Ms Oosterdam Almost Live Nov 16-27

Crew News

Hey, thanks for a great OSDM travel log. I'm wondering if that super duper thermometer can tell us the temp of a freshly made Wang Wang? ;) Then again, I've also been wondering who the individual was who first looked at a cow and said, "Awwrighty then, I think I'll drink whatever comes out of these things when I squeeze 'em

Hey, thanks for a great OSDM travel log. I'm wondering if that super duper thermometer can tell us the temp of a freshly made Wang Wang? ;) Then again, I've also been wondering who the individual was who first looked at a cow and said, "Awwrighty then, I think I'll drink whatever comes out of these things when I squeeze 'em

Oh my, this is a post worthy of POA!! Thanks for my chuckle today

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What sick mind mentions a Wang Wang and cow's milk in the same post? Too twisted for color TV.

This is the first installment of my normal "live" report from each cruise. Unlike other cruises and to give better information, I am armed with an infrared thermometer for A/C and food temp issues, tape measure, cameras, scanner, a discriminating palate (no escargot), and an eye tuned to ship's maintenance issues.

I will find all of the relevant names for the staff and entertainment, report rumors of changes, scan every menu, critic the food, and do my best to describe ship's activities.

Feel free to ask questions and I will find the answers.

I know that it is still early in your cruise, but since we will be on the next 11 day sailing of the Oosterdam, I was wondering which nights (there are supposed to be 2) of the cruise are/will be "gala"? I want to plan some events around these evenings.

Thanks - DaveOKC

I am very sad there was no ROAST BEEF the first night. It is a tradition!! We will see if the Eurodam has it this Sunday. How about Wang Wang with choc. milk and whipped cream? Never know!

I think I might just pop over to Harbor Freight and see about this thermometer. First, have to check to make sure DSiL doesn't have a couple already!

Hi to Joanie!

Crew News thanks for the info. I just tested some milk from our fridge and it is about 40F. So 53F is definitely too warm.

I will never stop being amazed by the questions people ask! Not a criticism, just a comment :)

:D

Pretty unfortunate for my DH that I'm prepared to reveal some of his quirks online, isn't it? :D

Edited by CowPrincess

Crew News - another request:

On the 20th (Friday) you should be in Saint Lucia as I recall. I am looking for some information on the "Scenic Cruising Soufriere Bay" that you are supposed to be doing right after you depart Castries, Saint Lucia (per the HAL schedule).

I heard that this is quite scenic, so I asked some of the roll call members (from our Dec. 7 cruise) to stop by my cabin (aft-wrap, deck 5) to enjoy the cruising. What I would like to know is what time does this start (I am assuming right after our departure of 4 PM), how long does it last (I know it gets dark early this time of year also), and is it a nice "cruising"? Any thoughts/suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

DaveOKC

Crew News,

Great thread of posts thank you very much.

I couldn't find a dining room table number map that I knew was accurate and current. Maybe you could add that to the list of things to post latter? (or point me in the right direction for a correct one).

We sail on Oosterdam in May 2016 and still lots to plan.

Thanks again,

Sightcrr

I know that it is still early in your cruise, but since we will be on the next 11 day sailing of the Oosterdam, I was wondering which nights (there are supposed to be 2) of the cruise are/will be "gala"? I want to plan some events around these evenings.

Thanks - DaveOKC

The first sea day was a Gala Attire night and the second will be on Wednesday, 25th of Nov. So that means on Wed of your second week.

I will have all of the MDR and Lido Restaurant menus available before you sail. On Locations as well.

Crew News,

Great thread of posts thank you very much.

I couldn't find a dining room table number map that I knew was accurate and current. Maybe you could add that to the list of things to post latter? (or point me in the right direction for a correct one).

We sail on Oosterdam in May 2016 and still lots to plan.

Thanks again,

Sightcrr

The Neptune Lounge is printing me a current map of the MDR levels and I will post it for you.

Our stateroom curtains opened to a bright, sunny, day and then our doorbell rang with our Room Service breakfast. Eggs were 109 degrees, carton of milk - 68 degrees, bacon - 85 degrees, croissants - 109 degrees, and OJ - 75 degrees.

The Marigold Butterfly excursion waiting area was about 100 feet from the gangway. The reason was never given but we did not begin our one-quarter mile walk to our bus until 20 minutes after our scheduled departure. The drive across the island of St Maarten to the French port of Marigot was uneventful and the A/C performed admirably. By the time we reached our bus parking area the temperature had passed 80 degress and the humidity remained very high. When I felt uncomfortable with the excess perspiration, I remembered the snow back home in New Mexico and felt great not being there. After a long sip of a local guava drink, I was ready to carry-on.

The visit to Marigot on the French side of the island allowed one hour at the port for souvenir shopping before departing for the Marigot Butterfly Farm. The visit was very informative and provided unlimited opportnities to photograph the butterflies and moths while receiving tips on how to attract butterflies at our homes.

At the end of the excursion, we had a little more than one hour to shop around the port.

With the pre-approval of the Front Desk to store my Gouda cheese, I paid $29 for each of my three 5-Kg (11 pounds) wheels of cheese. I marked each of the plastic bags and turned them over to the Front Desk. Arriving at my stateroom , I received a telephone call telling me that HAL can no longer store passenger items in Cold Storage. My 33 pounds of Gouda cheese are in ice swimming in a large IKEA bag on the shower floor.

Although we arrived after the Eurodam and four other ships, we were the first to leave at 3:06 PM.

Our chicken wings and skewered shrimp was delivered by our MDR waiter, Kadek, at 3:00 PM. He repeated his daily question, "would we be in the MDR this evening." I declared my plan to be there but Joanie opted for just a chocolate dessert from the Lido Restaurant. It must be noted that Kadek will be heading for Europe and the Konigsdam in March 2016 to help train the new ship staff.

I attended the Windows 10 Cortana class and feel a lot more comfortable with managing my data released to Microsoft.

MDR dinner included spinach/turkey soup and the short-rib entree followed by Hazelnut Mousse cake.

Another early port day an St Lucia tomorrow, so early to bed.

I will be on the cross island tour and meet the ship at Souffriere. Joanie will keep a record of what she sees and the travel time as requested. Our last cruise to St Lucia, we stopped for about an hour off shore in Souffriere while tenders picked up those on excursions (me tomorrow).

More later.

Thanks for telling us about the Culinary Art Center activity. That is probably my favorite thing to do on a sea day. I really enjoy hearing from the Hosts, as well as the chefs. Always something to learn.

How long are the demos and how often are they offered?

Is there an additional charge to attend? Do we need to make reservations ahead of time?

We are supposed to receive tickets to a some kind culinary and cocktail event from out Travel agent.

I love reading the daily live posts. I hope the weather clears and stays sunny for our cruise too. We board on 11/27 only 7 days away !!!

THANKS !

Edited by funji1

How long are the demos and how often are they offered?

Is there an additional charge to attend? Do we need to make reservations ahead of time?

We are supposed to receive tickets to a some kind culinary and cocktail event from out Travel agent.

I love reading the daily live posts. I hope the weather clears and stays sunny for our cruise too. We board on 11/27 only 7 days away !!!

THANKS !

Demos are free and last about 45 minutes because the food is actually cooked during the demo. No reservations are needed but getting there 15 minutes early will get you a seat.

There have been several private parties on board.

Cooking classes are offered on each cruise for $29 with a max of 14 participants.