Arriving at EWR @ 5:30am - what to do for a few hours?

DrivesLikeMario

Anyone have any suggestions as to what we should do to waste time until we can board the ship? We'll be arriving at EWR at 5:30AM and want to head to the port around 10:30AM-ish.

Is there anything to do in the area? I don't think we'll have time to go all the way into NYC for just a few hours and we'll have our suitcases with us. Any ideas? :confused:

Question - arriving on a domestic/US flight with luggages and not int'l involving CBP is the assumption herein, is the red-eyes (non-stop) flight on a weekend or weekday (and, from where - if you don't mind sharing) ?

And, you aren't members of any FF programs with club/lounge access on arrival - as the comfort could make it a worthwhile "daily" pass even if purchased - and, given the prices of the "typical" hotel full breakfast prices, not really that much more (the EWR Marriott is on site & a quick shuttle ride away) and you can check your bags with the bellhop - if desired. And, workout the ride options to Cape Liberty.

Otherwise, there's really nothing within walking distance of the airport terminals & not advised with morning traffic typically zipping by at 60+ mph by attempting to walk on the roadway shoulders (with bus & trucks on the local lanes)

Edited by mking8288

Question - arriving on a domestic/US flight with luggages and not int'l involving CBP is the assumption herein, is the red-eyes (non-stop) flight on a weekend or weekday (and, from where - if you don't mind sharing) ?

And, you aren't members of any FF programs with club/lounge access on arrival - as the comfort could make it a worthwhile "daily" pass even if purchased - and, given the prices of the "typical" hotel full breakfast prices, not really that much more (the EWR Marriott is on site & a quick shuttle ride away) and you can check your bags with the bellhop - if desired. And, workout the ride options to Cape Liberty.

Otherwise, there's really nothing within walking distance of the airport terminals & not advised with morning traffic typically zipping by at 60+ mph by attempting to walk on the roadway shoulders (with bus & trucks on the local lanes)

We'll be flying on a red-eye from SAN on UA in first class. Didn't even think of using the FF lounge! I wonder if they have an Arrivals Lounge? Any idea? Thanks for the help!

Flying F or BF, you should have access to United Club at both origination & destination airport, just need to show your valid BP's for entry. SAN-EWR typically arrived at Newark's Terminal C, and the "lounge" is open at 4:30AM for those predawn departure. If you need to pickup checked bags after leaving airside and then re-enter, you will need to clear TSA and they could give you a hard time. AFAIK, there is no UA Arrival Lounge - might be worth a direct phone call to UC to ask about whether you can re-enter (if you are doing carry--on bags only, it will make things easier ... especially with your more "generous" allowance for luggage. :D

Haven't been at EWR's UC in a while but it's a place to hangout for 3 hours, find a comfortable lounger for a nap, get some light snacks & refreshments, use the WiFi - etc. - until it's time to head over to your cruise. Not a great option but at least the time will go quicker & you don't have to shuttle over to the Marriott for breakfast ... plenty of food once you embark at CL.

Not really enough time for a worthwhile trip into NYC and there's isn't much to do in the immediate area, as the shopping/outlet malls don't open that early.

If you're sailing Summit, you're likely arriving early on a Sunday which is the quietest time if the week at the airport.

Would you consider spending money on a day room? The airport Marriott offers this option - http://deals.marriott.com/marriott-hotels-resorts/usa/nj/newark/newark-marriott-day-rates

I've heard a quote of $99 plus tax for a day room at the Marriott. Other hotels might offer similar options - you would have to call the managers at various hotels to find them.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what we should do to waste time until we can board the ship? We'll be arriving at EWR at 5:30AM and want to head to the port around 10:30AM-ish.

Is there anything to do in the area? I don't think we'll have time to go all the way into NYC for just a few hours and we'll have our suitcases with us. Any ideas? :confused:

The Brownstone Diner is in Jersey City. Good breakfast. It was on Diner, Drive-ins, and dives. It's close to the port. You could also check out Liberty State Park, which is also in Jersey City and close to the port.

Thanks so much everyone. I took some of your suggestions.

The Marriott does have the $99 day room (+ $15.35 taxes) but it's from 7:30am to 5:30pm. We'd still have 2 hrs. with nothing to do.

I think the Club Lounge is the best option but we WILL have 3 bags checked with us so getting back through EWR security after arriving may be hard. I've sent an email to the United dept. that should know whether we can re-enter or not and hopefully, they'll get back to me with a good answer.

I'm still up in the air on which way to go so I'll wait to hear back from UA. Thank you all SO much for the help! You guys are awesome! :)

If you're interested in a day room at all, call the hotel manager at the Marriott to see if earlier checkin could be arranged. For a 5:30 am arrival, it will take you about an hour to get off the plane, get your bags, and get to the hotel, so you're really looking at. 6:30 am hotel arrival time.

The Marriott does have the $99 day room (+ $15.35 taxes) but it's from 7:30am to 5:30pm. We'd still have 2 hrs. with nothing to do.

