No Tub in Sirena PH ??

petlover

We have booked a PH on Sirena for our first Oceania cruise. I read about the Sirena PH cabins and it only mentions a shower? If correct, I'm sorry to hear. this My husband has had surgery and really likes to soak in a tub some days, me too for relaxation. I was anticipating a tub/shower combination as we've had on former R ships's so we would have a choice of showering or soaking.

It's true, there will be no tubs in Penthouse suites on the Serena. Reasoning according to Oceania is that customer feedback indicates a strong preference for showers only, even though all previous ships have tubs in PH.

Disappointing for me too, petlover. I find it so uncomfortable lying down in a shower. ;)

Add me to those who are disappointed at this news ... but I confess I never tried lying down in the shower ... especially not the one in the veranda cabins (category A and down) ... :D

I prefer tubs but they are being phased out in hotels and homes as well. We just had a designer plan new bathrooms and we were advised to remove tubs in favor of oversized showers. We declined to do so.

Homeowners have been removing jetted tubs for years, now soaking garden tubs are biting the dust.

thanks for the confirmation :mad: It is what it is. I just like to have the choice. If I'm hurrying or washing my hair I'll shower but for relaxing and time allows, I love a warm tub. Oh well, we'll still have a wonderful cruise.

Kathy, on Regent we booked an F2 cabin for that very reason. Thanks All.

Think that the vast majority of us like showers better. The tub and shower combo. in old PH just was awful.

I accept that you and many others think so ... but I disagree! I grew up taking baths rather than showers and I still prefer them. So I like the combo tub/shower.

OTOH, I agree that the shower in the lower cabins is just awful!

There is one thing to consider ... from what I understand, Americans (not sure if this is true of Canadians) prefer showers. But Brits prefer tubs ... again, I'm going by people I know. Since O is marketing to more people who live outside of North America, maybe they should consider making some bathrooms have showers and the others tubs ... don't get me wrong, I see the problems with this approach!

It seems that the new renos are making the showers larger which might make tub-lovers more accepting ... Usually we're not on board for that long.

Then again, if you are taking the 6 months RTW ....

Thats such a shame. I love taking a bath, especially when on vacation.

Just a matter of choice. I never take a bath and my wife takes one maybe once every 2 years. Be nice if we had both like the big ships and then everyone would be happy. It is nice when everyone gets what they want.

Just off the Riviera and the bath tub was wonderful. No jets, but no biggie.

I am one of those Canadians that prefer baths. I can fake showers for a few days, but not for the longer cruises.

Bummer as I liked the Ocean Princess and was anticipating the changes to make her into the new O ship.

Seems strange to me that a PH would give you no choice, but I have to assume that O knows their customers better than we do.

Or who they want on board ;)

Does that mean no bath tubs in any suite/room on Sirena?

The Tubs in the Owners and Vista Suites were removed last year on the other three R ships, in lieu of a fabulous room sized shower, so it makes sense that when Sirena has been fully renovated to Oceania standards,her big Suites will be treated similarly.

010903.jpg

http://www.oceaniacruisesblog.com/taste/2014/01/regatta-insignia-and-nautica-improving-on-perfection.html

Edited by StanandJim

The Tubs in the Owners and Vista Suites were removed last year on the other three R ships, in lieu of a fabulous room sized shower, so it makes sense that when Sirena has been fully renovated to Oceania standards,her big Suites will be treated similarly.

010903.jpg

http://www.oceaniacruisesblog.com/taste/2014/01/regatta-insignia-and-nautica-improving-on-perfection.html

thanks Stan & Jim - good to know.

I guess we Neanderthals who like baths are doomed.

Looks nice for those that like showers though :)

I've been avoiding comment, but I have to even the scale a little. I haven't had a bath in as long as I can remember, certainly over 60 years. In one small house when I was just a lad, there was no shower but there was a drain in the basement floor -- Dad rigged up a shower just for "us guys" -- just a hot and cold valve and a shower head near the ceiling, no curtain or other foo-foo stuff, and I haven't looked back since.

I can't abide the thought of sitting in my own dirty water, let alone a tub someone else recently used. Fortunately, Betsy feels the same way. We still live by the 60's maxim -- "save water, shower with a friend" -- every chance we get.

We have one tub in our house, there when we moved in, but two other baths with shower (one with two shower heads), a stand-up shower and an outdoor shower in our RV, and an outdoor shower by the pool.

Now, I can't wait to sample a Sirena Penthouse. Oceania probably based there decision partly on the vast criticism they got for wasting the space in Marina and Riviera's bathrooms with a tub that few use.

Oh dear, first I was a neanderthal; now I'm a dirty neanderthal! (before anyone gets their knickers in a twist, I'm joking, and am smiling as I type this:)) I would think that the reason that O decided to do away with the bathtub in the owners and vista suites on the R ships is because it's a relatively small space and if you can't do a bath tub and a shower 'properly', you just do one or the other. Since not everyone can climb in and out of a bath easily, it makes sense to go for the shower only - unless of course you have a ship full of dirty neanderthals!

We actually like the bathtub only cabins/suites but were not aware that the bath was removed from Owner and Vista suites on the Riviera and Marina. When Regent's Mariner had bathtub/showers, the complaints were never-ending. It was, IMO, dangerous to get into and out of the bathtub as it was/is quite a bit higher than the floor. Regent slowly began to convert the bathtub/shower to large showers. At least 50% of the ship is shower only and they are always the first to be booked. That in itself tells a story.

The bathtubs are still in place on the Riviera and Marina; it is just on the R class ships that they have been removed from the Owners and Vista suites (I believe there is a shower/bath combo in PH suites) and it sounds as though Sirena is a completely bathtub-less ship?

We actually like the bathtub only cabins/suites but were not aware that the bath was removed from Owner and Vista suites on the Riviera and Marina. When Regent's Mariner had bathtub/showers, the complaints were never-ending. It was, IMO, dangerous to get into and out of the bathtub as it was/is quite a bit higher than the floor. Regent slowly began to convert the bathtub/shower to large showers. At least 50% of the ship is shower only and they are always the first to be booked. That in itself tells a story.

A few years ago, we were booked on a Mariner voyage (we ultimately had to cancel for an unrelated reason) and got stuck with one of the 50% that still has a tub combo. Reading so many posts from tub lovers, I figured there had to be at least one of them stuck with a shower only and willing to trade. I posted and asked and practically begged, but had no takers, even though we had a great location. As you said, that also tells the same story.