Dress code Grande Dining Room Anthem OTS

ecormier

We are planning a cruise on the Anthem and were reading about the dining options. It is stated that the Grande restaurant requires formal dress.

On formal nights on other RCI ships, we have seen everything from shorts to tuxedos in the main dining rooms.

Would my husband be out of place, or even permitted to enter, the Grande without at least a jacket?

I would appreciate any information you can give me regarding this question.

Regards, Betty

We are planning a cruise on the Anthem and were reading about the dining options. It is stated that the Grande restaurant requires formal dress.

On formal nights on other RCI ships, we have seen everything from shorts to tuxedos in the main dining rooms.

Would my husband be out of place, or even permitted to enter, the Grande without at least a jacket?

I would appreciate any information you can give me regarding this question.

Regards, Betty

The concept is that they removed formal night from these ships, and replaced it with the formal restaurant. This is not the MDR, but a special place set aside for those that want to enjoy it. Wearing anything else, defeats the concept. Jackets are provided to those that insist, but seriously, with all the choices, there is no real need to use this place if you feel that you don't want to dress up.

I personally planning on traveling on one of these ships, next year, and I love the idea that I will not need to bring a suit with me. I do enjoy formal nights, but this is a win win for everyone. You can decide prior the cruise. The ship has so many choices, that I won't be able to eat at them all, so I chose not to bring my finest, and skip this place.

The concept is that they removed formal night from these ships, and replaced it with the formal restaurant. This is not the MDR, but a special place set aside for those that want to enjoy it. Wearing anything else, defeats the concept. Jackets are provided to those that insist, but seriously, with all the choices, there is no real need to use this place if you feel that you don't want to dress up.

I personally planning on traveling on one of these ships, next year, and I love the idea that I will not need to bring a suit with me. I do enjoy formal nights, but this is a win win for everyone. You can decide prior the cruise. The ship has so many choices, that I won't be able to eat at them all, so I chose not to bring my finest, and skip this place.

I must disagree with you, The Grande is nothing more than one of four main dining rooms. The menu is not particularly special. The service was rushed and lousy. We dressed up with a tux and cocktail dress and were in the minority. We saw only the couple next to us dressed similarly and everyone else in varying degrees of technically inappropriate dress. So why put pressure on yourself to dress up, or miss the venue, only to go there and find others in jeans, shorts, etc? There is no reason for anyone to skip it because they don't want to wear a suit or tux. Let's face it, these days on cruises they try to have dress codes and many people simply refuse to abide by them, and they are typically not enforced. It's the age we're living in, people want to be casual and I would not be surprised if Royal eventually does away with the stupid dress code at The Grande once they realize it's a losing battle.

I must disagree with you, The Grande is nothing more than one of four main dining rooms. The menu is not particularly special. The service was rushed and lousy. We dressed up with a tux and cocktail dress and were in the minority. We saw only the couple next to us dressed similarly and everyone else in varying degrees of technically inappropriate dress. So why put pressure on yourself to dress up, or miss the venue, only to go there and find others in jeans, shorts, etc? There is no reason for anyone to skip it because they don't want to wear a suit or tux. Let's face it, these days on cruises they try to have dress codes and many people simply refuse to abide by them, and they are typically not enforced. It's the age we're living in, people want to be casual and I would not be surprised if Royal eventually does away with the stupid dress code at The Grande once they realize it's a losing battle.

I find this both disappointing and surprising. I would certainly be speaking to a senior member of staff to express my disappointment if I dined at the grande and found fellow diners wearing shorts.

Yes some people do want to be casual, which is absolutely fine, and that is why they are not forced to use this venue. There are many other venues available that do not require formal dress.

We are on board now and have eaten at the Grande twice. First night, dress code was relaxed and few were dressed up. Last night jackets were required and many people were very dressed including quite a few gowns and tuxedos.

Our server was wonderful but the dining room as a whole was understaffed for things like water refills, ordering drinks.

We found the food to be excellent. The lobster tails were really great. The mushroom risotto app a stand out and a few other entrees like duck and lamb also excellent.

Regardless of what people do, the cruise line is designating this a "formal venue." I believe you did the right thing and dressed up, however people need to stop this nonsense of expressly going with no regard to the rules. There are plenty of other restaurants to go to. Yes, it may be nothing special (I will decide for myself next year) however the cruise line designated it this way. If they designated a closet formal attire, people should put on formal attire if they want to go in said closet.

