Tipping porter at the cruise terminal

My opinion has always been......after spending $100's of dollars on a nice cruise why would I want to quibble over a few bucks to the porters who are responsible for getting my bags to the people who load them on the ship??

I personally don't care what they earn.....I just want to happily get on the ship and have fun.

Have been told not to tip the porter at the cruise terminal. There were also signs not to. This was in Ft Lauderdale. Is it the same at Port Canaveral. It was our TA that said tips were not spec ting because they were long shore men.

Any ideas, thank you.

See your identical thread here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2281346

I have never seen the signs, but I wasn't really looking for them, either. We always tip because [1] these guys work so hard and [2] a bit of insurance that our bags will make it on OK. Not like anyone will be dumping bags into the ocean, but I personally would not feel right not tipping. Also, I found the guy who handled our bags at Port Everglades was really nice and polite, unlike the hustlers in Miami a few years ago.

Our cruise was a short one 4 years ago on Liberty, from Ft Lauderdale. When we got off the ship people wanted to grab our bags and take our luggage through customs. There were signs all over stating no tipping allowed. Not sure if I explained my question ok or not but wondered about port Canaveral. And it was our Ontario TA that said do not tip.

When we sailed out of either Miami or Fort Lauderdale about 8 years ago, I handed the porter 6 dollars for our 2 bags. He said, this is what you give the person in charge of your luggage? I was so stunned and pretty intimidated so I just said yes and he looked at me a second and put the bags on the cart. It was an awful way to start the cruise. Looking back and being older and braver I would have handled that quite different today.