Norwegian nickel and diming claim?

motleyfan

I agree that all companies must have a source of revenue streams to earn money.. it is really how you do it, and marketing has to be creative enough to do it in such a way it will turn off the least people, because it will affect your brand equity which is the overall worth of your brand.

Like for example, the free UDP freestyle choice, I agree initially it is a very good marketing move by NCL to offer it completely free.. because psychologically, when you say "free", people's mindset is, it is completely free so gratuities should be included.

Then suddenly, NCL began adding gratuity charges when it started as completely free, now the effect of this negative change is worse here than if NCL charged for gratuity the first time it introduced the UDP. I recall many got surprised when a gratuity charge began appearing in their reservation when they select UDP as freestyle choice.

Running the same promo, RCCL's Celebrity did it correctly and tactfully. They offered the middle tier Classic Beverage Package completely free, meaning gratuities included BUT, if you want to upgrade to Premium Beverage Package, you pay for the price difference PLUS 18% gratuity.

Now this is a better marketing strategy which will not turn off many people, as people will say.. "Fair enough".. since I actually paid the difference because I purposely want to upgrade, so it is ok that I'll be charged gratuity on that portion that is not free. But the portion up to the price of classic beverage package is completely given free (gratuities included).

See the difference between the 2 marketing approaches?

I recall reading an article somewhere in CC comparing the various cruise line, the article is correct in saying that RCCL has better marketing strategies than NCL. That is why RCCL has a solid base of loyal members.

I will give you that. RCCL does have a tight grip on their marketing strategy. They have definitely gained a loyal following among those who appreciate style over substance.

Speaking of which, one of your fellow RCCL devotees, calling themselves a "Royal Loyalist" has a review of their Escape cruise available (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2280258).

Perhaps you could pop over there and ask them how they can sail the Escape, yet still consider themselves to be "Loyal".

I think these people are either relatively new to cruising (maybe within the last 10 years or so), or really are that naive to think all of these changes are "normal".

They don't need to be normal for me not to be bothered or affected by them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dynamic Dining is not nickle and diming related as it is free, it is just an innovation but an operational/implementation failure. It's a new concept, but did not work the way they wanted... so they are trying to change it either to rotational dining on Quantum Classes or completely remove it on Oasis class ships.

Charging for WOW bands in Anthem did not raise as much howl or violent reactions for us compared to the changes NCL have been implemented because the way it has been marketed.

Recall when they introduced the WOW bands for the first time, RCCL said that it is optional and guest will be charged for it... then they finally decided to offer it for free to promote it.. and now they are just going back to the initial plan..

Again this is marketing, had they offered it for free for the first time then began charging for it.. it will get more negative reactions, than initially introducing it as charged, then waiving the charge temporarily to promote it, then bringing it back.

but WOW bands are still free in Quantum, and we can live without it.. it is OPTIONAL, like alternative dining.. as sea-pass cards work. So we didn't cry nickle and diming with the WOW bands in anthem.. since we can just opt not to purchase them.

One might argue that room service is also optional... yes.. but guest have been psychologically accustomed to room service being free in the cruise industry standard.. so with NCL charging for it, while rivals still not charging for it, can raise eyebrows.

Same with the reverse Nickle and Diming strategy, they first introduced celebrity chef resto Devinly Decadence in Quantum as charged... then made it free... so imaging the positive response it generated.

Cruise lines are all for profit and their purpose is to make money... it is how you market things that spells the difference.

Dynamic Dining can hardly be considered to be an innovation.

Multiple smaller included dining rooms, no set dining times, no assigned seats/tablemates, and no formal nights . . . certainly not anything that is either new or innovative.

Edited by SeaShark

I will give you that. RCCL does have a tight grip on their marketing strategy. They have definitely gained a loyal following among those who appreciate style over substance.

Speaking of which, one of your fellow RCCL devotees, calling themselves a "Royal Loyalist" has a review of their Escape cruise available (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2280258).

Perhaps you could pop over there and ask them how they can sail the Escape, yet still consider themselves to be "Loyal".

Please give NCL some break/slack here as Escape is a new ship.... remember RCCL's Quantum of the Seas, when it was new just like Escape, has a lot of bad reviews as well!!!

I have my own bad experiences in Quantum as well.

Every thing new has birth pains...

I agree that all companies must have a source of revenue streams to earn money.. it is really how you do it, and marketing has to be creative enough to do it in such a way it will turn off the least people, because it will affect your brand equity which is the overall worth of your brand.

Like for example, the free UDP freestyle choice, I agree initially it is a very good marketing move by NCL to offer it completely free.. because psychologically, when you say "free", people's mindset is, it is completely free so gratuities should be included.

Then suddenly, NCL began adding gratuity charges when it started as completely free, now the effect of this negative change is worse here than if NCL charged for gratuity the first time it introduced the UDP. I recall many got surprised when a gratuity charge began appearing in their reservation when they select UDP as freestyle choice.