The nerve of people to expressly disregard the rules is outstanding. Quite frankly I'm really tired of seeing this on cruises - it makes it a lot less enjoyable. And yes - it can be said to ignore these people or make the most of your cruise yourself, or why are you worrying about it. But it still stands.

Why is is a losing battle. They created the concept based on customer feedback. A separate place for those that want to dress up. I honestly don't see the issue with something like this. If you want to dress up, and be around others dressed up, than you go to this place. The idea is not to have better food, but a better atmosphere. If you have better food, than everyone will want to go. That is not the draw point. The draw for the location is the dress code.

The real issue is no matter what you do, you will not please everyone. I will chose not to bring my suit on an International trip, and will be perfectly content with that chose, and let those that want to dress, go and enjoy.

Regardless of what people do, the cruise line is designating this a "formal venue." I believe you did the right thing and dressed up, however people need to stop this nonsense of expressly going with no regard to the rules. There are plenty of other restaurants to go to. Yes, it may be nothing special (I will decide for myself next year) however the cruise line designated it this way. If they designated a closet formal attire, people should put on formal attire if they want to go in said closet.

The nerve of people to expressly disregard the rules is outstanding. Quite frankly I'm really tired of seeing this on cruises - it makes it a lot less enjoyable. And yes - it can be said to ignore these people or make the most of your cruise yourself, or why are you worrying about it. But it still stands.

Hey I'm with you on this. No one loves to dress up more than me. I dress very well every night of a cruise, regardless of where I'm eating, simply because I like to and I want to feel I'm in an elegant and sophisticated environment. (My everyday life is quite casual so perhaps that affects my attitude.) It is always somewhat disappointing to me to be surrounded by others who are not respecting the requested dress code. However I've come to understand that many people do not enjoy dressing up as I do (like if I took my parents on a cruise, they'd rather die than dress formally yet they're very much foodies and would want to try the finest restaurants they could) and they should still be entitled to enjoy their cruise and all its included venues, they have paid for it after all. I'm not sure what Royal was thinking with having one restaurant always formal, it makes people who don't want to dress up and still respect the rules to feel they won't be able to try it and that will suck for people who don't want to pay for the upcharge restaurants. Not sure what the solution is but one thing I continuously see as I keep cruising is that people are getting more and more casual all the time. The major problem for me is that the Grande needs some work to warrant a tux! Others on the same cruise had a much better experience than we did so chances are good that you'll have a fine time.

Why is is a losing battle. They created the concept based on customer feedback. A separate place for those that want to dress up. I honestly don't see the issue with something like this. If you want to dress up, and be around others dressed up, than you go to this place. The idea is not to have better food, but a better atmosphere. If you have better food, than everyone will want to go. That is not the draw point. The draw for the location is the dress code.

The real issue is no matter what you do, you will not please everyone. I will chose not to bring my suit on an International trip, and will be perfectly content with that chose, and let those that want to dress, go and enjoy.

I used the term losing battle because we were there dressed in our finest and people sauntered by in jeans, short, sneakers. We were like what the hell, why did we bother? I agree there's no pleasing everyone. But at the end of the day it's all good. We had a great cruise. I was just trying to let people know the reality of what's going on in the Grande vs. what they state online at RC's website. They can then make their own decision if they want to obey the dress code or be more casual, as many are.

We went with a group of friends to the Grande on quantum in formal dress. Our service was quite good. It wasn't like a five star dining experience as far as the food, but I thought it was fine. I would say think formal attire large dinner such as say a wedding or company awards banquet. It was beautifully decorated and we did get some wonderful pictures. At least on our visit most of the people in our part of the dining area were pretty dressed up. We did see some men in suits and ladies in short cocktail dresses. Probably depends on the cruise somewhat.

Edited by TravelinGert

Please-just one of many rules/suggestions that are not followed and even told so to do here.

Get used to Royal not enforcing its own rules so why should all follow them.

Below is just one current thread as an example:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2283428

Would you adhere to a time to board???

Does everyone follow the rule to not bring soda or waiter on?

Does everyone follow the rule not to save pool chairs?

Does everyone follow the rule not to save theater seats??

So yes, guess we all should learn to "ignore these people or make the most of your cruise yourself." Control what you can control. That's yourself and not others. ;)

Please-just one of many rules/suggestions that are not followed and even told so to do here.

