small cabin/bathroom/balcony. I will also be interested to see what there is to do on sea days as there was very little on Adonia last Christmas.

i do feel since my first P&O cruise 5 years ago that they are offering a bit less, but a cruise is a cruise and I will love being at sea

On balance I prefer Celebrity as I feel it offers more and if there were identical cruises I would pick Celebrity. Its definitely worth trying with an open mind if you haven't tried it before

I would agree completely with your views. I think the food on Celebrity was the best we've had (including P&O and Cunard) but not so different to make me choose one over another. The itinerary is far more important to me.

There is a more international feel and we found the staff we had contact with very friendly, efficient and accommodating.

On the whole, it does have a different ambience mainly due to the international mix of passengers but we enjoyed experiencing that too.

We are quite happy with our P&O and Celebrity experiences and agree that a good cruise is a good cruise and sometimes a bit of a change makes it all the more interesting.

P&O need to respond immediately by dropping the jacket required code NOW. This is logical and nothing at all to do with the miserly 20kg allowance for my fly cruise on Aurora next February, plus it would save me having to spend pennies on buying a larger case to fit in all the stuff for 28 nights ;)

I don't think Celebrity have "ditched" formal nights, rather they have broadened the dress code to allow people who don't like formal dress, or don't have a DJ, to feel comfortable being without a jacket.

As mentioned on the Celebrity forum. People with class will look good whatever they wear. Translate this for us and imagine all those men in dinner jackets who certainly DID NOT look classy :eek:

Whether their 'Chic' code works will be down to how they police it, plus the company accountants won't care as long as the passenger numbers and, importantly, the on board spend, go up. they probably have research that proves that 'classy' passengers dressing 'Chic' spend more aboard than old traditionalists ;)

P&O need to respond immediately by dropping the jacket required code NOW. This is logical and nothing at all to do with the miserly 20kg allowance for my fly cruise on Aurora next February, plus it would save me having to spend pennies on buying a larger case to fit in all the stuff for 28 nights ;)

I thought jacket required evenings had been ditched on all but Adonia?

We are on Adonia in February and had a letter several weeks ago saying that the Smart - Jacket Required Nights (there were supposed to be two) were being dropped in favour of the two more Casual nights - there are 3 formal evenings rather than 4 as our last sea day is the final night on board and they wouldn't have a formal evening on the last night.

I thought jacket required evenings had been ditched on all but Adonia?

No, the worldies and their segments still have their jacket required nights this winter. I can think of no good reason why, especially with a lot of passengers flying :confused:

No, the worldies and their segments still have their jacket required nights this winter. I can think of no good reason why, especially with a lot of passengers flying :confused:

Think it is an excellent idea that they have the 3 dress codes on the world cruise. Wonderful. Now you go and enjoy. :). ;). Metz Dave.

In August '07 we were on GTS Constellation and were invited to a PR meeting at which it was announced that the Azamara sub-brand would have no formal dress code evenings. It was felt that this meant 'Ralph Lauren etc' as a minimum standard. Not for the 'singlet & tattoo' brigade! Is this still the situation?