Gluten free on Princess Cays?

wdwmickey

I am gluten free (due to a food allergy). Will there be food available for me on Princess Cays or will I need to pack a protein bar to "tide me over" until we return to the ship?

Also, does gluten free dining work the same way on the Regal as it does on the smaller Princess ships (choose your menu items the night before)? TIA

There will be a ton of GF options available on the island. There is an extensive fruit bar and as prior poster said burgers/hot dogs/other proteins can be had w/out Bread. There are pre-made salads but there are also separate "fixin's" for the burgers (sliced tomatoes, lettuce, etc) if you are worried about any ingredients in the salad dressings for the marinated salads.

They will have hamburgers (skip the bun) and hot dogs. They may have fruit. I would certainly pack a protein bar-- as it is better to have it an not need it, than need it and not have it.

But are the hamburgers and hot dogs GF? There are sometimes additives, especially in hot dogs that make them not GF. Best advice is probably to ask on the ship. Also, even thought fruit is GF, there is a risk of cross contamination , with so many people and it being a salad bar type setup.

But are the hamburgers and hot dogs GF? There are sometimes additives, especially in hot dogs that make them not GF. Best advice is probably to ask on the ship. Also, even thought fruit is GF, there is a risk of cross contamination , with so many people and it being a salad bar type setup.

Agreed. I wonder if I could make a special request? I know on some cruise lines they will pack a special excursion lunch for those with food allergies.

Have you contacted the dietary requests people about your GF requirements in general? You may want to send them an email and ask about Princess Cays. If you do hear from them, please let us know their reply.

If it is a problem then pack some protein bars and then go and see what is available. As far as cross contamination that is always a possibility with food carried from the ship and items cooked on a "communal" cooking grill. After all is said and done it is up to you to make your choices with the information that is available.

Have you contacted the dietary requests people about your GF requirements in general? You may want to send them an email and ask about Princess Cays. If you do hear from them, please let us know their reply.

I did and I have sent them an e-mail. I haven't heard back yet so I was hoping maybe I could get some answers here.

I did and I have sent them an e-mail. I haven't heard back yet so I was hoping maybe I could get some answers here.

Make sure that you also speak with the Maitre'd and Head waiter in your MDR. If you do not have traditional dining, you may want to consider it. That way your dining staff can help you sort through the choices each evening.

That might not be true. Also, the Bahamas may have an issue with unpackaged food.

In all our trips to Princess Cays (and it has been quite a few) they have never once indicated that food should not be taken ashore, in the Patter or by announcement. If I had a food problem such as the OP I would certainly provide for my self instead of relying on an emailed answer.

First, every bit of food served on Princess Cays is taken from the ship, including meat and fruit and veggies and baked items. I do not recall seeing seeds or nuts, so I would avoid taking those over. But I don't think that's even necessary. There is plenty of chicken breast and fruit and salad on Princess Cays. I'm not a GF expert but I would think those things are all ok. You can ask ahead of time which salad dressings are GF and just use those on the island.

We took my mother last year and she is gluten free due to food allergy as well, she was afraid what options she would have to eat. She was amazed at the service and offerings for her. She had many different options at princess cay as well

We took my mother last year and she is gluten free due to food allergy as well, she was afraid what options she would have to eat. She was amazed at the service and offerings for her. She had many different options at princess cay as well

Thank you for your first hand info! I have cruised with Princess several times and they are very accommodating on the ships. Just wasn't sure about food options on Princess Cay.