Get used to Royal not enforcing its own rules so why should all follow them.

Below is just one current thread as an example:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2283428

Would you adhere to a time to board???

Does everyone follow the rule to not bring soda or waiter on?

Does everyone follow the rule not to save pool chairs?

Does everyone follow the rule not to save theater seats??

So yes, guess we all should learn to "ignore these people or make the most of your cruise yourself." Control what you can control. That's yourself and not others. ;)

That's exactly the kind of attitude that perpetuates this nonsense.

"Get used to Royal not enforcing its own rules so why should all follow them."

Really?

That's exactly the kind of attitude that perpetuates this nonsense.

"Get used to Royal not enforcing its own rules so why should all follow them."

Really?

It's preached here on a daily basis what rules to follow and what ones to ignore.

My favorite statement here was, and I quote.......'a rule is only a rule if its enforced'.

Again-would you follow a boarding time if e-mailed to you.? Be truthful now!!:p

regardless of what people do, the cruise line is designating this a "formal venue." i believe you did the right thing and dressed up, however people need to stop this nonsense of expressly going with no regard to the rules. There are plenty of other restaurants to go to. Yes, it may be nothing special (i will decide for myself next year) however the cruise line designated it this way. If they designated a closet formal attire, people should put on formal attire if they want to go in said closet.

The nerve of people to expressly disregard the rules is outstanding. Quite frankly i'm really tired of seeing this on cruises - it makes it a lot less enjoyable. And yes - it can be said to ignore these people or make the most of your cruise yourself, or why are you worrying about it. But it still stands.

like!

regardless of what people do, the cruise line is designating this a "formal venue." i believe you did the right thing and dressed up, however people need to stop this nonsense of expressly going with no regard to the rules. There are plenty of other restaurants to go to. Yes, it may be nothing special (i will decide for myself next year) however the cruise line designated it this way. If they designated a closet formal attire, people should put on formal attire if they want to go in said closet.

double post - sorry

Edited by Sascol

Yes, Biker, lots of formal dress threads.

Before the Quantum was built, the formal threads were a little different. The most common suggestion posted on here at Cruise Critic was:

The ships have multiple level-dining rooms. Why not just make one level/one section formal/non-formal, and let everyone choose where they want to eat/how they want to dress?

So, Royal Caribbean listened. Quantum and Anthem were built with FOUR main dining rooms. ONE is formal.

And still, people want to push that boundary.

In light of the described situation, I think that it is rude, disrespectful and WRONG to choose to eat in the Grande without dressing appropriately.

My not so humble opinion.

We were on Quantum twice last year and had dinner in Grande several times. The vast majority of people were dressed according to the dress code. The food and service were excellent. Going on Anthem on Monday and I will check iout folks in Grande to see how they are dressed. Just my opinion, but I think an older demographic on a ship tends to have more folks following the stated dress code. Katherine

Yes, Biker, lots of formal dress threads.

Before the Quantum was built, the formal threads were a little different. The most common suggestion posted on here at Cruise Critic was:

The ships have multiple level-dining rooms. Why not just make one level/one section formal/non-formal, and let everyone choose where they want to eat/how they want to dress?

So, Royal Caribbean listened. Quantum and Anthem were built with FOUR main dining rooms. ONE is formal.

And still, people want to push that boundary.

In light of the described situation, I think that it is rude, disrespectful and WRONG to choose to eat in the Grande without dressing appropriately.

My not so humble opinion.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, Merion Mom.

If the dress code says formal, I would never dare enter into the venue with anything less than that. Shame on Royal for not enforcing it. On ships with a ship-wide formal night in one MDR, I understand Royal's decision to let casual dress slide because its the only non-pay sit down restaurant (so they don't upset too many customers). But there is absolutely no excuse to let anyone enter the Grande, which you go to by choice, without formal attire.

• 2 weeks later...

On our first (and last) Carnival cruise on Glory, we were waiting for formal night to open in the MDR. The majority of us were dressed to the nines. But one guy wearing shorts and crocs stood next to me....his wife was wearing crocs too!

That's just ONE of the reasons we came back to RCL! We enjoy dressing up and looking forward to a formal night and I think the new Grande approach on the Quantum class ships is a brilliant idea; it reduces stress for cruisers as they don't have to dress up (and shouldn't be allowed in the Grande unless they abide by the rules).