First Celebrity Cruise

Swampbabe

My husband and I are taking our first Celebrity cruise this spring, so naturally I have been perusing these boards to get a "feel" for the cruise. I must say, I'm a bit apprehensive now after reading so many posts coming from seriously grumpy passengers. I know that most don't post here but I don't want to spend my hard earned money on the same ship as some of these folks. So tell me, what do you LIKE about Celebrity?

My husband and I are taking our first Celebrity cruise this spring, so naturally I have been perusing these boards to get a "feel" for the cruise. I must say, I'm a bit apprehensive now after reading so many posts coming from seriously grumpy passengers. I know that most don't post here but I don't want to spend my hard earned money on the same ship as some of these folks. So tell me, what do you LIKE about Celebrity?

Before we took our first cruise over five years ago, I had the same experience.

The negative comments tend to stand out while the positive comments are not always mentioned or just not noticed as much.

I think if you read 10 reviews of the same cruise, you will find at least one person loved the cruise and gave it a top rating, then at least another gave it a poor rating.

We have found that the general Celebrity passenger is well traveled, intelligent and not prone to wild or erratic behavior.

We have found Celebrity to be consistent in providing excellent service, excellent food with well designed ships that are in good shape (even the older ships).

Firstly there are a lot of posters on here that are not happy unless they are complaining about something... As the saying goes bad news sells & gets noticed at lot more then good news...

We have done 6 previous celebrity cruises over the last 3 years and must say thoroughly enjoyed each & everyone to the same level... Yes the weather was better on some Vs others but as a cruise experience they have all been great...

Last year we decided to try another line and opted for the brand new NCL Escape transatlantic cruise to see the difference and see if what we were reading about the decline in celebrity stood out after experiencing a new ship on the block... I can honestly say although we enjoyed the NCL cruise I don't think it's something we need to consider doing again for some time... What it did was reaffirm that celebrity are in fact on another level and by some distance in most areas... Least of all service...

So for us in our opinion you have nothing to worry about and I'm more then sure you will have a great cruise... [emoji4]

No worries! For as long as I have participated in this forum, there has been a fair amount of "Negative Nancy". We take a cruise on average of 2 times a year, and we always have a blast! Sure, there have been changes, but we don't mind a little loud music on vacation or a simplified dress code.... we have met and made lifelong friends on board and find that most everyone we encounter is very pleasant and having a great time! Funny, the only time I ran into the grumpy grouchy people was at a cruise critic connections party and they had the same complaints that day as they usually do on here.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I think a lot of the "grumpy" comments are coming from long time Celebrity cruisers who are reacting to changes Celebrity is making without giving complete information. For example, they are changing some of the suite perks such as free specialty dining, which is their right, but they did not make it clear for about a week that the change would not affect existing bookings. I know I've had some negative posts but Celebrity is my line of choice and I will cruise in March with a positive attitude.

Cruise Critics is a microcosm of the sailing public and we do express ourselves. :D

We have been on 11 Celebrity cruises and reading these boards could cause anyone to wonder if they made a bad choice. We have loved every one of our cruises and have 5 more booked.

Don't worry you will find that the complaints on these boards are from a very small percent of the passengers.

Enjoy your cruise!

Don't worry about the grumpies on the board, just do what you want, enjoy the cruise, believe it or not, most people on the ship will have never heard of cruise critic or care to.

We just took our first celebrity cruise last spring and loved it, the relaxed ambiance is a nice change from carnival

Echoing what was said above, but I will add that maybe only 8-10% of cruisers even know what Cruise Critic is. This was discussed on another thread I'm too lazy to find. Point is, you're reading info from less than 10% of the people who cruise. And, human nature being what it is, people who have something negative to say feel like they are protecting the rest of us from making a mistake. While people who have positive things aren't as motivated to write. I have only had one bad cruise out of 17 and that was on Carnival. All the rest of them I'd do again in a heartbeat.

Read here often and you will see that most of the negtive posts come from the same people. And ditto for the 'Celebrity can do no wrong' folks.

Most of us have a good cruise. Attitude is a big factor.

btw, we used to sail HAL and imo it's that board that has the resident grumpies.

Though the past week here has set a new low.

My husband and I have been cruising for 30 years plus. We've sailed on several different lines and have loved each and every cruise. Some of those first ones were on really small ships. Our top choice is Celebrity (although price and itinerary come into the decision making when we look at the options). Celebrity has been very good to us and we truly appreciate it. I agree with the others who replied; people like to vent their complaints but most will tell you they still had a great time. There is always something you can find that isn't perfect. Ignore the negative, I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.

Sounds good. We are really looking forward to it as my college roommate and her husband are joining us. One post that caught my eye was the "if you're over 50..." I'm over 50 but very young at heart. I'm a high school teacher so my students keep me on my toes with music, dances, etc. I thought I might be cruising with Lawrence Welk!

We've sailed NCL, RCCL, and Carnival and we are looking for a more upscale experience. Hairy chest contest, NOT

Edited by Swampbabe

I'll be going on my 2nd cruise next week and chose Celebrity again because the service was great, the people that worked aboard were friendly and down to earth, the food was great, the ship was in great condition, lots to do, lots of entertainment options, enjoyed the itinerary, etc. While there was room for improvement in some small areas I didn't hesitate to book again with Celebrity especially with the promotion they had running earlier in the year.

Take little notice of the 'seriously grumpy' posters on here. Been on a few Cel. boat trips and only met a few peoples who seemed to be professional moaners. Conversely we have met and befriended many many passengers who were on the cruise to enjoy their experience.

Actually some of the moaners are quite amusing really. I have to laugh at anyone who can loudly complain about malfunctioning priority tendering or fractured egg yolks.:)

Edited by LA_Design

Read here often and you will see that most of the negtive posts come from the same people. And ditto for the 'Celebrity can do no wrong' folks.

Most of us have a good cruise. Attitude is a big factor.

btw, we used to sail HAL and imo it's that board that has the resident grumpies.

Though the past week here has set a new low.

I absolutely agree regarding the HAL board.

I've been on Cruise Critic since 1999. As the popularity of cruising as a vacation choice has grown changes to the style of cruising and to the ships themselves (when did 70 grt become a small ship?) has changed too. So have the voices of the experienced cruisers.

Expect a great cruise, you'll most likely get one. ENJOY!