Question about British Isles cruises for Shogun or others in UK

sunsetbeachgal

Shogun or others,

I asked question this on the Great Britain port board, but you are always so helpful I wanted to make sure I got your answer!

We are doing a British Isles cruise with family in 2017. Princess just announced itineraries, and they are the same except some voyages visit Kirkwall and some visit Liverpool. One voyage does an overnight with two full days in Dublin, but that one does not visit either Kirkwall or Liverpool.

Do you feel that one port is preferable to the other?

I am not either of those posters but took the cruise ,which included Liverpool, this past May. If you are a Beatles fan then you would enjoy this port. There is a wonderful Beatles museum (inside two different buildings) within easy walking distance. You can also take the "ferry cross the Mersey" if you so choose. Research the ports and see which sites interest you.

Personally, I would not want two days in Dublin. We took a 4 hour Princess tour to see the "sites". We felt that was plenty. Maybe there are sites a distance away from Dublin ( I don't remember) which we would do if we ever went back but we did not feel short changed in the amount of time at this stop.

Edited by dickinson

I am not either of those posters but took the cruise ,which included Liverpool, this past May. If you are a Beatles fan then you would enjoy this port. There is a wonderful Beatles museum (inside two different buildings) within easy walking distance. You can also take the "ferry cross the Mersey" if you so choose. Research the ports and see which sites interest you.

Personally, I would not want two days in Dublin. We took a 4 hour Princess tour to see the "sites". We felt that was plenty. Maybe there are sites a distance away from Dublin ( I don't remember) which we would do if we ever went back but we did not feel short changed in the amount of time at this stop.

I agree with you about Dublin...1 day is more than enough. We are interested in the British Isles cruise that includes Kirkwall vs. Liverpool. Looking forward to feedback from Shogun.

Edited by qsuzi

We loved Kirkwall. The fact that we had beautiful weather didn't hurt either. ;)

If you like ancient history (as in neolithic) you won't be disappointed. There are some fantastic sites (think Stonehenge). Also, the town itself was a very nice way to end the day. It's very quaint and historic also.

Of course we've never been to Liverpool and are certainly Beatles fans. Definitely planning to visit. However, based on our preferences, if I had to choose one over the other I'd opt for Kirkwall (Orkney Islands).

And sorry, I'm neither Shogun or British but am a big fan of both. :D

Also remember Dublin is NOT part of the British Isles lol, Kirkwall is good, (dived Orkney many a time) but highland park distillery also worth a visit, scara Brae Neolithic site is a must, as as the Italian church, think Nissan hut painted like the Sistine chapel painted by Italian POW's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also remember Dublin is NOT part of the British Isles lol, Kirkwall is good, (dived Orkney many a time) but highland park distillery also worth a visit, scara Brae Neolithic site is a must, as as the Italian church, think Nissan hut painted like the Sistine chapel painted by Italian POW's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually Dublin is in the Republic of Ireland, which is on the island of Ireland - which because of history and geography is part of the island group known as The British Isles.

Dublin and the rest of the Republic of Ireland is not of course part of the UK, at least not since 1922 or thereabouts when we achieved independence from British occupation.

And yes I am an Irish Citizen so I know about this stuff, confusing though it may seem to a foreigner.

I agree with you about Dublin...1 day is more than enough. We are interested in the British Isles cruise that includes Kirkwall vs. Liverpool. Looking forward to feedback from Shogun.

If you think one day in the area of Dublin is enough to see everything of interest then you are sadly misinformed - going on that basis I guess 2 days will be enough to see everything in the rest of the British isles and you should be able to see all of Europe in 3 days.

We have just booked the May 25 sailing with Kirkwall and set up the Roll Call. So much to see in all ports--so little time.

I grew up during the Beatles era in England but have no desire to visit Liverpool when an alternative is the Orkneys. You could "do" both Liverpool and Kirkwall if you include Liverpool in a pre or post cruise land trip. Suggest you look at a detailed map of the UK to see distances and travel time. Lots of wonderful places to see.