Running the same promo, RCCL's Celebrity did it correctly and tactfully. They offered the middle tier Classic Beverage Package completely free, meaning gratuities included BUT, if you want to upgrade to Premium Beverage Package, you pay for the price difference PLUS 18% gratuity.

Now this is a better marketing strategy which will not turn off many people, as people will say.. "Fair enough".. since I actually paid the difference because I purposely want to upgrade, so it is ok that I'll be charged gratuity on that portion that is not free. But the portion up to the price of classic beverage package is completely given free (gratuities included).

See the difference between the 2 marketing approaches?

I recall reading an article somewhere in CC comparing the various cruise line, the article is correct in saying that RCCL has better marketing strategies than NCL. That is why RCCL has a solid base of loyal members.

Excellent post. I agree completely. What the vocal minority of corporate apologists fail to understand is how NCL goes about the timing, messaging and marketing the price increases is what causes so much of the consternation.

It has become blatantly clear Del Rio will succeed in achieving his promised doubling of profits by 2017. Good for him. His stock options should do well. But he goes about marketing in such an inept fashion. His marketing gimmicks of raising cruise prices and then offering “free” beverages and dining gave a perception of value. Based on the reaction on this board it was a marketing success. But then out of the blue with no notice he tacks on an arbitrary service fee for the packages that caused some ill will for many loyal cruisers. He should have implemented the UBP service charge from the beginning or left it free. If he would have advertised Margaritaville as a pay option from the beginning the cruising public would have accepted it just as they accepted the Food Republic. Instead he ineptly advertised it complimentary then without notice changed it to a fee based restaurant. Obviously no one at NCL did their due diligence and studied Margaritaville’s popularity. With Del Rio in his zeal to double profits in less than two years he needs to hire some marketing gurus that can help save him from himself.

The Main dinning room never should have at an additional cost food items on the menu.

Room service was free up until a 5 months or so.....nickle and diming at its finest.

The two increases of the DSC is an obvious nickle and diming....can not say it's not. To say prepay your gratuities ...that is like given NCL and interest free loan....they make even more money by the way!

You also forgot the 20% increase in gratuities on every thing....from 15% to 18%

To answer the OP.....yes they are nickle and diming costomers...

I guess we will have to agree to disagree since to me "nickle and diming" is charging for things over which you have no choice and must use. For example if NCL charged for your cabin key or charged to use the bathroom or had a charge simply to enter the MDR, buffet, O'Sheehans. That would be nickle and diming.

But to charge for things you don't have to use, that were once free or less cost,

that is part of the increase in overall economics. I might not like it but c'est la vie.

Excellent post. I agree completely. What the vocal minority of corporate apologists fail to understand is how NCL goes about the timing, messaging and marketing the price increases is what causes so much of the consternation.

It has become blatantly clear Del Rio will succeed in achieving his promised doubling of profits by 2017. Good for him. His stock options should do well. But he goes about marketing in such an inept fashion. His marketing gimmicks of raising cruise prices and then offering “free” beverages and dining gave a perception of value. Based on the reaction on this board it was a marketing success. But then out of the blue with no notice he tacks on an arbitrary service fee for the packages that caused some ill will for many loyal cruisers. He should have implemented the UBP service charge from the beginning or left it free. If he would have advertised Margaritaville as a pay option from the beginning the cruising public would have accepted it just as they accepted the Food Republic. Instead he ineptly advertised it complimentary then without notice changed it to a fee based restaurant. Obviously no one at NCL did their due diligence and studied Margaritaville’s popularity. With Del Rio in his zeal to double profits in less than two years he needs to hire some marketing gurus that can help save him from himself.

Well said. What company markets something as included and then takes it away? Very poor marketing and customer service.

Even though my most recent Cruise was my third with Norwegian all the nickel and diming claims still worry me occasionally. So I went on this cruise being mindful of everything. I can now say with full confidence that Norwegian does not nickel and dime anyone. They simply offer extra services at a charge, don't want to pay extra guess what you don't have to. Your cruise will be as cheap or expensive on board as you choose it to be. In full disclosure yes I had $150 onboard credit and sends the snow room wasn't working they gave me an extra hundred onboard credit but I also didn't go hog wild in fact I still had onboard credit when I left the ship so I didn't even spend it all. Anyone have any stories they view as nickel and diming? Anyone have any other opinions?

You are right. You can't be nicked and dime for buying optional services.

Whether we like it or not, the recent CEO of NCL has gave a bad impression to NCL as a nickle and diming cruise line, especially when they started charging for room service... but these are based from what I have read.

But now I have a personal example of one recent instance of nickle and diming that made me booked Alaska with Celebrity instead of NCL as I have long planned before.

