good news and bad news live from grand princess

tml1230

Is the Jones Act the reason they're skipping Maui for Ensenada? Cuz I'd totally rather skip Ensenada than Maui. And I'm pretty Maui'd out at the moment.

Yes, the ship has to stop at a foreign port between dockings at the same port in the US (and a DISTANT foreign port between dockings at different US ports). That's why one-way Alaska cruises start or end in Vancouver.

woke up this morning…walked to horizon court for coffee…still dark…limited visibility out the windows ...thought to myself wow, Kauai, judging from the lights…sure has grown a lot since we were here last year1

i sat down checking my emails by a pool and a guy walks up to me and asks "are we in honolulu"?….i said nope we sailed out from there about 11 last night…my next thought was ...geez i hope he can find his way back to his room without help…

5 minutes later a woman comes up to me and asks "isn't that " that…you know... diamond point or that diamond head place in honolulu?" i politely said i don't think so... i chalked this encounter up to her blond hair (my wife is blond so i can say that)

peaking my interest now ...i walked up to the next deck where there was no reflection and window glare…looked out to see the city of honolulu… those 2 folks i conversed with now must think i am just another idiot from florida. i am…..

so i cancelled our rental car in kauai… and rented a car here again …if we end up spending a lot of time here i will want a car and don't want there to be any available…i thought that was pretty darn good planning at 0630…

i don't know what the day holds but we are safe, we are in hawaii and life is good….for those of you boarding 12/10, like you we are concerned so i will let you know what we hear…

Is the Jones Act the reason they're skipping Maui for Ensenada? Cuz I'd totally rather skip Ensenada than Maui. And I'm pretty Maui'd out at the moment.

Ensenada was already on the itinerary. They planned to skip Maui to give us an additional sea day because the ship would be sailing so slowly. But the story has obviously changed because we never left Honolulu last night. I woke up several times last night and could see the same port lights outside the balcony doors so I knew we were still here. Great port to be stranded in. :)

I read on another site the Coast Guard won't let them leave Honolulu until repairs are complete.

Someone at this end talked to Princess, who told them that the ship has been cleared to leave, but doesn't have full power, so it will be sailing straight back from Honolulu tomorrow -- there will be compensation for all passengers. No doubt you'll be hearing all about this soon.

(Please note this is secondhand, as I haven't talked to Princess myself.)

captain just advised we are receiving full refund and future cruise credits…folks wanting to fly home from honolulu can do so and princess will pay airfare… we are heading directly to ensenada and SF…so we missed 3 ports in hawaii…i am very satisfied with princess

No. The Jones Act has to do with cargo and such. It it the Passenger Vessel Service Act (PVSA) that causes these odd itineraries.

PVSA not Jones, and yes, they have to stop in Mexico or get a waiver (which would not be an easy get for a mechanical issue. Medical and weather are the only two gimmes.)

captain just advised we are receiving full refund and future cruise credits…folks wanting to fly home from honolulu can do so and princess will pay airfare… we are heading directly to ensenada and SF…so we missed 3 ports in hawaii…i am very satisfied with princess

That's great news! I think I'd take the airfare offer and stay in HI for a few days. What are you going to do?

This is a fabulous offer. Princess is really doing the right thing. We are also on the December 10th cruise so we are waiting to see if we hear anything from Princess. Maybe San Francisco will be an overnighter ;). We'd rather be a sea but as long as we're on a ship we're happy.

I'm really sorry for those that don't cruise often as this may have been their dream cruise. But Princess has made it right so they can take another one.

Thank all of you that are onboard giving the rest of us updates. It helps when you know something in advance instead of being surprised when you arrive at the pier. That's happened to us and it was pretty.

Edited by cactusrose

woke up this morning…walked to horizon court for coffee…still dark…limited visibility out the windows ...thought to myself wow, Kauai, judging from the lights…sure has grown a lot since we were here last year1

i sat down checking my emails by a pool and a guy walks up to me and asks "are we in honolulu"?….i said nope we sailed out from there about 11 last night…my next thought was ...geez i hope he can find his way back to his room without help…

5 minutes later a woman comes up to me and asks "isn't that " that…you know... diamond point or that diamond head place in honolulu?" i politely said i don't think so... i chalked this encounter up to her blond hair (my wife is blond so i can say that)

peaking my interest now ...i walked up to the next deck where there was no reflection and window glare…looked out to see the city of honolulu… those 2 folks i conversed with now must think i am just another idiot from florida. i am…..

so i cancelled our rental car in kauai… and rented a car here again …if we end up spending a lot of time here i will want a car and don't want there to be any available…i thought that was pretty darn good planning at 0630…

i don't know what the day holds but we are safe, we are in hawaii and life is good….for those of you boarding 12/10, like you we are concerned so i will let you know what we hear…

Oh my...that had me cracking up! Love your sense of humor and I notice that I used to be your neighbor when I lived out in Bradenton. Over on this coast now and we are looking forward to your updates. So glad to hear people sound as if they are being civil and that Princess stepped up to do the right thing by offering you a very good compensation package.

We are scheduled to sail out of SF on 12/10, although my heart goes out to the passengers on this cruise much more than I am concerned about my cruise.

Class Act from Princess! Enjoy the rest of your vacation, whichever way you decide to get back home.

I know that there are many on board that have taken this situation with a great attitude. Thanks for all of the updates. I was concerned when I went to bed after 1 PM Honolulu time that the Grand was stilled moored in Honolulu.

As for me, I would have loved to be on this cruise! Lots of Sea Days, CD Dave Cole, over night in Honolulu (and a great compensation package)...What more could you have asked for. Stay on board. Sail her back to San Francisco and enjoy this cruise.

What to do today?

Take a walk through China Town

Visit Iolani Palace/walk around the Capitol building

Have lunch at Artizen in the Art Museum building at Hotel and Alakea. New restaurant, a little on the high end side, but oh, so ono (delicious)

Take da bus to Ala Moana Shopping Center: There's entertainment at the Center Court at 11 (Royal Hawaiian Band/oldest band in the west). Across the street is Magic Island (Ala Moana Beach). Very safe beach. You can have great dim sum at the Ala Moana Hotel (or in China Town).

Ward Center, Ward Warehouse to get your Christmas shopping done. Have Shave Ice at Waiola Shave Ice at the Ward Warehouse.

Catch a bus to Pearl Harbor. The museum is free. Might be too late to get tickets for movie and launch to memorial.

Swap Meet Aloha Stadium

Take da bus ride around the island for cheap with your medicare card.

Take da bus to Waikiki: Diamond Head tide pools, free sunset entertainment at Kuhio Beach (around 6:30/go early). Visit the zoo, aquarium.

Plenty to do on this bright Hawaiian Christmas Day. Have a great time. Take a little bit of aloha back with you.

Displaced Local Girl

Please join us on the Roll Call for the 12/10 sailing on the Grand. We have a friendly, lively group and have two meet & greets planned. We are all looking forward to this cruise so much! I spoke with Princess this morning, and they said that as of this moment, they expect our cruise to sail as planned.