Diamond Princess Room D741 Aft Bad Smell

Califaloha

We are considering booking room D741 (we are currently booked in A744) for the Aug 2016 sailing and would like to know if the bad-smell-on-the-balcony (from the kitchen food grinder exhaust fan) is still an issue. The ship was in dry dock for major upgrades in April 2014 and we are hoping they addressed this issue. There are earlier threads on this room but I could not find any current.

You probably will not get recent reports as these ships are in Asia.

As someone who previously had D740 on the Sapphire, I would never book either of these cabins on these 2 ships again. Not worth chancing it.

I doubt they have fixed it.

You probably will not get recent reports as these ships are in Asia.

As someone who previously had D740 on the Sapphire, I would never book either of these cabins on these 2 ships again. Not worth chancing it.

I doubt they have fixed it.

Thank you so much for this information.

• 7 months later...

Has anyone stayed in cabin D741 on the Diamond recently? The older posts mentioned there was a rotten smell blowing straight into the balcony of this cabin, making the balcony unusable. I would appreciate any update on this cabin.

Thanks

We were on the Diamond in May, in an aft-facing cabin on Emerald deck. Every so often, at mid-afternoon, we could notice some aromas of the evening's dinner being prepared. It was not an unpleasant situation at all. We were onboard for 16 days, and perhaps noticed it 4 or 5 times.

The reason this particular cabin is desirable is because it is an aft cabin which is in popular demand and hard to come by. Yes, the room is that good, so just booking another one isn't as easy as it sounds. I, did, in fact book a different room (I'm the original poster of this thread) but didn't get my aft room::(

The Grand Class (type ships) all have some type of aft vents between the aft facing cabins.

I doubt that this would be addressed in any dry dock as this is the design of the ship. Just as there are garbage type smells along the promenade deck vents from time to time. The stuff has to vent somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it looks like those aft cabins are ok now, otherwise we should be able to read more reviews. However, if I do experience any bad experience in the aft cabin on our cruise in a few months time, I will definitely report back here. Thanks everyone (:

Well, it looks like those aft cabins are ok now, otherwise we should be able to read more reviews. However, if I do experience any bad experience in the aft cabin on our cruise in a few months time, I will definitely report back here. Thanks everyone (:

Please do.

We are considering booking room D741 (we are currently booked in A744) for the Aug 2016 sailing and would like to know if the bad-smell-on-the-balcony (from the kitchen food grinder exhaust fan) is still an issue. The ship was in dry dock for major upgrades in April 2014 and we are hoping they addressed this issue. There are earlier threads on this room but I could not find any current.

The only help I can give is that we were on E743 on The Diamond last year and didn't smell anything.

Trish

• 9 months later...

I've read many posts from 2006-2013 about the bad smell coming from the garbage vent directly onto cabin. D741 on the Sapphire Princess. The vent blew right onto THAT aft facing balcony. I see no posts SINCE 2013 about this. I've booked that cabin. Has anyone been on the Sapphire or the Diamond in D741 since 2013? If so, when ? And did it still have a garbage smell. You're help is much appreciated.