I already hit Diamond with RCCL this year and just few points away of achieving platinum status with NCL, so normally I would cruised more NCL to became Platinum to let my status with NCL catch up with RCCL.

And for Alaska, I always sail NCL over RCCL and X as NCL has better sailing route than X Solstice or RCCL and NCL goes to Glacier bay while all ship's under RCCL/X has no permits...

That until this nickle and diming strategy turned me off: particularly the beverage package, until middle of this year, it is what I used to think that what is given free should be totally free. Image the major turn off I when I found out you now have to pay for the gratuities if you got the UBP for free.

Second I used to love the initial "paid" UBP when it includes the special dinner time show on the first day as part of the package.. but now it is gone...

Some other instances:

the shore excursion credit used to be $75 for 4 ports excluding turnaround ports for ocean view and up, now it is $50 for all stateroom categories.

the freestyle UDP used to be for the entire sailing, now reduced to certain number of days....

Then here comes Celebrity.. in addition to having the coolest ship, Solstice class sailing Alaska (but less ideal sailing route and goes to Tracy Arm instead of Glacier Bay), their prices being a premium cruise line became at par with NCL for Alaska (which is a mass market line) in insides while even cheaper than NCL for balcony staterooms which is a must for Alaska....

The deal breaker is their 123Go pick 2 promo is vastly superior than NCL.

1. Their free classic beverage includes gratuities vs NCL where it is not

2. They have $300 OBC to spend anywhere vs only $200 for NCL severely restricted to $50 per port up to 4 port and excludes turnaround ports

3. Celebrity gives unlimited internet vs just 250 mins for NCL

So between the 2 cruise lines.... whose perks will you choose?

For me, never mind if X doesn't go to Glacier Bay, been already there 2X, as I cruise Alaska often.

Hi! I am actually waiting until December 4 to book the X Solstice for an August 2017 cruise to Alaska. I saw they have 600sf family balconies for the price of regular balconies with living room, separated king, and separated bunk area for kids. My husband will be 50, I will be 48 and my boys will be 16 and 14 at the time.

I am reading good things about Celebrity - can I ask you what you think I will need to budget for a family of 4?

NCL has turned me off to their disregard for customers who booked with them expecting certain things included.

Thanks for letting me know :)

Hi! I am actually waiting until December 4 to book the X Solstice for an August 2017 cruise to Alaska. I saw they have 600sf family balconies for the price of regular balconies with living room, separated king, and separated bunk area for kids. My husband will be 50, I will be 48 and my boys will be 16 and 14 at the time.

I am reading good things about Celebrity - can I ask you what you think I will need to budget for a family of 4?

NCL has turned me off to their disregard for customers who booked with them expecting certain things included.

On celebrity? That's a question for the celebrity forum. I guarantee you won't have much fun on that line.

Just to let you know, there are many complaints that Celebrity's food isn't as good as it was, they recently raised the 15% bar gratuity to 18%, they have cancelled a lot of Summit cruises (including mine), they have altered many Caribbean itineraries without notice to include overnights and cancelled ports, folks have reported rude customer service reps, folks complain that the music is way too loud, they just changed the dress code with only a few days notice, etc., but they are still a great cruise line like NCL; I've got a cruise in January and will be replacing the Summit cruise that they cancelled. You will enjoy them.

Just to let you know, there are many complaints that Celebrity's food isn't as good as it was, they recently raised the 15% bar gratuity to 18%, they have cancelled a lot of Summit cruises (including mine), they have altered many Caribbean itineraries without notice to include overnights and cancelled ports, folks have reported rude customer service reps, folks complain that the music is way too loud, they just changed the dress code with only a few days notice, etc., but they are still a great cruise line like NCL; I've got a cruise in January and will be replacing the Summit cruise that they cancelled. You will enjoy them.

Thanks! So the affordable options all have their issues. Point well taken.

Sounds like a GREAT time.:eek:

I've heard the shows are not up to par. Am I the only one that Cruises with the entertainment in mind? Besides this is the Norwegian threads right?

Celebrity is a fantastic cruise line. A really good time. Try them out. Experiencing the differences between lines will help you appreciate those differences and discover new things, some you will love, some you will not. We will be onboard again in a few days for the 5 nighter.

I've heard the shows are not up to par. Am I the only one that Cruises with the entertainment in mind? Besides this is the Norwegian threads right?

If you mean the main shows aren't full production ones like say CATS or Million Dollar Quartet you're correct. However most every night on a Celebrity ship there is different entertainment to see in the main theatre without advance reservation or long lines to get in.

Certainly in all my Celebrity cruises I've never had a main show cancelled because a cast member was ill, as happened on Escape. We were lucky enough to see MDQ the first time it was on. No understudy for the show is ridiculous.

So, with entertainment in mind I'm going back to the smaller ships, be they NCL, RCCL or Celebrity.