Ms Oosterdam Almost Live Nov 16-27

Crew News

I'm sorry to hear about the mixup with the cheese storage. I can understand if you just walked up to the desk and said "store this, please." But you made prior arrangements. That kind of thing really annoys me!

Gotta ask--how do you get the 33 pounds of cheese back to NM????

I hope you have a good day in St Lucia. It's a pretty island.

We will be sailing the end of Feb. and I wondered if there is a BBQ on deck during the 11 day section? We have always enjoyed that and do not want to miss it.

Thanks for the gala night heads up, it will help us plan our PG and CC dinners. Really enjoying your review.

Another Oosterdam cruise started with perfect weather. With a delayed start for my Historical Tour of St Lucia ending in Soufriere, we could eat Breakfast after most passengers had already gone ashore.

The drive from one end of St Lucia to the other was harrowing to say the least with sharp curves, steep roads, and all traffic driving on a side of the road not seen by most from North America. Our tour guide knew every plant by popular as well as scientific name. He also knew every bird species on the island and the smallest detail of the island's history. The photo opportunities were plentiful with a number of bus stops during the seven-hour excursion. We stopped at a plantation for lunch at 2:30 PM and were joined by another 140 (four more buses) of the HAL passengers on the same excursion. Each passenger on the small buses had an A/C vent overhed that kept the bus delightful. While visiting a historic site, we endured a very heavy rainfall while those HAL excursions on the other side of the island only had sunshine. My knees feel terrible after all of the steps and the steep grade inside the volcano in Soufriere but I would gladly do it again.

As requested, here is the Oosterdam timeline: Ship departed Castries 4:00 PM. Ship arrived at Soufriere at 5:05 PM. First tender in the water at 5:20 PM. I arrived back on-board the Oosterdam at 5:50 PM. Dinner at 6:15 PM.

A Dining Room observation for service on Days 3 and 4 was that every diner in my view had a good start on eating their first course within 15 minutes of the MDR door opening. My first two MDR meals took less than one hour and my late-arrival meal tonight took 37 minutes.

To answer another question, buckets of beer do not include beveerage containers that have been opened.

Joanie spoke to JJ, Bar Manager, who we have known since he was a guest on one of the M&Gs that she organized.

I have the latest Vista-class MDR table map that I will be posting when I get a faster internet connection.

Steak Diane arrangements have been made for Saturday evening in the PG for dinner with CC friends.

Re: Cheese to NM. We pack a collapsible case in which we carry the cheese in individual, large, Ziploc bags. The cheese will be away from refrigeration for about five hours since we are making a stopover in New Orleans where it will go back in ice.

IMHO food remains good, MDR service swift, and the Lido Restaurant staff very friendly. Krista and Lawrence in the Neptune Lounge can make almost anything happen.

More later.

Demos are free and last about 45 minutes because the food is actually cooked during the demo. No reservations are needed but getting there 15 minutes early will get you a seat.

There have been several private parties on board.

Cooking classes are offered on each cruise for $29 with a max of 14 participants.

What kind of private parties?

The last 2 times we were on a Vista ship after we stopped at Soufriere to pickup the people that were on tour the ship just "floated around in the bay" overlooking the Pitons as the sun set and had a big cookout dinner on the aft pool deck. It was great. Did they do that this time?

Another beautiful day was at hand when we docked in Barbados this AM. Room Service breakfast arrived exactly at the earliest time requested. Measured thermal temps were: eggs - 115 degrees, bacon - 131 degrees, hash browns - 135 degrees, bran muffin - 80 degrees, surface of milk - 72 degrees, and OJ - 78 degrees.

My four-hour Natural Wonders of Barbados excursion spent nearly three hours on rural roads that rattled the bus windows and surely loosened the dental fillings of most passengers. Our guide was very knowledgeable in plants/flowers and Barbados history. As a photographer, I enjoyed the expansive view of the island's northern coast with it's pounding surf as well as the stop at an incredible garden. An additional stop was made at a sheep farm where some of us handled a baby sheep born just this morning. Temps were in the high '80's but my chosen bus seat had two very powerful A/C outlets pouring cold air on my head during the excursion.