You could get a night rate since most hotels hold rooms until 7am and check out 11a to Noon, all depends on their terms.

Why not call the hotel directly?

Don't know UA club has one but hotel shower would be nice.

FWIW

Thanks so much everyone. I took some of your suggestions.

I think the Club Lounge is the best option but we WILL have 3 bags checked with us so getting back through EWR security after arriving may be hard. I've sent an email to the United dept. that should know whether we can re-enter or not and hopefully, they'll get back to me with a good answer.

I'm still up in the air on which way to go so I'll wait to hear back from UA. Thank you all SO much for the help! You guys are awesome! :)

Every Club Lounge we have been in are after you pass through security in the departure terminals, so unless this one is different, you wouldn't have to work your way back through security. Just deplane and find the one nearest the gate and relax.

Cole

Every Club Lounge we have been in are after you pass through security in the departure terminals, so unless this one is different, you wouldn't have to work your way back through security. Just deplane and find the one nearest the gate and relax.

Cole

That's a really bad idea. You don't want to leave your checked luggage unattended on the baggage carousel while you're lounging in the United Club lounge. You may never see your bags again.

Both United Club lounges at EWR Terminal C are airside so you can't collect your luggage and then use the lounge as you won't be allowed to return to the secured area.

Exactly what I was thinking. I'm not leaving my bags in the baggage claim area unattended for 4 or so hours.

I just got an email from United saying we can't use the lounge anyway! Can you believe it? We're on a transcon flight in first class. Nope. Can't use it. Crazy! Oh well, it probably wouldn't have worked anyway having to go back through security.

So, it looks like the day-use hotel room is the way to go. I'll definitely ask if we can access it at 6:30am instead of 7:30am. We'll be checking out way ahead of time so hopefully, they'll agree.

Thanks for the help everyone! :)

Exactly what I was thinking. I'm not leaving my bags in the baggage claim area unattended for 4 or so hours.

I just got an email from United saying we can't use the lounge anyway! Can you believe it? We're on a transcon flight in first class. Nope. Can't use it. Crazy! Oh well, it probably wouldn't have worked anyway having to go back through security.

So, it looks like the day-use hotel room is the way to go. I'll definitely ask if we can access it at 6:30am instead of 7:30am. We'll be checking out way ahead of time so hopefully, they'll agree.

Thanks for the help everyone! :)

I use the United Club at EWR fairly often and it looks like they're tightening the rules governing use of the lounges. In fact I used it on Sunday and your post caused me to check the rules. To my surprise it appears as though my ticket technically didn't permit me to use the club although it had in the past. The person at the desk must have decided to let me in anyway...perhaps because it was 5 am and the room was empty.

I use the United Club at EWR fairly often and it looks like they're tightening the rules governing use of the lounges. In fact I used it on Sunday and your post caused me to check the rules. To my surprise it appears as though my ticket technically didn't permit me to use the club although it had in the past. The person at the desk must have decided to let me in anyway...perhaps because it was 5 am and the room was empty.

I guess you got lucky. I'm not used to flying UA. Really surprised about that rule though. With AA, we can always use their lounges on a Bus/First ticket.

Cole,

Sorry for posting here but trying to reach you in regards to a previous post about Dublin. You had mentioned getting on the hop on/off from shuttle. We are traveling w/Princess in June. Do you remember where exactly the shuttle dropped you and which hop on stop was closest?

Thanks.

I guess you got lucky. I'm not used to flying UA. Really surprised about that rule though. With AA, we can always use their lounges on a Bus/First ticket.

UA has pretty much always been access only on a international first/biz ticket. Domestic first doesn't get you in. I'm pretty sure AA is the same way. I have seen the agents turn away people in SFO, DFW, MIA and SEA (Alaska Air board room was the nicest of the bunch in explaining why they can't enter) (I have membership in both United club and Admirals club because of my credit cards so it doesn't really effect me either way)

Edited by TruckerDave

Flying F or BF, you should have access to United Club at both origination & destination airport

Not typically available for domestic flights, only international and selected transcontinental flights.

I just got an email from United saying we can't use the lounge anyway! Can you believe it? We're on a transcon flight in first class. Nope. Can't use it. Crazy!

It is actually a fairly common practice. Delta has the same policy: First/Biz pax only get lounge access if traveling on a transoceanic flight, or selected transcontinental flights. For Delta selected transcons are defined as those going between JFK-LAX, or JFK-SFO. United likely has the same policy just substituting Newark for JFK. And it's not really as crazy as it sounds. If every transcon pax got to use the airline lounge it would be packed all the time, considering the number of flights and pax involved (JFK, LGA, EWR, BOS, PHL, DCA, LAX, SFO, SAN, SEA, SMF, MIA etc. Never mind those that would argue that ATL, CLT, LAS, PIT, MCO etc. are close enough to the coast to be considered transcon)