Nice jeans for dinner in MDR?

tbmrt

...why is it not reasonable to ask people - even on vacation - to look a bit sharp? That one mystifies me.

Because different people enjoy different things. The majority of people want to be comfortable when on vacation and they feel that formal dressing isn't comfortable or even necessary. If you feel otherwise, you are certainly able to dress formally. It won't affect my cruising experience and my more casual style shouldn't affect yours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 1SGCruiser

Wonder why almost every country club prohibits denim in the resturant after six pm.

Maybe because they are run by elitist fools who are out of touch with modern society.

To be honest I'm not even sure what a country club is. It sounds like the sort of place where Dan Ackroyd went to play squash with his appalling friends in Trading Places.

Wonder why almost every country club prohibits denim in the resturant after six pm.

Country club...vacation...yeah not seeing any difference there. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You know, Celebrity changed the rules. Celebrity owns the ships. Celebrity has a vision of their future. If you don't fit or don't like it it's time quit the complaining and move on. It's done

Edited by Cruise Junky

My fiance has worn jeans in the MDR. I apologize if he has ruined anyone's vacation.

No. Wait. I don't.

On Sunday we're going to dinner at arguably the nicest restaurant in town and getting all dressed up. We will be spending a pretty penny for a dinner that is better than anything I've had on Celebrity - even on formal night - and in an atmosphere that rivals or beats the MDR. Having been to this restaurant before, I can promise you that someone there will have jeans on. Likely multiple someones. However, A. my food will still taste amazing and B. I will still feel beautiful and not at all overdressed.

I've seen a lot of catty and downright MEAN comments directed towards people who dare to wear jeans about how they lack class and ruin people's fun and they should go on something cheaper aka NOT CELEBRITY. Well, then here's something in the same tone right back at those people:

Times have changed. If you don't like that jeans are now an acceptable fashion choice when dressing for a nice meal, then don't go out. Stay at home. Don't go to a restaurant. Don't go on vacation. Your home is the only place that you can control what everyone around you is wearing. Because unless someone invents a time machine to take you back to 1956, chances are jeans are here to stay. So suck it up, buttercup.

Edited by ScarlettMLB

This is my thought on jeans. If you want to wear jeans in a MDR then go on a cheaper cruise line. I work hard to save money to enjoy my cruise and buy nice clothes so I can dress nicely each night and have a fine dining experience. When you wear jeans, you are just ruining it.

No bashing, these are my opinions.

No Bashing just asking a simple question?.

So if some passengers were eating at your table and wearing jeans, does this mean that you would not associate with them?.

Edited by KiwiFunCruiser
Spelling

I was surprised to read this today regarding "designer jeans/jeans that don't have holes, rips or tears".

Did policy change?

I thought all jeans were forbidden in the MDR period.

Maybe you have been sleeping through formal night in the MDR?? zzzz Must have been, my dear, out of touch as usual.

Been Wearing Designer Jeans the last 5 years on Celebrity on formal nights.

No, not going to explain what designer jeans are.......you wouldn't have a clue anyway.

But as Celebrity approves of jeans, no passenger should tell those who like to wear jeans to go elsewhere.

I agree!

A lot posters suggest "Go to the Buffet".

We always like to dress up for dinner anywhere, but we are all guests not the "Clothing Police". It is up to the cruise line to enforce who does and doesn't get into the MDR. I think everyone knows why they don't.

There is an old quote "Don''t judge a book by it's cover".

I agree!

A lot posters suggest "Go to the Buffet".

We always like to dress up for dinner anywhere, but we are all guests not the "Clothing Police". It is up to the cruise line to enforce who does and doesn't get into the MDR. I think everyone knows why they don't.

There is an old quote "Don''t judge a book by it's cover".

+1

I like the way you roll.

+1

I like the way you roll.

Thanks, I usually don't get this wound up!! but with all the terrible things going on in the world today, I can't understand why people have to worry about a trivial thing of what someone wears to a restaurant.

We are all blest that we are all able to go on a cruise, we should all enjoy it as it may be very different in the future.

Take care :)

What the hell as that got to do with the price of eggs! 🤔

Have I missed something here? What has Country Club attire got to do with Celebrity dress code ?

Mr_T I believe you are getting things mixed up . The new policy of charging for eggs at Breakfast will only apply in Luminae & Blu for free range eggs on boat trips departing Miami. There will be very limited supply as they only intend to keep a dozen hens on the lawn club . Anyone wearing an Arsenal top is exempt from the charge.

Have I missed something here? What has Country Club attire got to do with Celebrity dress code ?