I learned of a golf course here in Barbados that charges $25000 to stay one night in the course hotel. Each round of gold costs $1000 and the hotel was the site of Tiger Woods wedding.

Upon the return to the Port Terminal, I saw at least 100 ship's crew members leaning against the wall using their cell phones and tablets. Their presence indicated a free Wi-Fi hotspot.

The balance of the afternoon was devoted to scanning menus, answering email on a very slow internet connection, and talking with friends.

As requested, I confirmed that "starters"were available in the Lido at the start of the two dinner serving lines. I spoke with the Lido Manager to confirm that "starter" (formerly called "appetizers") are available if they are on the MDR menu.

I did not go to the aft Lido Deck after boarding in Soufriere and did not see a cookout in the On Location for St Lucia. I will start paying more attention to the outdoor cooking events.

I have not paid attention for whom the private parties were held.

The Captain announced that our speed to Martinique would be only 9 knots since were are just a bit over 100 miles to travel.

Tomorrow is another early rising to experience Martinique on a Sunday when most everything will be closed. I have opted for a Land Rover excursion over back roads in spite of the warning of potential vertigo and back injury. Almost anything for some great pictures.

More later.

Edited by Crew News

Thank you so much for posting this. We are on the Oosterdam in just over 3 weeks.

Just wondering if you can do us a silly favour? One of our Christmas traditions is to watch the movie A Christmas Story. We have done it every year. I know there is a long list of movies available to borrow on board. Is there any way you can see if that title is included? Otherwise we will haul a copy with us from Calgary.

Do you also know for sure if the paid cooking classes are running in the CAC? The last 2 HAL cruises we have been on they haven't run for one reason or another. We really want to do one.

Thanks and I look forward to the rest of your reports (especially seeing the scans of Club HAL info and menus.

Bright sunshine poured into my room at 6:10 as the verandah curtains were parted. Room Service arrived precisly at 6:30 AM. Food temperatures were: eggs - 112 degrees, bran muffin - 85 degrees, milt 77 degrees, hash browns - 128 degrees, and bacon - 118 degrees.

There was an increased police boat presence as we approached the port. We began to disembark passengers at exactly 8:00 AM and noticed an increase in police at the port entrance. Terrorism dominated most conversations that I noticed.

My 4 X 4 excursion met just outside the gangway for a leisurely stroll to our three waiting Land Rovers. The vehicles had all of the amenities desired to include an opening sunroof. The driver/guides drove us over back roads to a banana plantation for a comprehensive explanation of the banana operations. We learned that bananas are harvested nine months from the date of planting, washed twice, and a third washing with an agent that prods the bananas to turn yellow. Green bananas are consumed in the Caribbean and taste just fine and need not be withheld from eating until they are yellow. Our Land Rovers took us through eight stream beds on the way to a lookout point where the passengers enjoyed a rum/juice stop. Frequent stops or pictures were made with a final stop at a picnic area near a running stream. I would do this tour again and would consider purchasing a Land Rover after experiencing its off-road performance.

Laundry turned in yesterday morning was returned this morning. The service is not quite as fast as the Noordam but still acceptable.

The MDR was open for lunch on this port day.

Of the three movie channels, all are repeating the same movie throughout the day.

As requested, a DVD of "Christmas Story," starring Peter Billingsley is available at the Front Desk. Each room has a 42-page pamphlet listing all of the available movies by genre.

I am enrolled in a cooking class this week in the CAC,

Club HAL, menus, On Locations, and MDR map will be available as soon as I get to a quicker internet connection.

Dinner at the PG was compliments of CC members John and Sharon and included three orders of Steak Dianne that had been arranged with the PG chef two days ago. The service was excellent and the four of us noted our perfectly-cooked beef. The tomato broth with spicy lemongrass had not lost its zip from the last time I tried it.

