Flights for transatlantic Cruises

biotech

I will post the results once a decision is made. Currently I am looking at possible routes and airlines and then will see what Oceania can do for us. I spoke to a woman this morning that recently did the Barcelona to Miami trip and got straight through flights from Oceania but was told that others did not. I'm not sure where the others were located but this woman lives in my city and uses the Toronto gateway. The flight to Barcelona was AC Rouge but I didn't get her opinion on 8 hr+ flights on Rouge.

A big thank you to everyone for your input!

I will post the results once a decision is made. Currently I am looking at possible routes and airlines and then will see what Oceania can do for us. I spoke to a woman this morning that recently did the Barcelona to Miami trip and got straight through flights from Oceania but was told that others did not. I'm not sure where the others were located but this woman lives in my city and uses the Toronto gateway. The flight to Barcelona was AC Rouge but I didn't get her opinion on 8 hr+ flights on Rouge.

A big thank you to everyone for your input!

Some people will not take the air deviation so will get whatever route Oceania gives them

I would prefer to pay the deviation fee & at least pick the flight I WANT

Most of time there is no upcharge

Request early ;)

Round trip flights for our upcoming TA, starting from NY and returning from Lisbon are pricing out at around $1800/pp for Coach and the air credit from Oceania was a measly $550/pp. Although we almost always do our own air, we've used up most of our points and so this time decided to do the deviation. Submitted our request and two days later got exactly what we asked for with only the standard deviation fee of $175/pp.

Not saying this will always work but I was pleasantly surprised. Since we are not in a Gateway city, it's always a crap shoot getting decent flights.

• 4 weeks later...

I said that I would repost with the results for our decision. We decided to pay the deviation fee and request flights of our choice on the dates we preferred. Since we wanted to fly into Miami the day before departure and spend 5 nights in Barcelona at the end of the cruise we did have to pay an up charge of $200.

We probably could have saved a few dollars if we had done our own air but I did not want the hassle of dealing with the flight from Barcelona to Toeonto and the cancelling a return ticket back to Barcelona. Air Canada is the carrier that I use most often and I didn't want to deal with the possibility of the airline charging me extra when Imdidn't return to Barcelona.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and suggestions. It was very helpful in making my decision.

You appy for a AmericanAirlines credit card...get 50,000 miles, charge your cruise...now you have almost 55,000 miles Each gets a totaly separate card. to double miles.

Then use miles to fly free.. for just what you have spent. and as a bonus, you get O to give you a reduction on cruise fare for non use of air AND you dont have to pay for a silly deviation..........

Fly out of Barcelona.... well ok but a quick TGV ride to Lyon france will be even better..

So with this free air, reduced cruise fare, total freedom and no dev.fee

You appy for a AmericanAirlines credit card...get 50,000 miles, charge your cruise...now you have almost 55,000 miles Each gets a totaly separate card. to double miles.

Then use miles to fly free.. for just what you have spent. and as a bonus, you get O to give you a reduction on cruise fare for non use of air AND you dont have to pay for a silly deviation..........

Fly out of Barcelona.... well ok but a quick TGV ride to Lyon france will be even better..

So with this free air, reduced cruise fare, total freedom and no dev.fee

That's a really good deal....and may work. I do already have a long held AA cc and ff account. In the last few years however, we never seem to be able to get flights to europe when we need them, except sometimes on their partner British Airways. On AA no extra fees, but on B.A. not so. On B.A, after you add the extra taxes and charge for selecting your seats if you want to sit next to your travel mate.....it costs alot of miles + alot of cash. We now use our miles for US or travel economy class to Canada...seats seem available. Caveat: on international travel (except Canada), we do book business class....don't know if that makes finding "free"seats more difficult.

That's a really good deal....and may work. I do already have a long held AA cc and ff account. In the last few years however, we never seem to be able to get flights to europe when we need them, except sometimes on their partner British Airways. On AA no extra fees, but on B.A. not so. On B.A, after you add the extra taxes and charge for selecting your seats if you want to sit next to your travel mate.....it costs alot of miles + alot of cash. We now use our miles for US or travel economy class to Canada...seats seem available. Caveat: on international travel (except Canada), we do book business class....don't know if that makes finding "free"seats more difficult.

You can apply for another AA card...yup. each of you..and I think get the50,000 bonus each

You mention BA and the fees... and fuel surcharge etc.

Here is the real corker, if you flyout of a UK airport using ff miles....you get to pay as special tax 155 for coach and 330 for business class passengers!!!! hence never ever fly out of UK ona FF ticket.. in is ok but not out

I am planning on doing a cruise ending in Barcelona but have decided to use Lyon france... better options

Booking intl business is today difficult and you need to really be on top of the game..even if your a top level customer-in their programs

Edited by Hawaiidan

Hi

Check Iceland air and consider spending a couple of days in Reykjavik or even Via London.

Or Manchester

Look at booking return flights Barcelona/Toronto and don't use the "return"

The Airline will not "blackball" you ,flights are mostly overbooked and airlines rely on noshows.

We're currently having a bit of a palaver booking from Manchester to Chicago and flying back from Seattle after our Regatta Cruise.

I think that the "openjaw" nonsense has been dropped and you don't have to use the same airline.

Do ask your TA

regards,

Josie