Never Hang Anything on the Fire Sprinkler!

Bisous3

Now if we could get movie & TV script-writers to stop the long-running but inaccurate gag of someone holding a match under one sprinkler and every sprinkler in the building all go off at once.

Steve

That is not inaccurate. Some areas do have sprinkler system that activate all sprinkler- at least all in a specified are- when one is triggered. Loonbeam made reference to that in his/her post. These systems are not common, but they certainly do exist.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I have read about cruise passengers being billed the entire cost of replacing their cabin door just for a tiny amount of tape residue left from their decorations. A self-inflicted flood is way further up the continuum.

And the parent who saw it and did nothing to correct the situation? What's their excuse?

And you are assuming that the parent saw the whole thing and not just after it was there?

She was terrified! She was actually in the teen club when it all went down and when she got the message that she needed to come back to the cabin ASAP she knew that wasn't good. When she got there she was confused because she didn't even realize what she'd done. She was completely freaked out and rightfully so. So was I! Let's just say she won't ever hang anything on a sprinkler again!

Hopefully she will remember that for college.

We just had a situation at the college I work at. Unfortunately, the "break" was not reported for 15 minutes and did damage on 3 floors in the residence hall.

It could have been a whole lot worse! Thankfully there was someone right there and it sounds like they contained it quite quickly.

Edited by Coral

Suzanne-

Between the luggage fiasco at the start of your cruise and "Sprinkler-gate 2015" at the end, I hope you had a little time for some rest and relaxation in the middle!

Thank you for sharing the story with us. Lesson learned!

Tracie-Lynn

We had a wonderful time! The Regal is a beautiful ship and we would definitely sail her again. If they let us! LOL

I am sure the last thing on a 15 year old teenage girls mind is whether the thing she is hanging clothes on is a fire sprinkler etc. i am sure she had no idea what it was.

You are absolutely correct. There was no "do not hang.... " sticker by the sprinkler and she had absolutely no idea what it was. This was an accident, completely unintentional. Apologies were made by me the parent, because by the time she came back to the cabin there was no one left there to apologize to. The water had been vacuumed up and the carpet was drying with those huge fans. I was assured that everything would be dried in time. It wasn't the entire cabin, it was only 1/3 the carpet or so. They said when it happens they actually pull the carpet up and it all dries rather quickly.

Hopefully she will remember that for college.

We just had a situation at the college I work at. Unfortunately, the "break" was not reported for 15 minutes and did damage on 3 floors in the residence hall.

It could have been a whole lot worse! Thankfully there was someone right there and it sounds like they contained it quite quickly.

Very true. I cannot imagine what 15 minutes of that water would have done! We had the garbage can catching the water and then rotated with several buckets so it could have been WAY worse!

You're lucky Princess did not ban you from ever cruising on their ship again. You're also lucky that the carpet and everything in the cabin (including the TV) didn't have to be gutted and everything replaced at your expense. There was a family on a Carnival cruise who were banned from ever cruising on Carnival due to damage they did to their cabin. You got lucky!

I guess because I was standing right there and the cabin steward was in my cabin in 15 seconds holding the trash cans over the sprinkler to catch the water. We did this with the 2 trash cans until help came but we couldn't catch it all obviously.

Here are some of my thoughts- My husband and I have stayed in hotels,resorts and have been on cruise ships.

I have noted the warning signs posted near the safety sprinklers, asking guests not to hang anything from the sprinklers.

That always catches my attention because I cannot imagine that anyone would try to use the sprinkler head as a clothes hook.

But, apparently , it could happen.

The OP said that she apologized for the resulting mess in the cabin.

I am wondering if the daughter who was responsible for hanging her clothing from the sprinkler head also apologized?

As for reporting the sprinkler as malfunctioning, as another poster suggested,how would that aide a parent to show by example responsibility for actions?

I do hope the cabin was completely dry for the next occupant and that a mold/mildew situation does not develop for future passengers to experience.

Rules,guidelines and warning labels exist for many reasons.

One is that all passengers enjoy a cruise in safety and comfort .

Believe it or not there was no sticker next to the sprinkler, and my daughter had no idea what she'd done was a big deal. She also didn't get back to the cabin until everything was pretty much cleaned up so there was no one there to apologize to, and with that being the last evening of the cruise, there would have been no way to track down the 10 or so people who came to help to apologize to them individually.

I didn't report the sprinkler as malfunctioning, I told them exactly what happened. Again, apparently, according to the staff that came to clean it up, this happens "all the time". They had the equipment to deal with it and did so quickly and efficiently. This wasn't a case of "rule breaking" or doing anything she was told not to do. It was not done maliciously. Clearly it was an accident in the true sense of the word. Even in my mistake of removing the offending hanger, in retrospect I should have left it alone and let the "professionals" handle it.

There was no "damage" to the cabin in that I am certain it was fine for today's passenger. I was completely horrified at what I had done and they kept reassuring me that everything was fine...they did get a huge kick out of me saying I wanted to help them clean up for some reason? They found that to be funny. It was all I could think of to do. You make a mess, you clean it up. I tried, believe me!

Believe it or not there was no sticker next to the sprinkler, and my daughter had no idea what she'd done was a big deal. She also didn't get back to the cabin until everything was pretty much cleaned up so there was no one there to apologize to, and with that being the last evening of the cruise, there would have been no way to track down the 10 or so people who came to help to apologize to them individually.

