Table for two - worth the aggravation

JPH814

We requested a table for 2 main seating for our upcoming cruise. It shows that on our reservation and invoice. I just received out "Express Docs" and it says we are at a table for 4.

Is it worth trying to request a change prior to the cruise? I imagine I will get the standard answer "Go to the dining room once on board and ask for a change".

We have had various eating arrangements in the past. Large tables, anytime dining, Table for two. I am generally OK with anything, but my wife asked for the table for two this time. I would almost rather be at a larger table of couples instead of sitting with the other two people each night.

Having said that, We plan to do the Pinnacle Grill at least once, Canaletto at least once and the Master Chefs dinner. So that is at least three of the eleven nights.

We are in a Neptune suite, so I guess another option is getting onboard and asking the concierge in the Neptune Lounge to change it for us.

What do you think I should do?

We requested a table for 2 main seating for our upcoming cruise. It shows that on our reservation and invoice. I just received out "Express Docs" and it says we are at a table for 4 ... What do you think I should do?

If I were in your shoes, I would definitely contact HAL Seattle and try to get the reservation clarified (2 at a 4-top or a 4-top with another couple) and, if necessary, resolved before you sail ... even though I feel fairly certain that your Neptune Concierge could take care of it for you as well, I prefer the certainty of knowing (to the extent possible) what, where, when, who, why, etc. before sailing ... JMO ... smooth sailing!!!

Edited by avian777

It's possible that you might be the only two people at the table of four. You could wait to find out but keep in mind that you can aways change your dining table assignment onboard by speaking with the MDR Manager.

well not always.

It's possible that you might be the only two people at the table of four. You could wait to find out but keep in mind that you can always change your dining table assignment onboard by speaking with the MDR Manager.

And it's also probable that the other couple will show. What then for that night? Very uncomfortable.

We requested a table for 2 main seating for our upcoming cruise. It shows that on our reservation and invoice. I just received out "Express Docs" and it says we are at a table for 4.

Is it worth trying to request a change prior to the cruise? I imagine I will get the standard answer "Go to the dining room once on board and ask for a change".

We have had various eating arrangements in the past. Large tables, anytime dining, Table for two. I am generally OK with anything, but my wife asked for the table for two this time. I would almost rather be at a larger table of couples instead of sitting with the other two people each night.

Having said that, We plan to do the Pinnacle Grill at least once, Canaletto at least once and the Master Chefs dinner. So that is at least three of the eleven nights.

We are in a Neptune suite, so I guess another option is getting onboard and asking the concierge in the Neptune Lounge to change it for us.

The other option is to change to anytime dining. There usually are more 2 toppers in anytime then in the traditional dining area.

Just off the Eurodam and anytime dining! Thought they broke up tables for four and made many more tables for 2. Don't know if this also is happening at the Main Dining room but people certainly were happy with more of these tables.

On the October Oosterdam Cruise we always asked for a table for two (anytime dining) and always got it. If the table is larger than for two, they just removed the other place settings.Wasn't a problem at all. We went at different times and never had an issue.

Dan

Historically we have had zero success getting the concierge in the Neptune Lounge to do anything for us around a dining reservation, be it in the MDR or the Pinnacle. Maybe others have had better luck.

Historically we have had zero success getting the concierge in the Neptune Lounge to do anything for us around a dining reservation, be it in the MDR or the Pinnacle. Maybe others have had better luck.

We've never had to ask as HAL has always acceded to our wishes re table size and dining times.

The other option is to change to anytime dining. There usually are more 2 toppers in anytime then in the traditional dining area.

I vote for this... No hassles and it takes care of it because each day you show up with who you would like to eat with (each other... or additional if you meet anyone for a particular night)

If you want the same staff indicate that and they can give an idea of good times to come in and they can try to line you up each time.

First off all, you are in a Neptune Suite, so you SHOULD have preferred dining.

I am guessing that your table for four is a two top and you can find out on board.

DH and I have had a couple of tables for four that were just for us.

Worked for us just fine :)

Seattle may not honestly know. Best thing to do is check when you get on board.

Thanks for all the advice

I talked to my wife and she is ok being flexible. An accomplishment in itself

So here is our plan:

The first night we are going to pinnacle. I have come to dislike the main dining room the first night. Very disorganized and hectic

Second night is formal - oops - gala. We will go to our assigned table.

If we like our table mates, or if we are alone at our table for four, we will keep it. If not, we will ask to be changed yo anytime dining.

Should this work?

Thanks for all the advice

I talked to my wife and she is ok being flexible. An accomplishment in itself

So here is our plan:

The first night we are going to pinnacle. I have come to dislike the main dining room the first night. Very disorganized and hectic

Second night is formal - oops - gala. We will go to our assigned table.

If we like our table mates, or if we are alone at our table for four, we will keep it. If not, we will ask to be changed yo anytime dining.

Should this work?

Go to the PG, then sneak into the MDR around 8:10 or 8:15 and see if anyone is sitting at your table...

I would check when you board. It could very well be that you have a 4-top for the two of you. We had one of those on two previous cruises. The first one was a surprise, the second one we had our TA request it, and got it. We asked for a specific table, in fact.

Our cruise last month had the two of us assigned to a table for four but only two place settings were present. Our Express Docs said table for two.

The same condition occurred on our Pacific Coastal in April 2015. We were switched to a two-top for our first week in Alaska.

Note that the tables are assigned just a few days before you embark so requesting a change now would be my advice. Show the Neptune Lounge your Invoice indicating "Table for Two" and you might be pleasantly surprised how hard the Concierge will work to correct HAL's error.

Joe, call the Ships Services Coordinator at HAL and ask that they contact your ship and confirm a table for two. We have always done that in the past, usually 3-4 months in advance. For our upcoming cruise in February we have confirmed "6-Top" Table #30, and for our Westerdam cruise in May, we've been confirmed for 2-Top Table #88.

We also book Neptune and Pinnacle cabins and usually the concierge is swamped on embarkation day. Twice, we've tried to make requests for dining changes when we boarded, but the Neptune staff couldn't get through to any of the dining venues. We had to go down to the desk set up near the dining room for the changes.

Hopefully it isn't too late, and good luck. :)

Ship Services Coordinator

Holland America Line

PHONE: 800 541 1576

I would check when you board. It could very well be that you have a 4-top for the two of you. We had one of those on two previous cruises. The first one was a surprise, the second one we had our TA request it, and got it. We asked for a specific table, in fact.

Just off Eurodam. We had requested a table for two. We were the only two at a nice 4-top table by a window. So happy we did not get one of the awkward 2-tops along the main aisle with all the passengers and tray-laden crew coming and going.