Mr_T I believe you are getting things mixed up . The new policy of charging for eggs at Breakfast will only apply in Luminae & Blu for free range eggs on boat trips departing Miami. There will be very limited supply as they only intend to keep a dozen hens on the lawn club . Anyone wearing an Arsenal top is exempt from the charge.

Arsenal? Bah HUMBUG! Man U forever :).

Hank

Just bought a pair of Kirklands today at Costco. $13.99

LOVE IT!!!! Nobody said which 'designer' brand the jeans had to be! LOL :D

Now don't get upset, we find jeans too hot for the Caribbean, so we won't be sporting them in the MDR. Just breathe people, don't sweat the small things! Cruises are too short and too much fun to get all hot and bothered over who wears what, just relax and enjoy! :)

Dianne

My wife and I started cruising 22 years ago on our honeymoon with our first cruise on the Monarch of the Seas. Over the years we have sailed smaller Carnival ships, several larger RC ships, Celebrity’s Solstice and Mercury, and Holland’s Zuiderdam, Nordam, Maasdam, and Osterdam.

On our first cruise, formal night meant seeing lots of tuxedos and formal dresses. And that was on the little Monarch. When we moved up to bigger, nicer ships on Holland and Celebrity, formal night definitely meant tuxedo and formal dresses. We like dressing up. It’s an important part of our cruise experience.

We decided to book the Reflection for December 5 because our most recent cruises have been on smaller Carnival ships. They have an elegant night but it looks more like a hooker’s convention. Nevertheless, these cruises have met our expectations because our expectations were low on those cruises. Our expectations for the Reflection were high, until recently. Not just because of the change to evening chic, but because of the recent negative reviews I’ve seen here on CC. Loud music, no ballroom dancing, mediocre food in the MDR, long wait for embarkation, to mention a few. I wish I had known these things beforehand. I’m sure there are lots of good, even great things on the Reflection, but we’ll miss the dancing before dinner and seeing many men and women in tuxedos and gowns. We’ll still be in formal wear, but expect we’ll be in the minority. But we’ll have a good time just as we did on Carnival because, unfortunately our expectations have been lowered.

We decided to book the Reflection for December 5 because our most recent cruises have been on smaller Carnival ships. They have an elegant night but it looks more like a hooker’s convention. Nevertheless, these cruises have met our expectations because our expectations were low on those cruises.

No worries, Reflection's Formal night will not look like a Hooker's convention even with the recent changes.

A retired Hooker's convention maybe. :D

My husband and I are definately "low maintenance" dressers but we take the opportunity on cruises to step it up a bit. I own the ONE long dress (not a gown but a long sundress) and he owns the ONE khaki colored linen suit that he dresses down with a white tshirt-style shirt. We feel like we are going to prom when we don our formal night clothes :D

We live in jeans, tshirts and scrubs so we don't bring those along but most nights you can find us in nice slacks and blouses, he in a casual shirt but usually accompanied by a sport jacket, myself in capris, a nice tank, and heels. It feels good to make an effort to look nice. Now, would I spend the $$ in the spa having my nails done and an up-do, no. Well, maybe, if I had that kind of $$ LOL.

Do I think passengers should make an effort. Hell, yes. Do I expect others in a gown or jacket, no. But if you really want casual, like shorts, jean and tshirt with flip flop casual, IMHO that is buffet night. If you can't take the 20 minutes to look like you are going out for dinner, don't. FWIW, I don't care about jeans either way, its how they present. Nice, clean, well-fitting jeans are a step up....ill-fitting, wrinkled khaki shorts with a button-down shirt, maybe not so much.

This is my thought on jeans. If you want to wear jeans in a MDR then go on a cheaper cruise line. I work hard to save money to enjoy my cruise and buy nice clothes so I can dress nicely each night and have a fine dining experience. When you wear jeans, you are just ruining it.

No bashing, these are my opinions.

No bashing, nice jeans and a polo, or a sport jacket are perfectly acceptable to most people.:)

...Do I think passengers should make an effort. Hell, yes. Do I expect others in a gown or jacket, no. But if you really want casual, like shorts, jean and tshirt with flip flop casual, IMHO that is buffet night. If you can't take the 20 minutes to look like you are going out for dinner, don't. FWIW, I don't care about jeans either way, its how they present. Nice, clean, well-fitting jeans are a step up....ill-fitting, wrinkled khaki shorts with a button-down shirt, maybe not so much.

Nothing you mention is within the guidelines for mdr. (I guess "Jean" is.) Otherwise everything else you mention is not allowed. I'm not sure if you are serious or just trying to be dramatic for effect, but don't think we need any more misinformation of dress code policies.