FYI Shogun lives in Scotland

Edited by Alaskanb

Personally, I would jump on an overnight in Dublin. You can't experience Ireland without a night in the pubs listening to music (trust me, you'll end up singing right along). This is where you'll end up feeling just like a local by nights end and have met many new friends!! And, I agree with the above poster......there is soo much that Dublin has to offer.....love that little town of a city!

Hi All

Dublin and Liverpool are great cities been to both a few times and will go back again.

However Kirkwall is unique , and have visited,

So why this port because on your cruise you will get the chance to see other

great cities, Kirkwall is a totally different experience

With in a small area it has just so much to offer,

buildings older than the pyramids.

henge older than Stonehedge,

Captain Cooks dinner service etc

WW2 History

The Italian Chapel

Highland Park distillery

http://www.visitscotland.com/info/towns-villages/kirkwall-p238491

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/eastmainland/italianchapel/

http://www.orkneyjar.com/history/skarabrae/skarab1.htm

http://highlandpark.co.uk/odin/

http://orkneyuncovered.co.uk/wartime-orkney-explorer/

any questions please ask

yours Shogun

Thanks again!

Funny, we just decided to do this and I was very surprised that of the major cruise lines Princess is really the only line that does British Isles with any frequency. It sounds like a lovely cruise!

Now we just need for the prices to come down...must wait! :confused:

Before you choose Kirkwall over Liverpool, check to see how many big ships will be in Kirkwall the day you are there. (There's a website for this - just don't remember it now. Maybe someone else here knows).

If there's more than 1, I would recommend foregoing Kirkwall. The day we were there FOUR ships, 2 large (Ruby and an MSC) and two smaller ships (Windstar? and another). Kirkwall's infrastructure was completely overrun. Private tours and the ship's tours were booked months in advance and the tickets for the public bus were sold out by 9:30 a.m.

Because of this, we were sorry we didn't take the Liverpool itinerary.

If you think one day in the area of Dublin is enough to see everything of interest then you are sadly misinformed - going on that basis I guess 2 days will be enough to see everything in the rest of the British isles and you should be able to see all of Europe in 3 days.

Totally agree. You cannot possibly see everything worth visiting in Dublin in 2 days.

We took the UK cruise the first time in 2011 that included Kirkwall. It was a very interesting port and so out of the way that you probably would not go there on a land trip to the UK.

The second UK cruise was this past July when we went to Liverpool which we loved for the Beatles tours and concert. We saw all different places in the ports we repeated. The only port we did not find that great was Dublin. We spent a half day there each time and it was fun, but could not compare to Belfast, London, Cobh, Edinburgh, Guernsey, the Normandy Beaches, Glasgow or any other ports.

You are right, no other cruise line does the same itinerary leaving from London. We spent extra days there pre-cruise both times and could have spent a week.

Feel free to educate me then. We have been to Dublin before :) but there are things we missed. Loved the pubs in Edinburgh. DH ancestry is Scotland.

Edited by qsuzi

Hi All

http://www.orkneyharbours.com/cruise_ship_list.asp?y=2017

not much showing but 2016 is also there, which might give a better idea

yours Shogun

Maybe with large ships like the Caribbean Princess they do not have additional ships in port. Looks as though they limit the number of passengers on any one day.

Definitely will make our independent tour reservations as soon as they are available.

We did Kirkwall in 2005 on the Golden but it was more than special for me; since my great grand parents were married in the side chapel of Saint Magnus Cathedral and I could walk down Bridge street and wonder what "flat" they lived in as newly weds before they emigrated to Canada. We had a pint at the Kirkwall Hotel and it was such a great day for me, just to know I had come back and completed the circle so to speak. I would go back and do it again.

We did Kirkwall in 2005 on the Golden but it was more than special for me; since my great grand parents were married in the side chapel of Saint Magnus Cathedral and I could walk down Bridge street and wonder what "flat" they lived in as newly weds before they emigrated to Canada. We had a pint at the Kirkwall Hotel and it was such a great day for me, just to know I had come back and completed the circle so to speak. I would go back and do it again.

Love this post!

Thanks!

After reviewing the the list we would still pick the 1 day vs almost 2 days in Dublin since that itinerary does not include Kirkwall. The question really becomes what are the most important things you want to see when you compare the itineraries.