The internet connection remains very slow with severl mintes to load each page.

More later.

The last 2 times we were on a Vista ship after we stopped at Soufriere to pickup the people that were on tour the ship just "floated around in the bay" overlooking the Pitons as the sun set and had a big cookout dinner on the aft pool deck. It was great. Did they do that this time?

We were on the Noordam back in 2013 and also experienced the barbeque/cookout on the stern Lido deck around the pool under the Pitons. Beautiful evening with no breeze and very comfortable temps. I really enjoyed it also. We are doing the tour that the ship will be picking us up from Soufriere.

Another bright and sunny day began on the Oosterdam as the stateroom curtains opened at 6:15 AM and breakfast on the veradah started at 6:30. The following temperatures were noted: eggs - 118 degrees, bacon - 125 degrees, milk - 72 degrees, and OJ also 72 degrees.

The wind and waves caused considerable issues with getting the ship tied to the pier as the thrusters ran for about 15 minutes while we were at the dock.

My excursion, Discover Neves, left to walk from the pier to the boat taking us from Basseterre to Neves. The quick-moving boat ride lasted 45 minutes and those seated at the rear tasted some salt spray as we bouned through the waves. A van tour covered historical sites from the 1600's, warm water springs, and a plantation house before dropping us at the Lime restaurant on the beach. Two free drinks preceded either chicken or fish witnd umbrellas before heading back to our boat for the return trip to Basseterre.

Incredibly, on my last three excursions, I have been seated with the same fellow with same model Olympus OMD-EM-1 camera and lens as I have. There have been many minutes of comparing notes about our obscure camera features during bus and boat rides.

Our MDR/Room Service waiter continued to bring Joanie Oragami animals made of folded paper when he delivered our daily appetizers.

AFter nearly an hour of waiting, I was able to purchase four future cruise deposits and discover that Alaska 2017 is now available.

Tonight was Le Cirque night and Joanie reported the escargot a bit more chewy than she remember from our last Le Cirque. Due to a lack of strawberries, for the next few weeks, the strawberry pavlova was not available on the menu. The chocolate souffle was quite a good ending to a nice meal.

My after-dinner entertainment was a Microsoft OneNote class in the Digital Workshop.

I did notice some fraying on my verandah chair cushions last night for those interested ship conditions. A/C remains great. I did a curtains-open and curtains-closed thermal test and noted an eight degree difference in surface temperatures.

The Lido buffet-line folks continue to interact enthusiastically with passengers in a manner that I have not seen on other HAL ships.

Tomorrow, my last excursion day, will be on the Sky Drive in St Thomas and thollowed by some cell phone internet tethering to catch up on email and updating my website with new menus.

More later.

Did I miss something? Where are you posting the menus? Did I miss the website address?

Here is a link to my menus for Specialty Restaurants that I will be updating.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/

I will be creating a new page under the Travel Tab for the Daily MDR and Lido Restaurant menus as well as the On Locations. The same tab will also include a page for Club HAL kids activities in the Caribbean. Stay tuned.

Thanks for your reports.

What were the temperatures of your menu selections in the Pinnacle Grill?

Since food in the PG is cooked to order and there is no delay in delivery to the table, temperature did not seem to be an issue deserving of measurement. CC posts have a history of mentioning less than hot food from Room Service and that was my motivation from bringing the thermometer.

Unfortunately, I have no more PG dinners this cruise.

I am really enjoying your posts. The Oosterdam behind the scenes tour is great on your web site. Is it from this trip? Thanks again. Sightcrr

The photographs were from a previous cruise on the Oosterdam. I will be adding more photographs from a galley tour last week to that page.

Did I miss something? Where are you posting the menus? Did I miss the website address?

Specialty Restaurant have been updated at:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/

Also included is the Main Dining Room Table Maps for Vista-class ships.

On Locations and daily MDR and Lido menus will be posted when I get a better internet connection.

Updated items are marked "Nov 2015"