I didn't report the sprinkler as malfunctioning, I told them exactly what happened. Again, apparently, according to the staff that came to clean it up, this happens "all the time". They had the equipment to deal with it and did so quickly and efficiently. This wasn't a case of "rule breaking" or doing anything she was told not to do. It was not done maliciously. Clearly it was an accident in the true sense of the word. Even in my mistake of removing the offending hanger, in retrospect I should have left it alone and let the "professionals" handle it.

There was no "damage" to the cabin in that I am certain it was fine for today's passenger. I was completely horrified at what I had done and they kept reassuring me that everything was fine...they did get a huge kick out of me saying I wanted to help them clean up for some reason? They found that to be funny. It was all I could think of to do. You make a mess, you clean it up. I tried, believe me!

You did everything right and kudos to you....it was an accident and you even tried to help clean it up... plain and simple. I bet when you started this thread, you didn't think it would turn into an attack or see the threats of being charged thousands of dollars for the clean up. It was more like you were trying to warn others not to have a mishap.

In my opinion, you won't be sued, you won't be charged and you won't be banned. (not sure how much my opinion counts but it is what it is) I also bet you won't set yourself up to be flamed on this board again ... even in light of trying to help others understand what can happen if you do this or that. Glad you had a great cruise nonetheless.

We've had a room steward that was so mad at us one night. You know what we did to get yelled at?? We fell asleep in the cabin and woke up around 9 PM and realized we had better high tail it out in order to get some dinner. We walked out shortly after waking up and got scolded....I mean, really scolded. Well, I can understand when someone gets cranky when they are tired and we now always make it very clear at the beginning of the cruise that if our room steward needs to go to bed, we will survive without our evening chocolate and we promise to never complain. I get it -- we did the wrong thing but it was a mistake. Lesson learned, though. That is all that we can ask from ourselves or our fellow human beings.

It sure is when they want to charge you $44,000 to clean up the mess. Let their insurance company pay for it.

Yep, that being adult and taking responsibility for your actions is overrated. When you don't use common sense and good judgment, lie and blame it on something or somebody else. It certainly isn't the responsibility of the insurance company.

You are absolutely correct. There was no "do not hang.... " sticker by the sprinkler and she had absolutely no idea what it was. This was an accident, completely unintentional. Apologies were made by me the parent, because by the time she came back to the cabin there was no one left there to apologize to. The water had been vacuumed up and the carpet was drying with those huge fans. I was assured that everything would be dried in time. It wasn't the entire cabin, it was only 1/3 the carpet or so. They said when it happens they actually pull the carpet up and it all dries rather quickly.

We have a carpet cleaning business. They would most likely remove the pad that is wet. Put the dryer under the carpet and it should be dry by the next day. And just replace the pad.

We have a carpet cleaning business. They would most likely remove the pad that is wet. Put the dryer under the carpet and it should be dry by the next day. And just replace the pad.

Princess puts the high power fan on top of the carpet.

Unless its sewage in most cases they do not pull it up.

If it needs replacing they keep spare and they can replace it in about 30 minutes.

I always see fans on the carpet somewhere on our cruises.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I have read about cruise passengers being billed the entire cost of replacing their cabin door just for a tiny amount of tape residue left from their decorations. A self-inflicted flood is way further up the continuum.

And the parent who saw it and did nothing to correct the situation? What's their excuse?

Clearly you haven't read the original post. I DID correct the situation when I saw it and that's why the sprinklers went off in the first place! And the LAST THING I did was make an excuse!!

You sound like a very nice family. Accidents happen.

Thank you. I just wanted to warn others- especially those who might be traveling with their kids as well to tell them the story of the family who unintentionally set off the fire sprinklers!

You did everything right and kudos to you....it was an accident and you even tried to help clean it up... plain and simple. I bet when you started this thread, you didn't think it would turn into an attack or see the threats of being charged thousands of dollars for the clean up. It was more like you were trying to warn others not to have a mishap.

In my opinion, you won't be sued, you won't be charged and you won't be banned. (not sure how much my opinion counts but it is what it is) I also bet you won't set yourself up to be flamed on this board again ... even in light of trying to help others understand what can happen if you do this or that. Glad you had a great cruise nonetheless.

We've had a room steward that was so mad at us one night. You know what we did to get yelled at?? We fell asleep in the cabin and woke up around 9 PM and realized we had better high tail it out in order to get some dinner. We walked out shortly after waking up and got scolded....I mean, really scolded. Well, I can understand when someone gets cranky when they are tired and we now always make it very clear at the beginning of the cruise that if our room steward needs to go to bed, we will survive without our evening chocolate and we promise to never complain. I get it -- we did the wrong thing but it was a mistake. Lesson learned, though. That is all that we can ask from ourselves or our fellow human beings.

Yes, that's EXACTLY how I feel! Some people are extremely rude... I hope I never run into them on board. I really did just want to warn people about the sprinklers being extremely sensitive- and that is per the crew. The guy who came to change the sprinkler head told me he's worked for Princess for 13 years and these sprinklers are the most sensitive he's ever seen. He told me that there was someone recently who set one off popping a champagne cork!