Taking food on debarkation

prettyblue2

In case you are wondering about the reason for not allowing unpackaged food into a country, it is to prevent the spread of agricultural pests and disease. Every country in the world has rules against it.

Of course, much of the produce you buy at the grocery store has been imported. But, it is carefully inspected by Dept. of Agriculture inspectors before it is allowed into the country. They are particularity interested in agricultural pests. Years ago, someone illegally brought in some fruit infected with medfly larvae into California. This ended up costing the agricultural industry billions of dollars.

So they don't take any chances - they just don't allow individuals to bring in anything, even though 99.999% would be perfectly safe.

Savvy travelers carry an empty bottle through airport security and then fill it from a fountain.

Some airports I've been through now have actual bottle filling stations co-located with the drinking fountain.

MK-CB858_Water__DV_20130324173445.jpg

Savvy? Really?

Public water fountains? I wonder how often that water is tested/how many germs get passed through those things. Not for me but if it works for someone else, great. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Savvy? Really?

Public water fountains? I wonder how often that water is tested/how many germs get passed through those things. Not for me but if it works for someone else, great. :)

Tap water is subject to constant testing by health authorities. Bottled water is not. Tap water has additives such as chloramine to deter micro-organisms, bottled water does not (which is why tap water doesn't taste as good.) I would be very leery of bottled water from an unknown brand - especially if it is sold in an underdeveloped country.

I should clarify - I am talking about U.S. tap water.

Edited by Tom O.

Tap water is subject to constant testing by health authorities. Bottled water is not. Tap water has additives such as chloramine to deter micro-organisms, bottled water does not (which is why tap water doesn't taste as good.) I would be very leery of bottled water from an unknown brand - especially if it is sold in an underdeveloped country.

I should clarify - I am talking about U.S. tap water.

So you'd drink tap water in an underdeveloped country:eek:? I'll take bottled water any day.

Are we truly having a lengthy discussion about whether someone is so 'savvy' (I love that word in this context :D) carrying an empty water bottle rather than be a real sport and spend a dollar or two if they really want that bottle after they have passed through airport security? Is this a who is more sophisticated contest? :D

Not everyone has to have a bottle tucked in their hand every waking moment.

Edited by sail7seas

So you'd drink tap water in an underdeveloped country:eek:? I'll take bottled water any day.

I didn't make myself clear. What I wanted to say is that in the US tap water is safe, probably safer than bottled water.

I would never drink tap water in an underdeveloped country, but what I was trying to say is, that bottled water in an underdeveloped country is risky too.

Savvy? Really?

How often is bottled water tested? And how many creatures have crawled all over those bottles along the way?

Are we truly having a lengthy discussion about whether someone is so 'savvy'

I posted what I thought would be a helpful tip as I've traveled frequently for work. I'm unsure why some had to chime in with their phobia-driven comments.

Perhaps I erred in assuming the reader would be smart enough to know whether they were or were not in a developed nation. I believe that has been clarified.

I posted what I thought would be a helpful tip as I've traveled frequently for work. I'm unsure why some had to chime in with their phobia-driven comments.

Perhaps I erred in assuming the reader would be smart enough to know whether they were or were not in a developed nation. I believe that has been clarified.

It think most people would be wise enough to understand they can fill an empty bottle after security if they choose. I don't think that's considered a sign of being savvy or not. I don't think it takes extensive travel to figure that out. I didn't realize it wasn't ok to give an opinion.

Edited by cruz chic

Our flight home leaves at 3:45 pm. Am I allowed to take an apple and snack off the ship?

Just sayin': If we think we may want some thing to eat sometime on the vacation we pack a box or 2 of granola bars:

chewy_granola_bars.png?sfvrsn=1

We've taken them on the ship (in our luggage) and off the ship during disembarkation to eat at the airport too; and never had any problems with them.

I didn't make myself clear. What I wanted to say is that in the US tap water is safe, probably safer than bottled water.

I would never drink tap water in an underdeveloped country, but what I was trying to say is, that bottled water in an underdeveloped country is risky too.

There is a big difference (in my mind) between a public water bubbler in an airport or the tap water in my home. My community has great tap water and I rarely use bottled water around my home but I don't go near any water bubbler anywhere.

There are probably people on this forum who didn't know that there are now water fountains with bottle fillers in the airports as it is a relatively new concept, so the tip will be appreciated. My DH just flew out on a redeye and there was nowhere open at the airport to purchase a bottle of water so that's one instance where an empty bottle would have come in handy.;)

Does anyone know why coffee (brewed, not beans) would be prohibited? We've often picked up a coffee before heading ashore and have never been challenged. Not during disembarkation, but including US ports of call. I've googled the topic and see no prohibitions.

I have seen people stopped from taking coffee off of Princess ships in Alaska. I think Alaska must have pretty strict rules.

You'd think that someone from a state with a substantial agricultural industry, would understand the importance of avoiding unwanted hitchhikers.

I find it hard to understand that any person anywhere doesn't grasp that rather simple concept.

Does anyone know why coffee (brewed, not beans) would be prohibited? We've often picked up a coffee before heading ashore and have never been challenged. Not during disembarkation, but including US ports of call. I've googled the topic and see no prohibitions.

I don't know why it's not allowed. Last year I was forced to leave behind a large cup of special tea purchased on board. I could either leave it behind or swig it down (too hot!!). So I left it behind.

I have taken EMPTY water bottles through security. After the security check I will go to the water fountain and fill it up and add Crystal Lite or instant tea to flavor it.